Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy2learn

To swivel or not to swivel, that is the bar stool question...

happy2learn
13 years ago

Do you prefer swivel counter stools or non-swivel? I need to buy four counter-height stools, with wood backs, so we can use our new counter-top snack bar. This will be our only in-kitchen seating area now, so it needs to be comfortable. The stools will be getting a lot of use- I have two teenagers. I originally thought I really preferred to get a swivel stool, but I am not finding one with the exact type of style and color I want (or price!) I have found some swivel-stools that would be satisfactory- but theyr'e 40% more costly than the ones I really prefer (style and color-wise), but don't swivel! Will I regret not getting swivel stools if I go with regular ones? Do you find a swivel to be a big plus--or a pain? Does the stool get dinged up if the back hits the granite as it swivels back and forth? Does it make it easier to sit comfortably with a swivel- or without?

I thought the swivel would be nice if someone wanted to turn around and talk with someone else in the family room (or watch t.v.), but maybe it is just as easy to do that with regular stools? Does the swivel ever get annoying (not staying still enough?)

Thanks for any help you can give me so that I can make up my mind!

Comments (36)

• melissastar
    13 years ago

Swivel, definitely! I've noticed that a number of people say they end up NOT using the eating counter they have so carefully worked into their kitchens. My family uses ours ALL the time. In deed, in my last house, it was our main eating space (it helped that it was table shaped, with seats on three sides). I'm convinced that one reason we do is A) it is counter height, not bar height ...much more comfortable. and B) stools are big, comfy and swivel. People love sitting at them.

• cfire
    13 years ago

Hmmm... I was in your shoes about a month ago.

I just couldn't make a decison. You see, I have a friend who has a beautiful kitchen with gorgeous granite counters, but every time someone moves off of one of the counter stools at her raised breakfast bar, she cringes as the swivels return to their neutral position and invariably bang into the granite.

So, when we were faced with the decision of what to do for our counter stools for our granite island, I was torn. I really wanted them to swivel so people could adjust their views around the room, but I didn't want to worry about a chipped counter edge every time the chair swiveled back to close and banged into it.

We ended up with non-return swivel stools. They swivel 360 degrees but do not bounce back to center when you move off of 'em. The upside is no banging. The downside is I find myself having to manually right the stool seats to the neutral position because nobody usually gets off with the stool facing the counter! I'm not complaining, though. I think it was the best solution for us and I love the stools.

They are made by Amisco. We got the 'Jamie'. We were able to select the chair finish (matte black metal) and seat fabric (Pepito), for a custom stool that fits into our kitchen beautifully. They were way out of our price range at the retail store near our home. But, I found an online store where we got exactly what we wanted for about 1/2 the price.

So, that's a long winded story to say, perhaps a non-swivel stool would be a good option for you, too?
    HTH

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

I think if people sitting cannot easily reach the floor to push the chair back, then you'll want swivel. You may be able to find low back that wont bang into your counter. I want backless stools that keep spinning and spinning and spinning... woo hoo!! Not only do I want a seating area, I want a PARTY!!!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

we have swivel that don't bounce back. I would not want it any other way.

• happy2learn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone--I didn't even think about the differences between types of swivel; (return or not return)It sounds like I definitely should NOT get the return swivel. I would have thought that the return "memory" would keep it from banging into the counter- I guess it is the opposite, if I understand correctly.

Joyjoyjoy- you are too funny--I was rotfl thinking about you swiveling around and around! My hubby wants a back on the stools at the counter overhang. However, I was going to definitely get backless bar-height swivel stools at my other snack bar, which overhangs into the dining room, where space is tight. We can have fun whirling round and round there! (Yep- I'm going to need lots of barstools, which is why I can't afford to make a mistake!)

• kompy
    13 years ago

Our barstools are metal and the backs hit the granite and damage the GRANITE, not the barstools. Will never do swivel again.

• vpierce
    13 years ago

No swivel here--too worried about banging the countertop and damaging it.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

I'm also facing the same decision.
    For those worrying about the bar's hitting the granite, seems like the backless, swivel would be the way to go.

thinking of getting something like this

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

This is the stool I really want but not sure I can swing the price just yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: stools

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Disclaimer: this opinion is colored by having 2 active boys, one of which is diagnosed ADHD. I would never, ever, have swivel stools.

Children like to spin on them, they like to see how fast they can spin. Backless or not damage will occur to either, the stool, the counter, or the kid.

I put in soapstone counters and never once considered swivel stools. I wouldn't want to see the dings to the counter edge, and my 14yo child(12 when the counters went in) has already had too many bleeding head wounds. The last 2 times the hospital staff separated me from my bleeding child so he could talk to a social worker and assure her I wasn't beating him.

