Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Budget friendly traditional/transitional backsplash tile?

Posted by pseudochef (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 21:39

Today I went to look at a tile store in town to see what options might be for backsplash and floor tile. There was a ton of natural stone type and glass tile but I didn't see anything that looked very traditional. Everything looked like it belonged in a modern house or a new build here in TX (there's a certain look all the new build houses have). Our home is more traditional/transitional, from the 70's, and that's more my taste. I've seen some beautiful backsplash tiles on here, but I'm afraid they're out of our budget. The contractor has priced us with a $6.50/sf price point and I'd like to stay somewhat close. So does anyone have any good sources or brands that are online to look at?

Here's one I like,

and another...

The backsplash tile...don't think the bird is anywhere near our price range.

I'll add that we'll be having medium/dark stained cabinets. I don't know what countertop yet, I'm trying to sort of take a first pass at everything all at once and then narrow things down.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Budget friendly traditional/transitional backsplash tile?

Don't laugh, but check out Ann Sacks. They have a basics line with some options that may be in your price point.

We are doing the Arden beveled subway in cream for $7.33 sq ft.

I think the bevel gives the subway a bit of a modern update without being modern, if that makes sense.

Here is a link that might be useful: AS Basics

o

i read from a favourite blog of mine that Home Depot has inexpensive marble subway tiles for $5.50sqft. they live in Richmond VA.

o

Lowes and Home Depot have white subway tile for $1.80 per sq ft. It's a classic! I was going to use this but then went even cheaper and used beadboard wallpaper.

o

Thanks everyone. I do like the white subway tiles but I think my husband would really prefer something more colorful. I'll check out the Annie Sacks site. Are there any other websites?

o

Not sure what part of Texas you're in, but we just had a Floor & Decor Outlet open near Ft. Worth. You can look online, but it's more fun to look in person in you have one.

I know I recently saw a tile online similar to what you posted. I'll have to see if I can remember where it was.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor and Decor

o

Grazia Rixi is sometimes available at that price point.

o

I have ordered samples from this site. Coincidentally for you, they are in Texas, though it seems you'd have to visit a reseller to shop in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mosaic Tile Supplies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here