Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom23es_gw

Why do I like one but not the other? Question about soffits.

Mom23Es
12 years ago

We are going to have 10' ceilings in the kitchen, and we are already way over budget on cabinets. Our builder suggested using soffits instead of cabinets all the way to the ceiling, and he sent me a pic of a kitchen they previously built. It's the first picture, and I really don't like the look. Then I was looking through pics on Houzz, and I came across this other kitchen. I really like the look of soffits in this one.

What am I missing? What makes the soffits look nice in one pic but not in the other? Is there a "right" and a "wrong" way to use them? Any other general opinions about them?

I still have time to decide. I'm trying to consider all of my options.

Thanks!

{{!gwi}}

traditional spaces design by san francisco interior designer Fiorella Design

Comments (12)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

That second pic gets used a lot here to show that soffits can be nice. They look nice there because they were treated as PART of the design, not some ugly, ignored rectangle of plain drywall. Notice how they are painted the same color as the cabs and finished with crown. Intentional.

• ci_lantro
    12 years ago

I don't like either of the soffit treatments. To me, they seem heavy & oppresive.

I would opt for a medium crown molding & top with a shelf. (You can always line the shelf w/ paper towels or newspaper & change it out when it gets dusty.)

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

One is white and one is not. The former has crown molding at the ceiling, the latter at the top of the cabs.

• library_girl
    12 years ago

I love that kitchen from houzz - the white cabinets/white crown/white soffit/white crown/white ceiling - it all just flows together. What color are your cabinets?

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I like the second better than the first but in both they are slightly larger in dimension than the cabinets below.

I use soffits, but I generally design them to sit flush or slightly behind the cabinet door plane, and only use a small moulding between the cabinet and the soffit, saving the crown for the junction between the soffit and ceiling.

• Sherriode
    12 years ago

The 1st pic kind of has a double soffit. There is a cabinet-colored one topped by a wall-colored one. In the second pic it just kind of looks like GIANT crown molding. And it matches both the cabinets and the ceiling. I don't like the 1st pic, but I don't mind the second one.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

The ceiling in the second pic is also white, which helps. The faux finish on the soffits in the first pic draws attention to the drywall.
    Renee

• dianalo
    12 years ago

When going for a shelf, why not do the shelf below the cabs and install the cabs up higher. This way, the lowest "shelf" inside the cab is actually your second shelf. It is a pretty look and it is easier to keep a low shelf clean than one up high. You can use the open shelf it for daily glasses, dishes, mugs, etc... You can also use it for spices, oils and vinegars near the stove. I would do the open shelf at 18" deep so that you have a more open feeling and less of a cabinet door feel in your face.

• deedles
    12 years ago

I think those beams going into the soffits in the 1st pic AND the fact that they're painted different than the cabs kinda adds up to bothersome overall. Too much going on up there.

• Mom23Es
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Library girl- we are going to have white cabinets.

Thanks for everyone's input. I REALLY don't like the sample pic from my builder. (I do actually like some of their other kitchen examples!!) That kitchen is not my style so I wanted to be sure I was judging the soffits rather than the paint color and decor. Is there an easy way to "fix" the soffit use on the first pic? Would adding crown moulding make a big difference? Would you really be able to paint just the soffits the cabinet color to blend it in?

• SaraKat
    12 years ago

I don't think the second photo looks good. It looks like the poor cabinet is trying to hold up a heavy crown on it's head reminding me of Carmen Miranda with a heavy basket of fruit on her head, something is not right. Maybe looks better in person.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I find the plethora of molding at the transition on the second one to be overwrought. Less is more; the soffit molding should not overbear or outdo the cabinets themselves.
    Casey