Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

Are these horizontal outlets too high?

Skyangel23
10 years ago

Hi,
so I was inspired by GW to request low, horizontal outlets in the kitchen where the backsplash will be in our new build. Planning on Subway tile. Today while visiting the site I saw that while the outlets are horizontal, I am not sure they are exactly low. I measured the bottom of the outlet box at 42". That seems high if the countertop will be at 36". Should I ask the builder to have the electrician redo them, or will this be okay?
Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (21)

• deedles
    10 years ago

Mine are at 7" and too late I realized what you are seeing in yours. I'd move mine down if I could but DH says nope.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Have them put where you asked for them. Sounds like they will look odd. Provide a picture.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did provide a picture to the builder, which I included below. Not sure if it made it to electrician though. Although that blue horizontal tape has instructions on it from me--included "low and horizontal", in addition to written AND drawn plans provided to the builder. I think he just did horizontal. Is it my fault for not saying "two inches above countertop", and I should just suck it up, or should I still ask that they be moved?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Sounds like you did more than enough. They did not follow through. That's what you are paying your GC for.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Have them moved now before it's a huge deal. Right now it's just removing the nails and moving them down. There's enough play in the wire to do pretty much anything right now.

I'd ask the GC in front of the electrician if the drawings were passed on, because you're sure right.

This is me being a bit snotty, but Hey. I'm tired. To think there's another thread right now about the most important days to be home during a reno. I claim all of them, but [ahem] pros claim if you hire a reliable contractor (vs. an inept ass, I guess) everything will be right in the end. Uh-huh. Good catch on your part.

• romy718
    10 years ago

The walls are still open. Have them move or you will regret it when it's backsplash time.

• eaga
    10 years ago

Make sure you are accounting for the height of the finished floor when you measure.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Yes, consider finished floor height and also if you are going to have any solid backsplash first.

My bathroom outlets are at 42". You'll probably want to be around 38" though there isn't an exact (but what will be going on the floor?)

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Did your written instructions and drawn plans include actual dimensions (2" above finished countertop)? If not, then yes, it is your fault. What's low to you might not be considered low to someone else. The word "low" is subjective. You need to be specific about anything and everything that you want done in a specific way. You can't expect anyone to read your mind and somehow "know" that low (in your example) means 2" above the counter and not 3" or 5" or 1" or whatever. In any case, have them moved now. It's a little more than just moving nails, since the blocking needs to be moved down, or more added, but now is the time to do it. The cable going to the box on the right might need to be re-routed also, depending on how much extra is pulled through the box, but that just means drilling more holes in the studs.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"Did your written instructions and drawn plans include actual dimensions (2" above finished countertop)? If not, then yes, it is your fault... You can't expect anyone to read your mind .."

The picture given to them is clear as day. Don't know about numbers on the other documents, but these are grown adults who should know to ask specifics, not guess, if something is not defined clearly.

Ask the GC what their finished height above the floor will be.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think you also need to take into account what you are doing on the backsplash. Ideally they should work out well with the tile pattern or layout, and not visually interrupt it or cause the need for a lot of sliver cuts in the tile.

But really it's best to be specific: if you want the center 39" above the finished floor, say so. That may also trigger a discussion with the GC about why a specific measurement won't work.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses.
    Deedles, that's right about where mine are now. I'm sorry you aren't happy with yours, but thank you for sharing your experience.

CEFreeman, I think part of the problem is there are several people in the chain of command, or triangle of command, so to speak. There is the manager who is at the office, then the super, then the trades. The manager wants us to go through her, the super tells us to call him with problems, the actual electrician we don't see because we are at work. I give the manager the specifics and the picture but what actually gets passed on is anyone's guess. We are new to this and I am definitely learning as I go.

cercis141 and kirkhall,
    the flooring in the kitchen will be luxury vinyl plank. And we are NOT doing the integrated countertop backsplash.

catbuilder,
    Really, I do think you are right. I should not have relied on a picture (isn't it worth a thousand words?) and should have been more specific. Now, at 42" from floor to bottom of outlet, the electrician didn't "lower" anything, even though I do agee that "low" is not specific enough. All of our outlets in our current builder-grade tract house are about 42".

Ineffablespace, I am thinking subway tile but that is as far as I've gotten with that so far. Luxury Vinyl plank flooring and then laminate countertop without the built in backsplash (quartz 4-5 years down the road).

In the top picture, the top of the lower horizontal board is about 36.5" up from the concrete. Would just lowering the outlets to the top of those boards be too low do you think? It does seem like it might be.

Or does anyone have any recommendations for how high off the finished floor to specify them, if I will be doing a subway tile backsplash, with no countertop built-in backsplash? 38"? 39"?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

You could raise the boxes into the cabinets, then let 'em fish to wire plug mold underneath the cabinets after they're installed, eliminating the duplexes from the splash altogether.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that's a possible idea, Trebruchet. Although we do keep a few appliances plugged in on the countertop pretty much permanently, and I don't think I like the idea of the cords hanging down all the time.

I am contacting the builder this morning to see what is possible. I did re-read the instructions I left at the site: "installed horizontal, low and close to countertop". Not as specific as I should have been, but I don't think anyone would think 6-7" above the countertop fits that bill.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

As others have mentioned, this is the time to move them before sheetrock goes up. Once that happens, it's a lot more of a problem to move them. All they have to do is take a nail out & renail it lower. I actually needed to have a couple moved & it was not a problem. Less than a minute!! It's a no brainer right now.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

bicyclegirl, I agree with you and have done it myself, too.

Frankly, anything I can do as a self-taught, self-learning, learning on the job, know-enough-to-be-dangerous person, a pro should be able to do a lot better and faster! :)

Particularly if there's no sheet-rock involved.
    Happy Monday when everyone's stewed over the weekend and about to call their contractors...

• romy718
    10 years ago

CEF, never thought of that. Contractors & fabricators must hate Mondays.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

CEFreeman and Romy,
    LOL. I imagine you are right about contractors hating Mondays. :-)

Thanks Bicyclegirl and CEFreeman. It's good to know it should not be hard to change. I would be willing to do it myself if they would let me. :-)

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

sky, I would highly recommend not doing it yourself. Let them know appx where you want them & have them move them. I'm GC'ing my own project & my electrician & I measured where I wanted them & he nailed them up. But, I changed one thing & had to move one box down lower, so it was no big deal. Once your walls are up, that's when it becomes a big deal & will cost you to move them. Don't let them charge you for moving them a few inches! Glad you caught it in time.

Good one CEF! I've never thought of that either! You know they dread Mondays!

This post was edited by bicyclegirl on Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 17:32

• Abita Queen Bee
    4 years ago

I know this is an old thread, I just had the IM WRITING THE CHECK IF I ASK OUTLETS TO BE 2” from the &^%& CEILING, THE HARD HEAD ELECTRICIAN SHOULD SAY OK. Unless it violates CODE. There,,, I SAID IT