Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eco-friendly shelf liner ideas?

Posted by NewEnglandSara (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 21:45

Hi All,

I am looking for affordable shelf liner that is as non-toxic as possible. I found something that looked promising at The Container Store, but it would cost me $19.99 to line each cabinet! :-( Any other ideas for PVC-free liners that are easy to use and long-lasting?

Thanks so much!
Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eco-friendly shelf liner ideas?

What about cork? They make the adhesive backed kind specifically for shelf lining and rolls without adhesive. I didn't do the math, so I'm not sure how much it woul cost per cabinet.

I can't get the link to paste in the right place using the iPad, but if you search for cork shelf liner on Amazon, it will come up.

o

Cork is eco friendly and affordable. You can save a lot of money by buying cork in a in a big roll w/o adhesive. I got a roll of 1/8 thick Wayfair for about $60. Home Depot also has rolls.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1/8 thick cork roll

o

For what purpose are you lining the shelves?

For ease of cleaning?
For decorative purposes?
For cushioning against small jolts?
For quiet?

How about fabric? I'm thinking of something along the line of thick linen (real 100% flax), neatly hemmed flat, or just overcast/serged if it's too thick for hemming.

Or if it's for cushioning (say in a deep drawer where dishes are stored) then fabric covers over thin pads made from Quiet-Table felting.

Fabrics would be inexpensive and completely washable and re-usable. If you decided to go for another look, they'd easily be repurposed as cleaning or drying cloths, depending on what they were made of.

If you just want a thin layer, try butchers' paper cut to size in one or two layers. You could eventually reuse that to start fires.

HTH,

L.

o

My grandmother just used old newspaper cut "paper doll" style into decorative doily shapes on the edging. I don;t think you can get more eco friendly than recycled newspapers! The main purpose of using it was to keep the stored items from sticking to the painted shelves. Today's modern melamine lined cabinets do not functionally need shelf liner to keep dishes from sticking or to protect the shelves from damp dishes. The only functional reason for it is if you have very delicate dishes that would chip if you set them down a bit hard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here