Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decoratorgirl_gw

Best products to remove wallpaper?

decoratorgirl
15 years ago

Have tried spraying Downy fabric softener mixed w/ hot water to remove wallpaper affixed 20+ yrs. Instead of paying the sheetrock technician several hundred dollars to patch, I'm considering covering with venetian plaster application. Any comments are much appreciated!

Comments (12)

• live_wire_oak
    15 years ago

Rent a wallpape steamer after using a paper tiger. If the wall wasn't properly primed and sized before application, even that won't work without pulling of some drywall chunks.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I had the joy of removing layers of wallpaper at a friends place once. Time and water was the solution. We used a small furry time painter's roller, warm water, soaked the darn stuff (and I mean soaked), took a break, then started peeling. Good luck!

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Slowly removing wallpaper from 1980 on walls not primed and sized before application. I score a section, soak with really hot water, apply full strength Dif with a spray bottle, and start to gently peel and scrap. Mine is coming off in two layers so I repeat all but the scoring a second time. Then a third (and 4th) time to get off the glue residue. I work each weekend but rest my neck and arm muscles during the week! I'm through the mud room, almost through the kitchen and still have a powder room and full bath to go. Only my paper in the two story front foyer will stay and I will NOT put in any new paper. I am not missing the bunnies and flowers one bit.

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

After several bottles of DIF and many gouged walls, I bought a steamer. Best investment of my life!! I will never remove wallpaper without one again. Scoring the paper first is an additional help.

• worldmom
    15 years ago

We just took down MILES of 1960s wallpaper in our home. It was stuck to bare, unprimed/painted plaster. (It would have had other wallpaper prior to this, so someone went to the effort to take down the original paper, and then put new stuff right over the old plaster. Sigh...)

Anyway, we used a wallpaper tiger, a rented steamer (from Ace) and a few good scrapers. It was slow going, but did the trick. The steamer was worth its weight in gold!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

We tried steaming, the tiger and everything else we could find a suggestion for to no avail in another house. I don't know what the paper hanger did with that paper, but if we continued, we would have had to replace the sheetrock rather than repair. We sealed the seams and mudded them to smooth them, primed with KILZ and then put the new finish on top of that. We applied new wallpaper in some areas and painted in others -- both worked fine.

You only want to do that with a single layer of paper and a plain paper. You are basically making that paper the new top of the sheetrock and bonding it permanently. If you have a flocked, textured, vinyl or other special covering, it won't work.

• alku05
    15 years ago

What works best will really depend on the type of glue that the wall paper has. We removed two types of wall paper from out front entry (both of which had been there 15-20 yrs), and one type had a gummy glue that Dif worked wonders on. The other kind had a pasty glue that the Dif didn't touch. Hot water is what we used, but a steamer would have been really effective.

• lvmy4kds
    15 years ago

After trying many methods I had the best luck with downey, vinegar and water. It is a terrible job. Good luck!

• fern76
    15 years ago

This is how I did it (Full kitchen, dining area and great room: (pasted vinyl, one layer and borders forever) I used a bottle mister with plain water to dampen it, then used a steamer (bought from lowe's or home depot - great investment) without the attachment (which leaks all over). Without the attachments, the steamer looks like a vacuum without it's attachments. It has a trigger mechanism which allows you to really shoot the steam where you need it. It was pretty powerful and was well controlled. I did go through a tank of water about every 20 minutes, but I wasn't complaining, previously, years ago I had used my iron and wet towels to steam the stupid stuff off (foil paper in the bathroom)!

Start at the seams or along the top, soak a whole couple of lengths of paper. When you get back to the beginning and use the steam, it kind of works like (almost) magic. You do have to figure out how long to keep the steam on each area, just keep going over the damp area for a bit and then start the seam/corner with a knife. Keep the steam going on each area as you pull each sheet down. Keep a small putty knife or pocket knife handy to help start each corner/seam... I found that scoring with a tiger just caused it to rip more often.

The key is patience...or getting someone else to do it! You'll be an expert by the time you're done. Good Luck!

• mariofo
    15 years ago

I gave up on removing grass cloth that was 16 feet up all my walls. It was not sized and the glue was like a clay mixture. What a mess! We removed the first layer of the paper ourselves. We had someone skim coat the walls and they came out great.

The master bedroom had perfect wallpaper and it would not come off the wall with out great damage to the Sheetrock. We used a product called seal grip and then primed and painted right over the paper. You could not tell at all. There was no way of getting the paper off.

I did try dif, softener, steamer, paper tiger etc. I just think some paper is on there for life. The other rooms in the house came down no problem. We bought a 30 year old home completely covered in ugly wallpaper in each room. I feel for you.

• PRO
    Wallpaper By Lesley
    6 years ago

There are a lot of good suggestions in this thread! As a professional wallpaper installer, I can tell you that it can be a trial by error process. You try one thing, and if that doesn't work, go to plan B, then plan C, etc. When I'm pricing a removal for a client, I estimate for worst case scenario, and then come down if the removal is less difficult. THE KEY TO "EASY" WALLPAPER REMOVAL is whether or not the original installer did a good job on wall preparation, i.e. making sure the wall surface is sound and then sealing the wall with the appropriate primer. Unfortunately, I won't know this until I begin the removal, and neither will you. A professional will know how to get the paper off with the least amount of damage to your walls, and how to best repair any damage that occurs. It may cost more to hire a professional, but in the long run, it may cost you a lot less! To those of you brave enough to tackle this feat on your own, "good for you!" When you're done you'll be able to say, "I did that!". You'll probably also be saying, "I'm never going to do that again!" Happy Walls!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Lesley is right - it's all about how the wall was prepped. I worked at a Laura Ashley store right after it opened. All the walls were wallpapered with LA wallpaper. After 2 years, our regional manager wanted the wallpaper replaced. We were to do the work ourselves! I was chosen as I was the only one who had ever wallpapered before. Oh boy! The walls had not been painted, primed or sized. Getting that paper off without removing the paper from the drywall was horrendous! Did I mention the store had 12 ft ceilings? And I had to be dressed in Laura Ashley while I was up on the ladder?

In the end, the best "products" were LOTS of VERY hot water and LOTS of elbow grease.