Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
33acres

MUST make backsplash decision!

Carol.33
10 years ago

I posted a couple of weeks ago with pictures of some crackle tiles that we were considering for our backsplash. These were all shades of white and cream. Because we are too far over budget with the house, we decided not to go that route. What I am looking at now is just a simple plain subway tile. Can't decide on the color though. Please help. Cream or gray??
This is the kitchen (new house) which is a corner of a very large great room. The cabinets are quarter sawn oak in a medium light stain, island is painted sand color, granite is River White, and floors are character hickory.

And another.
These are the tiles with the island

and with the oak

and another shot

Can't decide!! Please give me your opinions!

Comments (85)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Is there some reason you haven't even considered black subway? I see more black or a dark charcoal in the countertop that gray. You have black cabinet hardware, and I think the black tile would pull it all together. If you had a huge expanse of backsplash it might be too much, but being it's long and narrow I'm thinking it could be stunning with your cabinets!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

It's hard to judge because the lighting is so different in your kitchen (left, right on vertical tiles). Having said that, I'd prefer a lighter, creamier tile, ideally like the paint of the island. I'm assuming that that color goes well with the counters.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I think you need some depth, so I would go darker, especially with the Craftsman influences.

Those cabinets are SO gorgeous!

Nancy

• ReBe231
    10 years ago

I think the cream is nice with your countertop, brightens it up a bit.

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FingNug, Lynn, and whoever else mentioned the Allen and Roth Fawn tile from Lowes - The cream tiles in the pictures ARE Allen and Roth Fawn tiles from Lowes. The gray ones are Allen and Roth in the color Pearl. They are $4 a square foot. Can't beat that!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Carol.33, I am sure if you switch the tiles to the other counters, they will look differently. Can you do that for us with no lights on in the day light and with the lights on? I am thinking the fawn/cream would be best.

• nuggly
    10 years ago

I will get one of my kids to help me post a pic of what is up so far on my BS...can't figure it out myself :( The Fawn does change in different lighting, but still has a creamier look. Also I need your advice. I'm second guessing myself on what I planned to put in the picture frame over the cooktop. Going to church to pray for guidance, lol. This backsplash is killing me...

• bblakeney
    10 years ago

Definitely the cream color tile. I would have only used the gray if your perimeter cabinets were the same color as the island.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

I used the Pearl tile in the 4x12 size in my kitchen. I find that it looks taupe in natural light but takes on a greyish cast when my under counter lights are on. They are beautiful tiles when installed and look hand glazed. Did you look at the chocolate color? Misnamed in my opinion but they are a hair darker than pearl.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

From seeing this picture, I like the Pearl the best as it goes better with your counter and appliances. I can't wait to see it installed!

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Carol- send me an email and I will send some pics tomorrow. (click on My Page next to my screen name for the link to my email).

• romy718
    10 years ago

As I was reading your post, I didn't know which was the Pearl as pearls are frequently a creamy white. I was hoping you picked the gray as they look fabulous in your new picture. Perfect choice!

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

Hi Carol...Any updates?

Did you go with the Allen + Roth?

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Divastyleâ¦.. thank you for asking. Yes, we went with the Allen & Roth Pearl. We were at the end of the long process of building a home; we were tired of decision making and seriously low on funds! These tiles are from Lowes and they are $5/sq ft. We are very happy with how it turned out. The grey is very warm, almost taupy. I think they go very nice with the QS oak and with the River White counters.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

That looks beautiful. love the wood kitchen:). My last kitchen had quarter sawn white oak.....so so beautiful.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Carol, your backsplash turned out beautifully. Looks to me like you obsessed for months over your choice & made a perfect one.

• corgimum
    9 years ago

That turned out great. Love the pearl color in your kitchen!

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

Carol-very nice! Congrats on the choice and on being finished. Are you moved in??? You best head over to the build forum with an update! ;)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow! I love the pearl! It is perfect with your kitchen. Welcome to the ABB alumni club!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

It looks very harmonious together, do you have any far back shots to post as in the before photos that you can see the whole kitchen with the island included. I'd love to see it from that view.

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

Wow. That is gorgeous and perfect.

I am in the market for backsplash and am considering the allen roth subways in pearl. I bought a box and I think that it is matches my wall color and my granite a bit too much for my preferences. So I am considering the fawn or white. I liked the quality and the price!

Thank you for updating.

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the help and complements. What a great place this is! I don't post much, but I read ALOT!

Autumn - Yes, we moved in the middle of April and we love it! It's so peaceful and quiet⦠right in the middle of 33 acres.

Diva - You're right, the quality is very good and the price is right!

Arkansas, this one's for youâ¦..

