Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
MUST make backsplash decision!

Posted by Carol.33 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 21:37

I posted a couple of weeks ago with pictures of some crackle tiles that we were considering for our backsplash. These were all shades of white and cream. Because we are too far over budget with the house, we decided not to go that route. What I am looking at now is just a simple plain subway tile. Can't decide on the color though. Please help. Cream or gray??
This is the kitchen (new house) which is a corner of a very large great room. The cabinets are quarter sawn oak in a medium light stain, island is painted sand color, granite is River White, and floors are character hickory.  photo IMG_2204_zps2b5fe89b.jpg
And another.
 photo IMG_2227_zps27ebbbcd.jpgThese are the tiles with the island photo IMG_2229_zpsd7542021.jpg
and with the oak  photo IMG_2233_zps12fb413b.jpg
and another shot photo IMG_2237_zps76570c71.jpg
Can't decide!! Please give me your opinions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: MUST make backsplash decision!

White

o

I'm not sure about the cream, but gray definitely looks wrong to me.

o

They both look like a good match lying on the counter. In both vertical pictures, the cream looks too white & I think the gray looks too cool for the cabinets. That may not be the case, in real life. The cream may be a perfect match & the photos are not portraying the real colors.

o

Yeah, not gray for sure.

o

The cream would look very nice in my opinion and tie in the island.

o

Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder, and the beholder that is most important is you! My first gut reaction was that the grey looked better (so opposite all the above commentators), I think it flows better, the white seems to offer too much contrast.

If you don't love it, I would hold off. (Mind you, keep in mind, it took me 4 years to find my perfect BS, so you may not have my patience!)

o

grey by a long shot, imho

o

The vertical placement changes everything, and is the most representative of what you're going to get. The grey looks fine in the horizontal plane, not fine in either vertical image. I agree w romy. Neither is quite right. Is there a reason you only have two colors to chose from?

o

I'm excited to see your installed River White - I just picked my slabs of the same stone :) . Your kitchen is looking fantastic.

What I've noticed about River White is that it has some pretty strong green and beige undertones - I would try to pick a light coloured tile (lighter than the grey one) that picks those undertones up a bit more than the ones you have. I think the white kind of "dirties" the stone, and the grey is fighting with the beige/green undertones. IMHO.

o

More color? Kitchen seems really bland to me

o

The reason that I only have these two colors is that I'm trying not to make this decision so difficult (and expensive). We are at the end of this process of building a house with just a few more decisions to make and not much money left. These are just inexpensive Lowe's tiles. I know that we will be happy with whatever we decide, just looking for some opinions from the GW experts. Any INEXPENSIVE ideas?? The accent wall that you cannot see is SW Halcyon Green (blue-green) and I plan to get unpainted counter stools and paint them that color also.

o

I don't think you have the right tile yet. I'd keep looking. Not that your two options are horrible or anything, just not right.

o

What color is the wall paint? I can't tell if it's a sort of antique white, or grey based. I think the grey subway tile goes with the colors but will bring down the emotional tone in the kitchen quite a bit with a shadowy, darker feeling in the space between the counter and cabinets, so I wouldn't opt for it, personally for THAT reason. The cream subway tile is going to look a little stark (brightness level higher than surrounding brightnesses) and POP that space open in the other direction (opposite effect as the grey), visually. Of the two, I'd pick the cream. Ideally, I'd find a tile that matches the island cabinetry, though. I think the cream will compete with it as differing whites (cream tile vs. island sand).

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 7:57

o

The grey is lovely with the island configuration but the tiles will be with your gorgeous oak cabinets. It just seems to me that the grey over there makes that area deflate a bit. I think the cream would be brighter, especially under the upper cabinets. Good luck!

o

One thing that is making it really tough to tell for sure is that your lighting is radically different for the two different colors when you have the photo showing them as on your backsplash. Your lighter one is getting hit much more directly by the sunlight, your grey is in shadowed area.

All that said, I don't think that either one is quite the right match. The light one is TOO light, and the grey one is a bit too grey.