Obviously YMMV, others above seem to like theirs just fine.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Posted by laxsupermom (My Page) on Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 21:22

Disclaimer: this opinion is colored by having 2 active boys, one of which is diagnosed ADHD. I would never, ever, have swivel stools.
    Children like to spin on them, they like to see how fast they can spin. Backless or not damage will occur to either, the stool, the counter, or the kid.

hmmm....you have a really good point. i only have a 9yr old girl but my nephew & some of the neighborhood boys can sure can get wild when they come over to play!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I have metal backed swivel stools that don't bounce back. Love them! I bought mine from Johnson Casuals, the seated part is big and roomy & cushy cozy so it doesn't take a lot of effort to get out of the chair. Plus they are sturdy with a foot rail. The stools turn easy but have a small amount of give and take so I don't worry at all about them smashing into the granite. The backs also have a slight flex for more comfort and ease of use.

• happy2learn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just when I thought I had it figured out, (to go with the swivel) the latest posters now have me concerned about the swivel damaging the granite or stools. How about a swivel that doesn't turn very easily--does anyone have any experience with one like that? I saw one at at BB&B that seemed to have a "stiffer" swivel and was a good price- esp. with their 20% off coupons. It wasn't exactly the style I was hoping for, but it was nice and would be ok. It did have a light beige microfiber seat, however. Does anyone have any experience with how those hold up- can they be wiped clean?

• clubtrump
    13 years ago

I can attest to what two grandchildren can do to swiveling wood bar stools, they ding the stools and the wood bar. And no, these don't even return, that is simply from getting in and out of them, and turning sideways.
    I am planning to check out the low backed bar stools. I've never sat in one so I'm not sure of the comfort factor, or the clearance factor, but it's an idea if you want to look into it

• coffeebreak
    13 years ago

We have full back, non swivel, counter height stools. We also have soapstone counters, so we never considered swivel stools due to the potential counter dings. We do enjoy the full back though, especially when entertaining as everyone tends to hang out at the island.

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

I am currently in the market for stools. Hadn't thought about the pros and cons of swivel, so this thread is very helpful. For me, comfort, size and looks were most important. I have work to do obviously, before I make this choice.

joyjoyjoy - I want to come to your party! And I love your Wisteria choice. Did you see that they have red ones? Now THAT would add to the party!

laxsupermom - Ahhh, I see we have something in common - looks like you have a frequent punch card to the ER for your kids, too?

funtolearn - in my experience, microfiber holds up very well, wipes clean of jelly toast, etc. - to a point. And when it reaches "that point" it looks really gnarly and nasty. Depending upon the family, that could be 5 years.

• happy2learn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the tips and sharing your experiences. 10Kdiamond--thanks so much for letting me know about the microfiber. Hmm....I think I may want to forgo that kind of a seat then. Have you ever tried to steam clean it, by any chance?

• jgopp
    13 years ago

I have non swivel and don't have regrets. My stools even have arms which is very comfortable when just hanging about. I find I picked style over function in this area. If I had to do it again I would still buy what I have now.

• happy2learn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jgop- I think you hit the proverbial "nail" on the head of my dilema--style vs. function!!! And, in my case, I would also say style vs. Function vs. PRICE! (since I will need a total of 6 stools, a little bit more for each one adds up). Of course, it is complicated for me because I'm not sure which is a better function even--swivel or non-swivel! I guess it is hard to find it all: my favorite style with the best function with the best price. I think I may end up going with this non-swivel chair (I will try and post link) My big worry, since I haven't seen it in person, is that my feet won't reach the bottom stretcher to rest on.

Here is a link that might be useful: counter stool I think I'll end up with

• nhbaskets
    13 years ago

I have swivel stools with backs and without in two different locations. They also return to center, which has not been an issue for us. If only they would push themselves back into the counter when someone gets up. That's what I need! I'm tired of stools in the middle of the floor!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I have non-return swivel stools with a comfy seat and comfortable wood, curved back. Yes, if someone bangs the stool against the counter when getting out of it, it dings the stool. But, to me, that's minor as I would not want a non-swivel stool at a raised counter...it's too difficult for older people, children, and people w/short legs to get out of these raised stools as it is, getting a non-swivel stool would be worse. (My brother's SO and her son are quite short and would not be able to use the stools if they did not swivel.)

In addition, I would not want someone pushing the stool backward to get out b/c of the risk of the stool falling backward...at least that's my take!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Nice stools fun2learn, I was just going to suggest doing a wood, leather or vinyl seat if you have young kids. I do think by getting a seat where a youngster can slide off easier will help save the counter or stool regardless of swivel or non-swivel picks. Maybe that's why I have not had a problem with my swivel and counter, my seats are a dark vinyl.

• ktink
    13 years ago

JoyJoyJoy - have you checked out the site www.industrywest.com? They have a stool very similar to the one you linked to for a bit less money. It's not quite as graceful as yours but might do in a pinch.

