Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccintx

Reasonably priced farm sink??

ccintx
13 years ago

I saw a post where someone had bought a farm sink that they were happy with that wasn't one of the "big" name brands. And at about half the price. But now I can't find the post to take note of the brand they mentioned. She said it was just as good, but just didn't have the logo. Can anyone suggest a more reasonable priced farm sink?

Comments (13)

• worldmom
    13 years ago

We bought a 30" Belle Foret, but ours isn't installed yet so I can't really speak to its durability. As far as appearance goes, I'm really happy with it. Yes, I would have loved a Shaw, but for the price, I think what we chose is a good option. You can find them on eBay, but look at Whitehaus sinks on eBay too.

Here is an Amazon link to the one we bought, but shop around if you're interested in it. I think we paid $480 for ours and I believe I got free shipping. The place we bought ours from isn't selling sinks anymore or I'd send you to their website.

Good luck!

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

Ikea Domsjo are super cheap. I wanted one but had to change my plans a bit and the farm sink just doesnt work so hot anymore. Anyway, I've heard good things about them .. here's a link to the single 24" one, but they also have a ginormo double basin version. I like it because it goes all the way back to the wall, no need to run countertop behind the sink!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Domsjo sink

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I like the Domsjo sink too - the 36" one is about $300. No matter how I tried, I could not get my husband to go for an undermount or flush mount sink, so when I found this top mount apron front, I just had to have it!

And once we didn't have to deal with a sink cutout, I was able to talk DH into getting soapstone (we did the install).

We had to modify the cabinet slightly as we have 25" deep cabinets and it's made to fit in a 24" wide cab. It's designed to stick out a bit farther than ours does.

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Remember that it's not just the cost of the sink itself in a farm sink install. It's the extra cost of the specialty cabinet, or the cabinet modifications needed. It's the cost of labor for the very fussy scribing by an expert finish carpenter/cabinet installer for several extra hours needed. It's the additional PIA $ tax for time and effort needed by your countertop installers. Even if the farm sink is free, those extras will cost you over 1K just to deal with those issues. So factor that into your budget as well.

• jenhp
    13 years ago

Check out this website. I thought they had some good prices... Vintagetub.com

I haven't bought anything from them yet. They have free shipping and price matching as well. I thought the shipping could add up pretty fast otherwise.

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage tub & bath

• macybaby
    13 years ago

That is another plus for the Domsjo, it overlaps the front of the cabinet, so with a normal depth, there is no scribing at all. Ours is inset on the sides, but overlaps the bottom rail. The only scribing we had to do was the back of the cabinet as the sink is also made to go in a base without a back on it. We had to cut down the back a bit so the sink could slide to the wall.

An Apron fron sink was out the question for me based on some of the reasons stated in this thread - until I found this one.

• cplover
    13 years ago

Overstock.com has some ss farmhouse sinks, not sure if they have the traditional porcelain, but check it out!

• maid_o_cliff
    13 years ago

Does anyone have the small domsjo single bowl sink? What are the actual bowl measurements? Is it large enough for the only sink in kitchen? What material is it made of?

Thank you,
    Red

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

I saw the Domsjo in person at Ikea and fell in love with it, so did DH and really wanted to get one. I don't know about the quality as far as not cracking, but it truly is beautiful. But we can't have a farm sink because of our dumb corner sink arrangement, not enough room.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Red, I have the Domsjo single and double bowls, though they're still in boxes because the house they're going in has yet to be built : ). I can't get to the boxes in our shop building, but I checked the Canadian Ikea website and got these measurements:

Width: 25" (I would imagine that's 25" square, but I don't know if those are the inside or outside measurements)

If you go to the link below at Ikeafans and scroll down to sarahspins, you'll find her review of the sink, from Feb 09:

"installed my single Domsjo a little over a week ago and I have to say that I LOVE it, and I am glad I didn't get the double... I think it would have just been too large for my tiny kitchen, and I would have lost an extra foot of counter space if I had gotten it.

"I realized with my prior SS double sink, I rarely ever used more than one bowl to wash dishes (they just "collected" in the other bowl)... so "downgrading" to the single didn't make me lose any room at all, in fact I was gaining a significant amount of space with the single bowl over the domsjo double. Go into IKEA and look at them.. you might be surprised how much it changes your mind. I was pretty attached to the look/idea of the double, but once I realized that it was going to work out better for us, it was pretty easy to change my mind.

BTW , we are a family of 5, so if the single works for us it should work for anyone."

Here is a link that might be useful: Domsjo post at Ikeafans

• maid_o_cliff
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting, will try to get DH to visit ikea this weekend.

Red

• kathec
    13 years ago

I bought the 36" double bowl from the AS IS department at Ikea for $55. It was a super-incredible-can't-walk-away-from-it price. The upper corner was chipped off, which was no problem as I had planned to undermount it (like brickmanhouse). We've since re-worked our plan and I'm planning to go for a single bowl sink.

Anybody need a 36" Domsjo for undermounting? I've got one cheap in North Texas ; )

So, I started shopping a few weeks ago and this is what I found:
    Marvel makes 2 a 24" FS19238 which runs $449 at AJ Madison, Ira Woods and Appliances Connection (all online). They also make a 30" with an offset drain FS183010 which is $579. They come with the drain strainer and a bottom sink grid. These are a better value (I think) than the famous name brands, especially for the 30". Most offer the 24" around the $400 mark, but the 30" seems to jump up to the $600 and $700 range on less expensive brands. The only other exception I found was Whitehause WHQ330 for $575 online at Quality Bath. The sink strainer and grid are still extra.

BTW, Marvel is part of the Aga Rangemaster Group.

Of course, IKEA's price trumps all.

Kathe

• wmmallette
    13 years ago

I sent a message to you KatheC about the 36" Ikea sink.

-Mickey