I feel your pain - we're just about done picking our tile. The one that wound up finally being "right" totally blew our budget. It was ridiculous. I really wanted one of the others to work that were 1/2 the cost...and...they just didn't. In the end, we decided that if we didn't go with the tile we loved, we would really regret it - you see it...a lot. And while it's understated, if it was the wrong color, it would look horrible. I hate to say, "Price be da**ed, but within reason, you may want to go with what you love if there's any way that you can possibly afford to - you don't want to have to rip the backsplash out and redo it again in just a few years.

o

your choices of cabinets and counters are really beautiful!
I like the grey better and I agree with others that the white seems too light.

o

I like the cream. I think it will play nicely with your island color and give you a bit more flexibility in your great room, I definitely don't think your kitchen is bland with those great oak cabinets, instead I think all these elements are going to harmonize really well and create a kitchen that is comfortable, understated, soothing, and will work no matter what decor you choose in the rest of the great room.

o

I don't think you need to spend a lot, but would be wise to either find something you are more sure about, or just not have a backsplash for awhile. Feisty68 saw it the way I did, you have cool white tones in the granite and the cream appears yellow/warm.
I hope, but doubt, that you will be happy with whatever you decide - you are just understandably(!) worn out, financially and emotionally. Backsplashes are rather expensive and messy to install, and certainly to tear out and replace. Andreak100 is right, we see backsplashes a lot and they can look horrible. Your kitchen is lovely and it would be a shame to detract from your other gorgeous elements.

o

Yes, no don't rush it. The backsplash can make or break the overall look of your kitchen. You don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money to get the right tile. You need to take more time to find it.

o

Carol-I have been checking Lowes/HD for simple tile also and they do carry quite a bit more via on line than in the store but still cost effective. We ordered our floor tile from lowes after we checked a sample and it didn't even take 2 weeks for it to come in. If you have even a little bit of time you could try that route to try to find a better match.

In your lighting I like the gray on the horizontal plane but once vertical no. I also think the white isn't quite right. There has to be something that is a better match. I feel your pain. Just keep at it!

edit: typo

This post was edited by Autumn.4 on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 11:38

o

I adore quarter sawn oak and I love your kitchen. May I ask the dimensions of the room and your great room?

May we please see a picture of the great room too? Do you have other pictures?

I really like the creamy Subway tiles.

Thanks!

o

I would go with the gray, if those are the only two choices!! I would look for a lighter gray if I were you.

This post was edited by teachertile on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 15:58

o

What about a white glass subway tile? It would sort of function between the two and tends to reflect the counter a bit. Or, depending on your budget, maybe GrazIa Rixi (a gorgeous crackle backsplash tile I fell in love with after I bought our marble tile--going to use it for our fireplace instead). You can get it for 11/sq ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: grazia rixi tile

o

Thank you everyone for your help, I value your opinions very much. I was really hoping that there would be a definite consensus (there doesn't seem to be, except maybe to keep looking) about which looks best because at this point, I don't trust myself. One minute I like the gray and the next, I like the cream. I know that the perfect tile is out there, but I don't have the time or energy to find it. And to be honest, it doesn't really matter that it's perfect. I am very happy with our new house and if the backsplash tile isn't absolutely perfect, well, that's just ok. I am just looking for an affordable, easy choice.
Autumn, these 2 tiles came from Lowe's. The cream and white they keep in stock. The gray was a special order and took about a week to come in. I ordered one box which I will take back if we decide we don't want it. I think the only other color that it came in was brown and I definately don't want that!
Maybe I'll just leave it up to my husband to make a decision. I think I know what he'll pick!
I welcome any other opinions and appreciate all of your help!

o

Carol,

Why does the BS have to go up right away? Is it because you are going to get your contractor to do it for you?

You've mentioned a couple of times of going over budget. Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous, and I am not sure if you are talking yourself into "It doesn't really matter about the BS", or not. If I was a friend sitting down having a cup of coffee with you, I would definitely suggest that you hold off on putting up a backsplash for now. As my DH likes to say, we're just prolonging the pleasure. I am SO glad I waited, I just could NOT find a tile combination I liked at the time. I was reno-weary, and really, when we finally put it up 4 years later, I was thrilled to death with our choice. I still get a thrill everytime I look at it.

If you honestly don't care that much about the BS, I would still search a little wider than Lowes, do you have tile outlets in your area? Often, they have great deals on instock tiles.

o

Carol - I think that you sound rather defeated. You are going to pick a tile just because you want to be done. It's a shame to do that. It leads to more heartache in the end really. Why don't you just NOT do backsplash for a bit? Have the contractor just paint it and go that route for a while.

You have a lovely new kitchen. You deserve to have lovely tile to match with it. It sounds like you have "building fatigue"...too many decisions and it's worn you down. It happens. A lot. Don't feel bad about that. But, also, don't make an undesirable decision just so that you can say that you are "done". Two years from now, you will have grown to hate the tile that is "almost-but-not-quite-right" more and more, and you'll wind up hiring someone to tear it out and replace it. Tearing out tile is a messy job. You don't want to go through that for a long, long time if you don't have to.

Pick some paint - have it painted and move on with life for a while. Revisit the tile idea a few months or a year down the line when your budget has recovered and you aren't reno-fatigued - get the crackle tile that you said you loved. In the end, I promise you that you will be happy you did it that way.

o

What's your budget in $/sf?

You've done a great job so far. I totally understand how you feel now. Even the "wrong" tile would be fine as long as it's all done, done, done. Hang in there! At worst you'll join the ABB (all but bs) club. At best we'll find you the perfect shade quickly so you can get it done. It's a gorgeous space.

o

can you show us pictures of what you thought you would do? maybe we can help you get creative within your budget? Neither tile does the space justice.

Love your quarter sawn oak!

o

I agree with waiting....you sound like I did at the end of our remodel....out of steam and unable to make another decision. My backsplash has been in the thinking stage for over a year, and it is going up this weekend. I am using Lowes Allen And Roth subway in their Fawn color. Every ivory I found was too white, and this one is perfect. Before you make a decision you really need to check it out. It's a little more expensive but not bad at all, and you will be looking at your backsplash on a daily basis, so don't rush a decision. I really don't like gray for your kitchen. Good luck. I don't know about everyone else, but the backsplash was a real b**ch for me.

o

Just saw your post about special ordering the gray tile. I'll bet it's the same as my Fawn. If they don't have it on display ask if you can order a box. There's a little bit of variation in color just like the gray, and the overall look is nice and creamy, not white or yellowish.

o

I agree with FingNugSnug that you should special order the Fawn tiles to see if it would be a better match. On the counters, I like the gray a little better but behind the cabinets, if I had too choose one of these two tiles, I would go with the cream. I just think it is a touch too much cream and needs to be a cooler off-white but maybe when it is all grouted, it would look nice.

Also maybe you can repost a picture switching the gray tiles closer to the window and the creamier ones farther from the window which may change the look.

o

I agree with waiting. You do not need a backsplash to get your CofO. You do not need a bs to work in your kitchen.
Have you thought about using one of the remnants of your granite and having them put the 2" high bs that is gaining in popularity, then just painting above it? At some point in the future you could decide on another tile and just go above the 2" granite piece if you wanted the decorative tile.

o

Another keep looking vote here. Your cabinets are beautiful and I do not see a high gloss tlle being the perfect look. QS oak and the handles speak to me for something more "earthy", perhaps a natural stone or porcelain tile. All subway with a gloss finish will not let the other elements blend together.

In my previous home, I had a 3x6 matte transition tile that sat on the counter. The remaining tile was 6x6 matte porcelain tile on the diagonal. Behind the sink area there were three 3x3 decorative tiles to break up the area. Behind the stove there was a border of the 3x6 matte tile and the inset was a slate mosaic.

Your cabinets are some of the most beautiful I have seen on this board. With the other elements (hickory floor, prairie style windows, paint colors) the tile needs to blend everything together. For the time being, paint the wall and hang some arts and craft tile on the backsplash. There are plenty available on line for decorative accent in multiple sizes. Best of luck in your search.

o

I like both, I would go with the white but the gray is a beautiful tile as well. Do you have a floor and decor near you? They have great prices and a huge selection.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floor and Decor Website

o

First of all - AMAZING kitchen! It's just beautiful! And oh so spacious!

I have grey ceramic tile by Adex that I ordered online from tilesdirect.com. Attached is the tile, with white ice granite and dove white cabinets to give you an idea of how it looks. Very inexpensive and more than a year after my remodel I'm still loving it with no regrets.

However, in YOUR kitchen, with the brown tones of your cabinets, I think the cream would work best. I think it will tie in the creamy white island coloring and pull the whole kitchen together.

You can't go wrong either way - it's a spectacular kitchen!

o

Is there some reason you haven't even considered black subway? I see more black or a dark charcoal in the countertop that gray. You have black cabinet hardware, and I think the black tile would pull it all together. If you had a huge expanse of backsplash it might be too much, but being it's long and narrow I'm thinking it could be stunning with your cabinets!

o

It's hard to judge because the lighting is so different in your kitchen (left, right on vertical tiles). Having said that, I'd prefer a lighter, creamier tile, ideally like the paint of the island. I'm assuming that that color goes well with the counters.

o

I think you need some depth, so I would go darker, especially with the Craftsman influences.

Those cabinets are SO gorgeous!

