Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iualum_gw

Anyone out there with Verde Borgogna granite?

IUalum
12 years ago

I am considering Verde Borgogna in my kitchen. Does anyone have this granite or any experience with it? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• zartemis
    12 years ago

Names vary from stone seller to stone seller, but we have a stone that our fabricator insisted was 'verde borgogna'. We bought from a yard that called it 'Autumn green quartzite' and saw similar at other yards under the both the names 'verde karzai' and 'verde borgogna'. We didn't see anything called 'verde fantastico' in the stone yards we went to, but that's another name our stone has been called. There was lots of variation in how these varigated green stones appear from stone yard to stone yard, and even from lot to lot within a yard and a single name. Some places considered them 'granites', some 'quartzites'.

Because our piece has so much movement and variation in stone, I consider it one of the more fragile types from a fissure perspective, especially since after fabrication, on the underside narrow laminated piece, some of the natural fissures did crack along them and you can just barely feel them with your fingernail on the underside of the overhang along the edge. Prior to fabrication none of the fissures would catch on a fingernail. Once glued to support (ours is, unusually, affixed to sheet steel) the natural fissures in the stone are no longer a worry. (BTW, ours is 2cm).

Here are some photos of ours, but our lighting and the reflected surfaces of our kitchen make it challenging to replicate well. It does make a luscious background for food photos, though!

Food (rotisseried pineapple):

Drink (Vanilla Gorilla from PDT Cocktail book):

• adpi4
    11 years ago

I too have it in my kitchen. Just on my island ( to help control costs!) I love it. We did our kitchen 2006 and still LOVE it! Mine looks very similar to the person who posted. I did see differences between slabs, some I didn't like at all, so make sure you see your slab and don't pick it from a small sample piece in a showroom.

• lauchamber
    10 years ago

I have it in my kitchen as well. I just love it - love looking at it.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful pics zartemis!

• v3ra
    9 years ago

Wondering if the original poster ever got the VB? We plan to get this for our island. We, too, have realized the great variations of different slabs. I was appalled by the slab chosen by the fabricator, which was nothing like the representative slab at the slabyard. I nixed that quick! Waiting for a new shipment. I've seen it as both granite and quartzite on the web. I was certain our supplier called it quartzite, but a different company called it granite. It does not have any of the grainy appearance that I associate with granite, so I also thought it was quartzite.

Do you seal it on a regular basis? Did anyone pair it with dark cabinets? Have you had any issues with cracking? I'm not familiar with pieces being laminated or supported by sheets of steel. Has anyone else had to do this?

• evnicole
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have it in my kitchen, and it is incredibly gorgeous (go pick your slab in person) but is a bit delicate for granite. Where heavier plates or glasses have fallen, it's chipped, and has done so around the sink as well. I've had it for over 5 years now and still just stare at it because it has such depth and beauty.

• PRO
    Spaces Defined
    3 years ago

Huge Verde Begonia, slabs 2cm 133x81 going to make a heated soaking tub. It's going to be like soaking in a ninja turtle.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville