Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattinsoldier_gw

Lazy Susan vs. Super Susan??

pattinsoldier
16 years ago

Can someone please tell me the difference between a lazy susan and a super susan? Are they only different in size? What size corner cabinet does each fit into? I am thinking about storing my pots and pans in the corner cabinet. Which one would work best for this type of storage? Please help...

Comments (25)

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Lazy susans are usually flimsy pole mounted affairs. A Super Susan is a turntable attached to ball bearing hardware that is mounted to a shelf and the shelf can be adjustable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraft Maid Super Susan

• chefkev
    16 years ago

I just got mine put in. It definitely costed more. If I understood correctly, it can utilize more of a corner cabinet's space than many other susans. As ci_lantro pointed out, it's supposed to be sturdier so I should be able to store some heavier pots and pans in it.

• cll2008
    16 years ago

Ci lantro described it well. I have had 3 Lazy Susans for 20 years. 2 base and one upper and will be installing a Super Susan in the new remodel. If you are planning on any weight at all, get the Super Susan. For years I have fought trying to keep the one with heavier items balanced so it will spin correctly. The two that hold light stuff such as box goods and plastic storage containers are fine.

As I said I haven't had the Super yet, it is on order, but I do know that the regular Susan is not sufficient for heavy items.

Good luck with your remodel,
    Crystal

• bellsrus
    16 years ago

I have a super susan planned for our new kitchen. I was dead-set against a lazy susan in the kitchen, as I have always hated that things can fall off the back side of the shelf and then you need to reach down into the corners of the cabinet to fish stuff out. There is also the problem of balancing the shelf that someone else mentioned.

The KD put a super susan in the corner of our kitchen and I told him my concerns about using it. He said that it is different from the lazy susan in that there is no vertical rod in the center of the shelves. Each shelf has it's own turntable which is set on a fixed shelf. The cabinet that surrounds the shelf is also circular, so there is no space where things can fall off the shelf.

After his description of it, I decided it would be OK for me. My kitchen is not yet installed though, so I can't give you a first-hand review...

Patti

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

loving my super susan!! items can be pushed to the middle (no pole) which helps keep them from falling off. also, if they did, they would fall only on to the shelf, not all the way down. plus it is made of plywood and so can hold our heavy pots and pans. it actually holds all our saucepans, frying pans (cast iron), and large dutch ovens. kren

• bellsrus
    16 years ago

I just clicked on the link that ci_lantro included. It appears that the super susan may be different depending on the cabinet manufacturer, as the one in ci_lantro's photo does not have a circular cabinet surrounding it, and doesn't even look like it is made to go in a corner. I've not heard of a lazy/super susan that wasn't made for a corner.

Here is the description from the Haas cabinet web site:
    "Unit has two 31" diameter nonadjustable wood wheels (shelves) with steel roller bearings mounted to fixed shelf on bottom." And the diagram with the description clearly shows a circular cabinet inside the base cabinet.

You'll need to check with your cabinet maker to see exactly what the super susan looks like in your cabinet line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Haas super susan

• ci_lantro
    16 years ago

Here's a really good photo of a Super Susan. This one shows a pie cut-out in a 90 degree corner application.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Super Susan Photo

• pattinsoldier
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for so much help. It sounds like the super susan is the way to go, especially if I use it for pots and pans. I don't think my cabinet guy has done a super before, so if anyone has more pictures it might be helpful. Thanks again.

• neesie
    16 years ago

I have what I believe is a Super Susan in my corner cupboard (It was in the house when I bought it). Eveyone else I know has a pole mounted, 3/4 circle thingy, which those are very precarious. I love my "super susan". It is so sturdy. I put almost all my canned and jarred goods on it and it's never "tippy." I'll try to post a picture.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    16 years ago

You asked for another photo. Here's mine. The top shelf is adjustable. No center poles, nothing falls off, and the ss bar is what you grab to turn the susan. I keep my Geo Foreman Grill and food processor and lots of heavy stuff in there. It is very accessable.

{{!gwi}}

• acc0406
    16 years ago

I hated my old lazy susan and didn't want another (or anything with the name susan in it for that matter). Nevertheless, the kitchen designer said the new one would be fine. It's a super suzan and it's not even comparable to the old lazy susan. Nothing falls off or jams it up like with the old one, and without the pole in the center it is actually a great place to store large awkward sized items.

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

When we decided to go with a peninsula instead of another center island, we found we had a big corner to fill with something. Our KD suggested a super susan. DH was worried about things falling off the back and sides of it and getting lost or stuck, but it just isn't possible with our Brookhaven one. I love it and use mine every day. It holds my small appliances (toaster, George Foreman Grill, waffle maker, mixer, etc.), mixing bowels and such. I like that I don't have to deal with a center pole. The back of the cab is built with the blank corner eliminated, which DH points out is a loss of some storage space . . . but also eliminates the headache of things falling off back there. Now that I have mine, I can't imagine a better, more efficient way to use a corer cab.