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

Carol, so warm and lovely! Well done... May you enjoy it for years to come!

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, and one other thingâ¦.

I ordered stools the other day. They are a plain, unfinished stool with a back. They remind me of an old schoolhouse chair. I plan to paint them a darker color than my accent color (SW Halcyon Green) which I believe is called Underseas. Then I will distress them just a tad on the edges. I ordered 4. You can't see from the picture, but to the right of the fridge is a wide hallway that goes back and behind and it is painted Halcyon Green. Then across the room is the sunroom which is also painted that color. It has a beautiful vaulted wood ceiling. Hoping the stools tie the blue/green into the kitchen. I love that color!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Happy, appreciative smile here, love how the backsplash turned out and how beautiful it is with your cabinets!

• sarawhite814
    9 years ago

I'm considering the same allen roth pearl tile for my backsplash. What color grout did you use? Your kitchen is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

• kksmama
    9 years ago

Lovely! Thanks for the pictures, enjoy your gorgeous space.

• basketlacey
    9 years ago

It's gorgeous! Now I'm leaning towards just plain subway tile for mine!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Love it! Perfect choice!! Lovely kitchen.

• User
    8 years ago

Beautiful. I myself am in the process of getting the A&R Pearl, in fact, I just got home from Lowes to check grout colors, what grout color did you use? and how did you decide?

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's been a while, but I believe it was called snow. I wanted something that wasn't pure white, but that showed contrast with the gray tiles. I obsessed over it nearly as much as the tile. Happy with it. Since last year, we got counter stools. Chose unfinished ones and painted them the darker shade of the color on the accent wall.

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Why do my pictures change from big to little after I file them?

• Jeannine Fay
    8 years ago

Carol, your kitchen is stunning. I pinned it when you were looking for a backslash because I loved the cabinets. Now, all together, it's just the most lovely warm happy place. Thanks for the updated pics.

Carol.33 thanked Jeannine Fay
  • laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Carol, how lovely your kitchen is! I gasped when I saw this last picture with the stools. They're perfect. Everything looks GREAT together. It's so nice to see the fiesta ware on display.

When you (or others) click on your picture, it will enlarge, so no worries. : )

May I pin your last photo? I'd like to save it for inspiration.

Carol.33 thanked laughablemoments
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

WOw = your kitchen is so warm and it's just gorgeous. I love the splashes of colour from your dishes and the backsplash and stools are the perfect backdrop colour for the dishes as well. So very, very nice.

Carol.33 thanked blfenton
  • Carol.33
    Original Author
    8 years ago

laughable, sure thing! I see now that you can click on the pic and it becomes big, but why did the ones I posted last year stay big and now they post small? We did get a different laptop, is there a setting that needs to be changed or is this a Houzz/Garden Web thing?

• laughablemoments
    8 years ago

Thanks Carol. : ) I think the differences you see in pic sizes is a Houzz/GW thing.

• Lars
    8 years ago

I preferred the gray ones from the beginning and think you made the right choice. White would have created too much glare, and the gray seems to pick up some green in the room and looks perfect with the green stools you have. I really like green in a kitchen. I also like the warmth of your wood cabinets.

Carol.33 thanked Lars
  • User
    8 years ago

Did you have Lowes install them, or did you hire a different contractor?

• greenwoodframed
    8 years ago

Carol- this looks lovely! Love the counter. If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimension in your kitchen? Do you have a floor plan you wouldn't mind sharing?

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Joan - we had the guy who did all the tiling in the house do the backsplash. We considered doing it ourselves, but he was only going to charge $300 to do it so we decided to not bother.

Day - the kitchen area is about 16 X 16 and part of a large great room. The island is 5 X 7 1/2.

• Denise Ciaralli
    7 years ago
    We recently installed these....they turned out fantastic and were easy to work with.
  • brookeimatson
    6 years ago

Carol - where did you get your cabinet pulls?

• Liz Antoniel
    6 years ago

I agree with the black/white subway tile for this kitchen. It would look classy with those cabinets/countertops. Your kitchen is beautiful!

• Helen
    6 years ago

Love the color of the stain. Is this quarter sawn red oak or white oak? I'm in the process of finalizing my wood choices. Thanks

• Adrienne
    5 years ago

Hello! Where did you purchase your cabinets from? I love them!!! Would love to know if they are white or red oak also. Hope to hear form you soon.

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    The way the painted backsplash looks in the second photo is the perfect color for your cabinets. It's a grey with a blue green cast. I would find a subway tile that color and tie in your counters with grout that matches the lightest color in it.
  • PRO
    Able Kitchen & Bath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hello! I know this is an older post but what counter tops were installed?