Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdw829

Help with Under Cabinet Lighting

rdw829
12 years ago

I have a quote from a GC for our kitchen reno, and he has recommended that we use Seagull Under Cabinet Lighting - that it is 'the best' - but it is quite $$$. Wondering if there are any reviews on Seagull, and recommendations on how to get a similar effect for less $$$.

I have read the Best Tips thread and some of the UC Lighting threads, but I have to admit, I don't understand a lot of what I read. Help, please!

Comments (10)

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

Might also post in lighting.
    We are putting in GM light bars - they are sitting here waiting for our new cabinets on monday.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

We used Task Lighting angle power strips.

{{!gwi}}

Source: dejongdreamhouse.blogspot.com via Jen on Pinterest

The customer service was fantastic, the price was reasonable, and you can even customize the colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: task lighting angle power strips

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

We used the Seagull ucb xenon lights. Really loved them. Think we are going with the led lights that are a tape for the new house. They seem to be a full spectrum light and are very nice color, not that blue-ish light.

Otherwise, I'd do the Seagull ones again in a heartbeat. Get a dimmer too. You won't regret it.

• lalithar
    12 years ago

For under cab, we are doing CSL LED lighting. I liked it as it is mounted near the front of the uppers but the light is angled back. We are using LED tape for a couple of places for inside cab and sky wells.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I gotta tell you, this was confusing me so bad that I did nothing.

My electrician was telling me I needed transformers, etc. Mucho $$$.

Then, somehow we got on a conversation about them operating independently and wanting them on a switch.

I'll be darned if he just didn't pick up some nice LED strips at Lowe's and hard wired them in. NO huge big deal and although not cheap, do-able.

Christine

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I wanted direct-wire, dimmable LEDs. I used Philips units. Very happy with them.

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

we also used the seagull undercab lights, xenon bulbs with the transformer. you can switch those bulbs out and put in led bulbs. those bulbs were very expensive, so we are going to wait till the price comes down.

we installed with dimmer and we love them. yes, they were expensive, but we did not want "sections" of light and also wanted something dimmable. they were best option we could find for our needs but you might be able to find something different. we would buy again.

HTH

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I am alone, so only light the rooms or area where I am. I'm uber(stupidly) energy conscious. I have dimmers on almost everything, but for my UCL, I went switches.

The nice thing about the LEDs is that they're so very bright I don't have any "sections" sprtphntc is referring to. They're close enough together they look like a long light strip.

I am so glad there were in my dream kitchen. It's slowly getting out of my head! :)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    12 years ago

We paid for the seagull ones. They were excessively expensive. However, they are so beautiful. I am sure I probably could have achieved the same or similar for less but these were what everyone involved recommended and I was too confused by the issue to comparison shop.

Seagull LED lights:

Kitchen lighted only w/ in and under cab lighting:

• shappy
    12 years ago

CHRISTINE
    Are you happy with the Lowes LED lights? I want to switch out my florescent ones, I'm still confused. The wiring is there--I don't need a transformer with those do I?