Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_ryan4352043

if you have inset cabs - seam question

Kitchen_ Reno
10 years ago

I didn't really pay attention/think about the fact that we'd have seams on our inset cabs. Now that they're installed and I'm reading online, I can see that I DID read threads about it, but must have just dismissed it. On our cabs, you can see the seams - some more noticeably than others. Most just look like a hairline running down the cabinet, but some are slightly more noticeable than that, where I can even feel a little raised section where the depths are just a TEENY bit off in a spot or two (not running the length of cab).
My cabinets have been in for 2 days, and I'm not even living in the house yet. Tell me - is this something that I will stop noticing soon? I'm guessing yes but just want to be reassured. I am known for obsessing over tiny things

Comments (5)

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

They should be flush.

However, I think you aren't seeing the forest from the trees. Wait a bit, step back, look at the whole picture. You're going to be stressing over a back splash before long. Those seams are (most likely) nothing.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

I agree with CEF. When the cabs go in, you obsess over them, but once the rest of the kitchen is installed, there will be so many things to think about, to organize, to worry about and (hopefully!) to enjoy, that this will likely recede into your memory.

One caveat: if that seam grows bumpier or gaps because of house settling or shifting, that might be reason to have them come out again. If they are fairly flush (just noticeable to touch but not so much the naked eye), then I would let it go. I have had inset on my last two houses and I have had seams, but I did indeed forget about them once the rest of the kitchen was done.

Are your counters in? That's where obsessing gets to a fevered pitch.....so many threads on this forum about counters! See how you feel about things after your counters and floors are in. One year from now, you may have entirely forgotten that the seam was ever noticeable.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Yes, you will notice these the most when they go in. For the most part, they will fall from your attention pretty quickly. However during cleaning, you may notice them again -- but then quickly forget about them again. There will be plenty to think about later on. .

I have some white lowers, and I found the shadow caused by the tiny, tiny crack between the two of them are more noticeable on the white cabinets than on the darker stained finish. I don't know if this is recommended, but I took a bit of all purpose white space and pushed into into the seem. It helped take down the micro-shadows and made the hairline crack a bit less noticeable.

• Kitchen_ Reno
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! Yes mine are white, and no, I don't have counters yet, so cabinets are really all I can obsess/worry about now. And I've learned I'm always obsessing over something!

Hopefully in a few weeks i already will have forgotten
    (But not b/c I have bigger problems, ha!)

• xc60
    10 years ago

All very good advice so far. :)

We've always had wood cabinets such as oak, medium maple or a very dark espresso, the new house we are building the perimeter cabinets are white and I was at first surprised to see the things mentioned. Things like seeing the inside hinge shadow when the doors are closed, or the different spaces of the cabinet doors on the different cabinet boxes lined up..... Never noticed with the darker wood. Now that more things are done in the kitchen such as the counters and backsplash I'm not noticing these things anymore. And I never notice in anyone's else's kitchen.

Good luck with your kitchen and post pics if you can! :)