Nancy

o

I think the cream is nice with your countertop, brightens it up a bit.

o

FingNug, Lynn, and whoever else mentioned the Allen and Roth Fawn tile from Lowes - The cream tiles in the pictures ARE Allen and Roth Fawn tiles from Lowes. The gray ones are Allen and Roth in the color Pearl. They are $4 a square foot. Can't beat that!

o

Carol.33, I am sure if you switch the tiles to the other counters, they will look differently. Can you do that for us with no lights on in the day light and with the lights on? I am thinking the fawn/cream would be best.

o

I will get one of my kids to help me post a pic of what is up so far on my BS...can't figure it out myself :( The Fawn does change in different lighting, but still has a creamier look. Also I need your advice. I'm second guessing myself on what I planned to put in the picture frame over the cooktop. Going to church to pray for guidance, lol. This backsplash is killing me...

o

Definitely the cream color tile. I would have only used the gray if your perimeter cabinets were the same color as the island.

o

I used the Pearl tile in the 4x12 size in my kitchen. I find that it looks taupe in natural light but takes on a greyish cast when my under counter lights are on. They are beautiful tiles when installed and look hand glazed. Did you look at the chocolate color? Misnamed in my opinion but they are a hair darker than pearl.

o

corgimum - I'd love to see a picture of your kitchen with the Pearl tiles.
Lynn - I flipped them for you.
 photo IMG_2250_zps7a540a0b.jpg
We sort of made a decision today. LOL We had 8 of each of the tiles taped to the wall with blue painters tape and had been looking at them and trying to decide. Later, we were busy in the sunroom when we heard a crash in the kitchen. Fortunately it was just a tile and not one of the newly installed pendant lights! Was it the Fawn or the Pearl?? Since we wanted to take back the ones that we weren't going to use, we would have to go with the one that broke….. it was the Pearl!!

o

From seeing this picture, I like the Pearl the best as it goes better with your counter and appliances. I can't wait to see it installed!

o

Carol- send me an email and I will send some pics tomorrow. (click on My Page next to my screen name for the link to my email).

o

As I was reading your post, I didn't know which was the Pearl as pearls are frequently a creamy white. I was hoping you picked the gray as they look fabulous in your new picture. Perfect choice!

o

Hi Carol...Any updates?

Did you go with the Allen + Roth?

o

Divastyle….. thank you for asking. Yes, we went with the Allen & Roth Pearl. We were at the end of the long process of building a home; we were tired of decision making and seriously low on funds! These tiles are from Lowes and they are $5/sq ft. We are very happy with how it turned out. The grey is very warm, almost taupy. I think they go very nice with the QS oak and with the River White counters.  photo IMG_2399_zps68a3e642.jpg photo IMG_2398_zpse20dc08e.jpg

o

That looks beautiful. love the wood kitchen:). My last kitchen had quarter sawn white oak.....so so beautiful.

o

Carol, your backsplash turned out beautifully. Looks to me like you obsessed for months over your choice & made a perfect one.

o

That turned out great. Love the pearl color in your kitchen!

o

Carol-very nice! Congrats on the choice and on being finished. Are you moved in??? You best head over to the build forum with an update! ;)

o

Wow! I love the pearl! It is perfect with your kitchen. Welcome to the ABB alumni club!

o

Looks great!

o

It looks very harmonious together, do you have any far back shots to post as in the before photos that you can see the whole kitchen with the island included. I'd love to see it from that view.

o

Wow. That is gorgeous and perfect.

I am in the market for backsplash and am considering the allen roth subways in pearl. I bought a box and I think that it is matches my wall color and my granite a bit too much for my preferences. So I am considering the fawn or white. I liked the quality and the price!

Thank you for updating.

o

Thank you all for the help and complements. What a great place this is! I don't post much, but I read ALOT!

Autumn - Yes, we moved in the middle of April and we love it! It's so peaceful and quiet… right in the middle of 33 acres.

Diva - You're right, the quality is very good and the price is right!

Arkansas, this one's for you….. photo IMG_2312_zps25990ebd.jpg

o

Carol, so warm and lovely! Well done... May you enjoy it for years to come!

o

Oh, and one other thing….

I ordered stools the other day. They are a plain, unfinished stool with a back. They remind me of an old schoolhouse chair. I plan to paint them a darker color than my accent color (SW Halcyon Green) which I believe is called Underseas. Then I will distress them just a tad on the edges. I ordered 4. You can't see from the picture, but to the right of the fridge is a wide hallway that goes back and behind and it is painted Halcyon Green. Then across the room is the sunroom which is also painted that color. It has a beautiful vaulted wood ceiling. Hoping the stools tie the blue/green into the kitchen. I love that color!

o

Happy, appreciative smile here, love how the backsplash turned out and how beautiful it is with your cabinets!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here