• natal
    16 years ago

After reading threads here for years I thought a Super Susan was the only way to go. I ended up with a Lazy Susan and it works just fine. Haven't had a problem with anything falling off the shelves.

• oruboris
    16 years ago

My original pole mounted with the doors attatched to the shelves [no separate door to open, sounds good, wasn't] were just awful. Bad, bad, bad, constant headache, beyond words and beneath contempt.

But my 'new' ones [acutally 5 or 6 years old now], also pole mounted, are great: I think the hardware may be by blum, since my drawers are. I keep a few moderately heavy items-- gallon jugs of oil, etc.-- on them with no problems. Never a moments trouble.

Now, I'll admit I think the supers are cool, and I'm sure they are generally better. BUT good pole mounts aren't nearly as bad as some of the above posters might make you think, and unless you plan on tossing a 25 pound bag of flour on the shelf, will probably serve you fine.

I like turntables [of either type] better than any other corner units I've seen, but I'd never do the ones with doors attatched again.

• Bryan
    15 years ago

After struggling with so much stuff in this big space in the corner cabinet, we want to go to a lazy susan. I don't think we have big enough doors for a blind corner storage, and I am not sure those would work well anyway.

We just saw a super susan at a local Expo that is closing. But they wouldn't sell it without the cabinet!

Where can I order these? The one we saw was Kraftmaid, so I think I could get Home Depot to order one. This is the one shown in the first link in this thread. But surely I can order from someone online.

It is really hard to find these via Google. They are not typically called "Super Susans", and it seems most are installed with the full pole even when they don't show it in the picture. Rev-a-Shelf comes up on some sites, but I don't see anything on their site!

The one I did find is linked below, but it is over $200 per shelf. Is that the right price range to look at?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Source

• copanolady
    9 years ago

"I just had a regular lazy susan installed because the doors are attached directly to the pie cut-out and spin with the unit" ~

I just happened across this thread tonight and under pressure to make some quick decisions. I've been thru remodeling before but I'm having trouble visualizing what you are describing. I too have had the dreadful hinged bi-fold doors. It was the only thing I learned to regret in my last kitchen. To make matters worse, the hinges began to work loose and sag. Do you have a picture of the alternative you found and like? I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I have two 32" super susans installed in a 37" corner cabinet. Love them and can't believe how much better that space is used compared to the smaller cabinet with lazy susans that I had before. Losing the pole adds quite a bit of storage space and functionality and I'll be storing my small appliances and pots there - which was unthinkable before. My super susans are from the online store Hardware Hut.

• kompy
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan of susans in general.

I would prefer:
    1. Blind with pullout (full height door a must!) and a bigger cabinet on the other leg.

or

2. A corner base w/ staggered shelves as pictured below. I had this in one of my corners in my last house and it held my frying pans (top) and some pots and pans (middle) and larger pots, colander and a breadmaker on the bottom. Worked nicely. I also had another set of pot and pan drawers for my most often used items.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I had two of the "door rotates with the unit" lazy susans in my old kitchen. One was used for plastic containers - impossible to keep organized, but the light weight meant that the unit didn't need adjusting.

The other one held a few heavy things, including my crock pot. It was fin for a few years, then the shelves started slipping on the pole. I had to take everything out, adjust the shelves, tighten the set screws, and adjust the door rotation so it closed flush (or nearly so). It was a royal pain in the neck.

I closed off one corner in my remodel, and put drawers on both sides. The other corner has a super susan. I solved the bifold door issue by using an angled cabinet, which not everyone likes.

• PRO
    Allyn Custom Woodworks
    6 years ago
    Funny. I am a cabinet maker. Just got a set of plans that specified "Super Susan". My search for that term led me here. Turns out my Standard Susan is and has been a Super Susan!
  • Wendy
    4 years ago

We have a lazy Susan with the doors that attach to it and spin with the unit. We not so affectionately refer to it as "the finger masher". My grandkids aren't even allowed to stand next to it when helping in the kitchen. I am thrilled to replace it with a super Susan and have a cabinet door that swings out safely!

• Agata Flansburg
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Great advice on super lazy Susan!

I just got a quote from potential cabinetry dealers for my super lazy Suzan of $1.028.00 Geez!

Is this average prize?

or is better to purchase elsewhere and have someone to mount it?

• amhers104
    4 years ago

We have the typical lazy Susan with the pole. Does anyone know if I can replace with a Super Susan? If so is this something that needs to be done by a cabinet store or can husband who has “average“ handyman skills do.?

• krisclark3
    last year

This is an old thread, but in case this helps someone in the future, we did this. they had to cut the shelf in half to get it inside the cabinet, and then join it with some metal joiners. Add turntable hardware. stack it all in the bottom. Raise and finish attaching it all. It wasn’t easy but it worked and has been great for more than 10 years so far.