Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bicyclegirl1

paint on walls before cabinet install

bicyclegirl1
10 years ago

I finally got my walls textured & am wondering if paint should go on the walls prior to the cabinets. Since it's fresh texture, if paint isn't important, should there at least be primer?

I'm really hoping not paint because I haven't picked out my countertops & if I need paint, I'm going to have to start scrambling!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Comments (11)

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Much to the chagrin of our GC, we are not painting until one of the very last things. They did primer everything though.

• Texas_Gem
    10 years ago

I painted before my cabinets were installed because I didn't want to risk painting around my new cabinets or countertop. I would definitely primer at the very least because primer helps seal the wall from moisture.

• willtv
    10 years ago

We had our GC build in a day so we could prime & paint before the cabinet install.
    After all of the trades were gone, all we had to do was a little touch up.

• judeNY_gw
    10 years ago

I had primer done, then all installs. I did not want to choose wall color until after counter install. It was a good move for me. The paint color works very well and there was no problem painting around the cabinets.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    10 years ago

Do your cabinet people a favor. If there is any uncertainty about the wood behind the drywall behind the cabinets, don't paint there. The cabinets will cover up the non-painted wall.

The installers will need to know what they can attach the cabinets to. They'll use the seam and nail/screw plastering from the tapers as a guide.If they have to hunt, they may leave an awfully messy sea of destroyed drywall. They know you will never see it, they know that they'll be long gone when you re-do the kitchen in thirty years, and they'll be cranky.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

Unfinished drywall absorbs odors and moisture, and will release dust. Paint or primer before the cabinets go up. The cabinet installers have stud finders.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I'm painting after counters and cabinets go in. My walls have previous paint, not bare drywall. Yes, it will be a pain, but I want to be sure about which offwhite to use with the granite counters and that will take seeing the counters installed.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

We pick out everything first. Painted before cabinets installed. Much easier.

• schicksal
    10 years ago

When I asked, the answer I got was that walls should be painted first. I already knew this but, the floors should also be sanded and finished first.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I painted first. I have vaulted ceilings, and the upper cabinets come up to the ceiling on the end. I'm glad I love the colors I chose for walls and ceiling, because it's going to be a real pain to get over those cabinets!

Cambria has a color match tool for Ben Moore paint colors. I chose my counters first, looked at the colors recommended by the site, then went to the paint store. I went through dozens of colors (and 3 cans of samples), and ended up with the colors suggested by the site - one for the walls, one for the ceiling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cambria paint match tool

• bicyclegirl1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are great! Thanks so much for your opinions.

My 1st choice would be to paint all walls, then install cab's, but I'm not sure I'll be there by that time. I am so busy w/ work that I don't have time to figure out what counters I'm going w/ & just want to get the cabinets in. I will definitely prime before, & if it ends up the cabinets can't get in for awhile & I have time to ck out countertops, I might be able to pull it off.

annkh, that tool is awesome! I'm going to keep it & when I do get to the countertops, I'll use this tool. Thanks for sharing.

cold weather - ha, I think cold weather is evil too!!! Very funny! I can tell you, I will not be in this house for another kitchen reno so if they put in a few too many nails, the next person can deal w/ that!!

schicksal, my floors are already done....finished....ahhhh, one thing I don't have to worry about anymore!

Once more, you guys come thru for me. Thanks again.