I've never ordered from Industry West so I can't vouch for service, quality, etc., but I'd love to hear from anyone who has. I've spent quite a bit of time drooling over some of their products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Industry West Machinist Stool

• Sharon kilber
    13 years ago

We have swivel, and we, bought these tiny little clear bumper's at HD. Put them on each side the chair, where the chair, hit's the granite. Had them on along time. You, can hardly see them. No chip's on the granite.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

I also have two little and busy boys - I went with no swivel and no arms on my counter stools, so they would not swivel themselves into a frenzy and they could easily slide in and out of the chair without moving it - so far, so good!

• happy2learn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback, everyone. It is interesting how different everyone's experience is with these stools.ie. some have problems with the swivel, or swivel return, others do not! I wonder if some swivels are "stiffer" than others and don't swing around so much? I love your barstool, buel. (I love how when I moused over the photo, I could find out exactly what it was and where you bought it!I just checked- they aren't carrying it anymore.) Shar-az- what a good idea to put a clear bumper on the stool! I actually called my granite company today to ask if they have had problems with people chipping the granite edge with a counter stool--they said they have never had a customer call to ask for one to be repaired, at least.
    Jterrilynn- I like your idea of a dark leather or vinyl seat. I never thought about making it easier to slide off; I was just thinking about color and ease of cleaning. My first pick was really this stool which has a brown vinyl seat-- I just had a bit of sticker shock when I put 4 of them in my cart (with tax it is close to $600 and I still need to buy another two more bar-height ones for the dining room!) Then I started questioning the whole swivel thing. It is too expensive to make a mistake. I think now I may just go ahead and bit the bullet and pay the money. I was running around all day today looking at bar stools! What do you all think of this one? My cabinets are a honey-spice maple, with a light colored granite, so it will be a contrast.

Here is a link that might be useful: corsica counter stool

• summerbabies
    13 years ago

I have non-return swivel stools with a padded back. DH insisted on comfortable chairs--I wanted to get more of the Zuo Concerto chairs that we have in the basement, but he hates them. We had Hillsdale Classic chairs--actually still do, they are languishing on Craiglist, lol--and they are very comfortable.

So I ended up with black bicast leather from Armen Living. I LOVE them. They have a 360-degree swivel, and the back is so thick and padded, I have no worries about our eventual granite. My children are 6 and 10 and don't swivel on the chairs, ever. That may be because we've always had swivel and there is no novelty for them. I like the swivel because you just swivel to get out. We have a hardwood floor.

They are very easy to keep clean, just wipe or brush off crumbs. I wanted 100% real leather, but didn't want to spend $600 per stool! Didn't want vinyl, either. So these are great.

We have a microfiber sofa in the basement. We mostly have to clean cat hair and cat puke off it. A damp washcloth works well. I didn't want microfiber in the kitchen, because I'd be cleaning them ALL the time. Napkins on the laps, PLEASE!

Here is a link that might be useful: Black high-back swivel chairs I bought

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Fun2learn, I sooo sympathize with your barstool search. I nearly drove everyone here mad when I was looking. At first I didn't want to spend much money but after looking at some of the lesser expensive stools in wood I found I could often remove the badly done stain with my fingernail. So, then I worried that it would all look like crapola in a short time. For the peninsula I ended up going way over budget on some roomy good quality swivel metal stools with nice quality vinyl seats and have no regrets. For the little nook table I did buy wood, they are backless stools from Canada that have a "real" wood finish that actually goes into the wood. Holsag has some nice ones and they are heavy and excellent quality made for the hospitality industry and not a bad price. You can order the Holsags in a zillion different heights and stains too so if you see one you like but do not like the finish (no worries), there are also two different metal foot guard options. I ended up buying my Holsag Bulldog backless stools at Merchancala (sp?) because they had the best price at the time. I do not think they do swivels though. However, if you want a good bang for your buck you may want to check them out because these babies can withstand kid and teen abuse and still look good. They look a hundred times better in person because you can see how well made they are.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

The good thing about swivel stools is that they don't get moved around as much to scratch your floors--especially if you have wood. It seems a low back or no back stool would take care of it hitting the counter. As for kids playing on them, I had a rule that the stools weren't for playing "spin." They had one of those sit-n-spins for that. Friends were gently informed of the rule as well.

• allnewappliances
    13 years ago

Fun2Learn - we have those exact swivel stools and we love them. They swivel, but are a tighter swivel (if that makes sense) so when someone gets out, they don't totally swing or hit the granite. In person, they look of very high quality. The seat looks like leather and the color of the wood is a really nice rich color.
    Good Luck.

• Jo Tyson
    7 years ago

We have same problem. we put black wrap around foam just wide enough to not bump granite. Tied with lock ties. Doesn't look too bad.

• paddykk
    7 years ago

What do you guys suggest for outdoor bar stools? Love the paded leather - but won't work for outdoor. Thanks.

• Jo Tyson
    7 years ago

I prefer to swivel because it is easier to get out of it

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I like a table and chairs but then I'm a dinosaur.

• lynn2235
    7 years ago

Swivel!!