Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brickton

Brickton's Finished Kitchen

brickton
11 years ago

We started our house in the fall of 2011 and moved in at the end of October 2012. Through out the design and build of the house I made use of gardenweb like nobody's business. Since then I've fallen off but I did want to come back to post finished pictures and to thank everyone who helped. Countless people answered questions, provided sources, gave tips and feedback and generally rocked my socks with their helpfulness.

Some older shots with at least decent lighting:

The kitchen was nearly finished when we moved in, but we finally got the soapstone windowsill in a few weeks ago and then the last window trimmed. For months it didn't bother us that it wasn't finished, we were just so glad that we had a house and huge beautiful kitchen. And then we were done with the exposed sheetrock edge and 2x4 window sill, so thankfully we were able to get the sill in and the last bit of trim done.

Here is the sill and it's backstory

And with the finished window trim (which you can barely see because of the lighting .. meh)

These shots are at night, but with 4 kids it's tough to find a time during the day where the kitchen looks anywhere near this orderly. I'm trying to mix in some earlier shots that show the colors a little better. The color is definitely true-er in the first photo.

Here are most of the details that I can think of. If I miss anything let me know, I'd be happy to help others to pay forward all the good advice and help we received. There are also more details here.

Details:
Cabinets: Custom from Olde Saratoga Millwork painted in pure white (actually their primer base color + finish coat) instead of a colored white. The green was color matched to Benjamin Moore fernwood green. It's spring enough without being too bright and intense.
Knobs: Wooden knobs from eBay spray painted Oiled
Rubbed Bronze (no finish... and it shows after 1 year)

Cup pulls and pantry handle ... I have no idea but could probably look it up if anyone cares.

Cabinet over peninsula: Antique found in a barn on my parent's property

Corbels: Stock from Home Depot

Cafe Curtains: Something my wife made

Sink: 32" half divided farmhouse sink from Alfi bought online through Blue Bath on eBay

Faucet: Moen Lindely Faucet bought on eBay

Stools: Ikea Henriksdal stools that DESPERATELY need new slipcovers. We wash the covers constantly due to our kids, and they come out very clean, but are starting to tear. At $10 a pop though, we don't mind replacing them every year for a while.

Peninsula Light: Gallery track lights from PB off eBay

Pendant Light: PB Calhoun Pendant with plastic replacement globe considering the glass one didn't even make it through my installation and PB would not let me buy just a replacement globe.

Beam Lights: World Imports Essen Dark Sky 6" sconces
Under cabinet: LED lights from LEDWholesalers on Amazon

Soapstone is from Dave Brushett of Central New England Soapstone and it's great.

Butcherblock is 42" x 84" minerva wood from Perfect Plank, bought online and shipped. I trimmed it to length, sanded the edges and oiled it.

Beams were bought from Virtual Timbers and finished on site in Minwax Provincial, no poly. They are fake box beams (real wood, but not solid), and we love them. I think they are the hand hewn finish.

Floors are rustice white oak wide plank in 5" - 8" (I think) wide planks finished with Minwax Provincial and Waterlox.

Comments (20)

• taggie
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen, so warm and homey and classy looking all at the same time, you must be so thrilled. I especially like the microwave and toaster area, it looks so functional as a small snack area for the kids while keeping the prep and cook zone free from traffic. And the pulls and knobs and black counters against the while cabs look so wonderful! Lovely kitchen, enjoy!

• carp123
    11 years ago

looks so great!! It really feels warm and cozy. I love the rug too!

• heidihausfrau
    11 years ago

Very nice! I really love the beams--reminds me of the house I grew up in. Nice job!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Howdy, neighbor! I am assuming you live somewhere close to me based on your list, I'm between Albany and Saratoga.

Your kitchen is very lovely. I love your soapstone, and that sill looks like it was worth the wait! Those open shelves look wonderful too!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

What a warm looking kitchen and it looks so functional. I really like the butcher block on the peninsula and the way it leads into the wood shelving-cabinet hanging on the wall. Is there a story to the cabinet because it is very cool looking.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Very nice. It looks like it is a very comfy kitchen and one that you can enjoy working in. I love your soapstone and the butcher block peninsula. Congratulations on a job well done. Hope you get to enjoy it for many, many years to come.

• smiling
    11 years ago

So much to love about everything you did! That butcherblock just warms up the whole room, and I love the loaves of bread cooling there! It was great thinking to use the open shelves in the corner, too, because it makes the room look so spacious and open. Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Hi Brickton! I was just wondering the other day what happened to the rest of the kitchen built around that yummy wood counter. I remember when you installed it. The cabinet above it is very special adds a lovely personal touch to your charming kitchen.

I'm so glad you came back to show us how it all turned out!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Really nice. Nice area for the mw.

Enjoy!

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Very nice! To have so much counter space would be a blessing. Love your soapstone and wood counters! Your kitchen is so inviting. You did a nice job. Congratulations!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Very beautiful(cosy & so functional).Love the soapstone & butcher block counters. I'm jealous of all your drawer stacks, so much nice looking storage.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

Hi Brickton! Love your kitchen. How are you liking the butcher block peninsula? I am considering doing something much the same!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I remember your posts on DIY soapstone, when I first joined GW.

I love the beams, the open shelves, and the colors you've chosen. Congratulations on your new home and your lovely kitchen.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Nice job on a beautiful kitchen! I actually like the delayed pix, because we get to see what it looks like after having been lived in. Lovely.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I've always loved your kitchen, so I'm glad to see it again. I didn't realize you had the counter & sill detail. I'm such a fan of that (as in coming soon in my remodel.)

Congratulations on being officially done!

• Mary Kate May
    9 years ago

Hi! Where did you get the plastic replacement globe for the calhoun pottery barn pendant? My glass one broke last night. Thank you!

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Very nice, I love the sink and the microwave cabinet.

• brickton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I purchased the replacement globe through Superior Lighting. I ended up drilling holes to put in thumb screws to hold it in place. It definitely doesn't look as nice as the glass.. but it's better than buying a whole new one or replacing it.

• kelleg69
    9 years ago

Brickton, is your microwave an OTC (over the counter) one? Or, just a regular MW on a shelf?

• brickton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's just a normal countertop microwave that we made a shelf for. It's a rather large (2.0 cu ft) model so it sticks out a bit from the cabinet but we're happy with it.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz