Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californiagirl_gw

Finished kitchen for californiagirl

californiagirl
11 years ago

First it took us three years from start to finish to get this kitchen done, as part of a whole house remodel and addition to our 1938 Midwest house. Then it has taken me three months to get better pics and post them to this side after first putting some phone photos on the Gallery side.

Thanks to everyone who participates in the Gardenweb forums!

Comments (43)

• springroz
    11 years ago

How pretty!! Love the chandies, and the island is such a pretty shape. More photos, please.

Nancy

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I cannot remember how to post multiple photos. Very sorry.

There are dishwashers hiding behind panels on either side of the farm sink (one of the handles is upside down!).

And neither photo shows that around the corner from the fridge is a floor to ceiling (lower ceiing) built-in bookcase with all cooking, gardening and design books and magazines.

This kitchen is an addition. The original kitchen has been remodeled into a butler's pantry and wet bar between the dining room and the new kitchen.

• BrianVarick
    11 years ago

Awesome! But why did you choose to not put seating at your island?

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Husband is not a fan of the chandeliers but knows that light fixtures are the easiest thing to change in a kitchen. Daughter and I love watching the sunlight hit the crystals, especially when the sun sets in summer. This kitchen faces south and has windows on both and east and west sides. Really wanted white marble countertops but realized we would need sunglasses in the snowy winter.

Cabinetmaker made changes to the glass doors that created tiny panes. At first we were sure we would have him swap them for the original design but quickly realized that smaller panes hid our cabinet clutter. Still thinking about swapping out the panes in the pantry door for mirror but for now we are just thrilled to have a pantry.

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooops. There are three seats, but some of the photos were taken by the metal working company that made the pewter island top and she moved the chairs away. My original fuzzy photos with the chairs are on the Gallery side.

I should have made the overhang deeper for the chairs, but it made the proportions for the island shape look off. Probably the only place I truly chose design over function.

• Kitch4me
    11 years ago

How could he not love the chandeliers...they're perfect!
    Details please!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Beautiful space. It's classy and very elegant. Wish I had half as much room as you do. And I am coveting all your light- both the natural and the artificial. Those chandeliers are seriously beautiful and so many windows!
    Congratulation and best wishes for you in your new kitchen.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

that is beautiful! you must enjoy all of that natural light. and then the glimmer from the chandies at night!

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not sure what details matter. The cabinets are custom by a Mennonite cabinetmaker who has created built-ins for lots of places in our old house. Our trim carpenters recommended him. The architect and I worked out the kitchen layout and the cabinetmaker and I tweaked it.

The island top is pewter and was the first decorative edge in pewter that the local metal working company had done. They wouldn't commit until they had tried some edges first. The Island wood is cherry, stained slightly darker than natural.

The stone perimeter top is Vermont Verde Antique, which looks a lot like soapstone but is harder (and shinier right now, as it has a polished finish but is not as shiny as granite).

The floor is Jerusalem Antique/Galila Gold limestone, which looks remarkably like the local limestone facing our home's exterior. The hardware and main faucet are polished nickel. The prep sink faucet is a Jaclo steam valve in stainless.

Did I forget anything important? The range hood is a Broan 1500 CFM insert, with the blower on the roof.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!!! Big and gorgeous!

• Tim
    11 years ago

Can I ask - are those Andersen A Series windows? I'm about to order 17 of them - all double hung.

If they are (sure look like it when I zoom in), were they factory painted white? Ours are, and we're hoping the Birch Bark is a decent match for our BM Cloud White trim.

What shade of white are the cabinets/trim? Everyone likes to see what the different choices of white look like in 'real life' so it would be great to post up the info here.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Everything is gorgeous but I am in absolute LOVE with all those windows!

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much for the kind reviews. Only TKO Gardenwebers know how much goes into a good kitchen.

The windows are wood, true-divided lite from Marvin. Full employment for the painter, but they are as close as we could get to matching the original windows on the house, short of custom.

The chandies are a discontinued style from Cyan Design (formerly Cristal). The lighting store gal and I were stuck between two sizes based on the room formula and we could have gone with the next size down, but returns were not an option.

It took longer to get our kitchen appliances because I wanted some items that are price controlled by the manufacturer (IMAP), but wanted to keep our costs down. By putting together a bid package that included items for elsewhere in the house and some that I deliberately selected because they are not subject to control (dishwashers and range hood, for example) and then getting bids from three appliance dealers, we got maximum bang for the buck.

We are really enjoying cooking and entertaining in this kitchen. We spent more that half our 25 years with only human dishwashers and this is the first time we have had two ovens. The big sink and two dishwashers really keep the dirty dish clutter to a minimum. Two dishwashers is an investment that even non-cooks would appreciate.

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edited duplicate post.

This post was edited by californiagirl on Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 16:29

• taggie
    11 years ago

So beautiful. I love everything about it from the beautiful finishes, to the appliances, the lovely island and countertops, of course the windows and light, and the gorgeous chandeliers. Congratulations on creating such a lovely space for working and entertaining!

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Your windows are the bomb.

It looks like a scrumptious buttercream-frosted CAKE. I don't really even like cake, but I would want to come it eat in your kitchen!

I love your flooring choice.

Enjoy!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

That is just lovely. Who wouldn't want to cook in that kitchen? Love the chandeliers, the island is beautiful. Congratulations! Great job!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

gorgeous!

• HammerMom
    11 years ago

Beautiful kitchen - great inspiration!

• Gooster
    11 years ago

Everything looks beautiful and the chandys add that wow factor. The windows capture a wonderful view that will give you pleasure for years to come.

• ArchitectMamma
    11 years ago

Gorgeous space! Great job!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

It's truly beautiful and very well planned! Congratulations, and enjoy!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

A pleasure to look at. I am sure it is a pleasure for cooking. The chandeliers would overpower most kitchens, but in yours just made me smile. And what a delight those windows must be!

Just curious. What is your favorite thing about your new kitchen?

• angel411
    11 years ago

Love the windows! And the calm colors. It is beautifully done...you should be so proud of your work!

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Very pretty kitchen. The windows & the light from them is wonderful. I love the floor. It looks equally at home in your kitchen as in jenny_from_the_block 's kitchen.

More details GWers love to know - wall paint color, maker of pulls, bridge faucet maker, backsplash tile color and maker, farm sink maker ...

to summarize the rest (for anyone else who got dizzy trying to follow):

Trim: SW Dover white
    Cabinets - custom by a Mennonite cabinetmaker
    Doors & Drawer fronts - Walzcraft in Pearl (match to SW Dover white)
    Isand - cherry with darker stain
    Island top - pewter with decorative edge
    Windows - wood, true-divided lite from Marvin
    Chandeliers - discontinued style from Cyan Design (formerly Cristal)
    Perimeter counters - Vermont Verde Antique (looks like soapstone)
    Floor tile - Jerusalem Antique/Galila Gold limestone
    Prep sink faucet - Jaclo steam valve in stainless
    Hardware and main faucet are polished nickel
    Range hood - Broan 1500 CFM insert, with external blower

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

The word that popped into my head was "gorgeous." Interestingly, a lot of the others chose the same word!

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

A delight to the eyes! Would love to know the maker of your farmhouse sink. Which part of CA are you in? If you're in Socal, would you be so kind as to share your cabinet makers information. What a wonderful job.
    Congratulations on a stunning kitchen!

• back2nd
    11 years ago

Love your kitchen, and especially all of the windows. One question, where do you keep all of your glasses and cups?

• tea4all
    11 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen! It is so spacious and light.

Enjoy for years to come!!

• repac
    11 years ago

Simply stunning! Enjoy many years of elegant and delicious meals in your outstanding kitchen.

• chickpea8
    11 years ago

Lovely kitchen! I really like your perimeter counters, are they granite? Also, I see that the name of them is Vermont Verde Antique, does this mean that you have the antiqued finish on them? Would love to see a closer picture, thanks!

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

It looks wonderful. I'd love to see more pics of your pewter island - love that you went for something unusual.

Congratulations on a job beautifully done.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I was ogling this from my phone and wanted to see in bigger pictures.
    Gorgeous kitchen and looks very functional as well!
    Congratulations and looking forward to some fun KIA pictures.
    Also, how about some pictures of how you organized your drawers and cabinets
    Thanks

• pjeanb
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I would love to know the color/make of your subway tiles.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

What a lovely, bright, spacious kitchen. I love all the windows and the cherry island with pewter top.

• amandasplit
    11 years ago

Wow this looks like it's straight out of a magazine.

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Onedogedie shamed me into digging through the files for all the colors and item names.

Trim: SW Dover white
    Paint: BM Windham Cream
    Cabinets: custom by a Mennonite cabinetmaker
    Doors and drawer fronts: Walzcraft in Pearl (match to SW Dover white)
    Island: cherry with darker stain
    Island top: pewter with decorative edge
    Windows: wood, true-divided lite from Marvin
    Chandeliers: discontinued style from Cyan Design (formerly Cristal)
    Perimeter counters: Vermont Verde Antique serpentine (http://www.vtverde.com) and John Boos walnut butcher block (next to refrigerator)
    Floor tile: Jerusalem Antique/Halila Gold limestone 12â (called Princess Gold at Home Depot)
    Main sink: Herbeau Luberon in White
    Main faucet: Perrin and Rowe Bridge Kitchen Faucet with Side Spray with Metal Lever Handles
    Disposal: Insinkerator Excel
    Perimeter knobs: RH Traditional Clear Glass Knob 1-1/4" Polished Nickel
    Pulls: RH Bistro pulls in polished nickel in several sizes
    Island knobs: Cliffside Solid Brass 1-5/16" (33mm) Cabinet Knob (Polished Nickel)
    Range hood: Broan 1500 CFM insert, with external blower \
    Backsplash: Daltile Rittenhouse Square 3â x 6â in color 0100
    Prep faucet: Jaclo 1272-MT-PSS - Polished Stainless Steel & Metal Traditional Lever
    Prep sink: Stainless round ProFloPFUR405
    Disposal: Insinkerator Compact
    Dishwashers: Kitchenaid KUDS50FVPA

Favorite things about this kitchen: windows, two dishwashers, stove, walk-in pantry
    Only a few cabinet organizers are in place yet as we wanted to see how we would use the cabinets and drawers first and then get our cabinetmaker to do some more magic.
    The upper cabinets on the refrigerator side have some storage but are also concealing an HVAC soffit.
    The working side of the island has a toe kick and all drawers, including a trash drawer on the end by the main sink.
    The mugs are in the cabinet above the microwave. The glasses and dishes are in the floor to ceiling cabinets left of the pantry door. The to-go lidded cups are in the curved end of the island on the refrigerator side.

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

Caligirl, just gorgeous!!!!

Can you tell me if you still love the pewter? I do a lot of prep work and baking on my island. Would you recommend it?

Thanks! Hope you are enjoying the lovely kitchen!

• SherylJ
    10 years ago

I too am very interested in a pewter countertop for my island. I'm wondering if you might share the name of your fabricator if you were pleased with them? I'm guessing by your user name that you are in CA, as am I. Were they local?

• heidia
    10 years ago

Very classy!

• jlj48
    10 years ago

I'm REALLY loving the pewter countertop! I had not seen them ever before. Thanks for sharing and please give more details on them!

• californiagirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry! I just realized there were recent questions. I am a Californian transplanted to the Midwest, so I don't have any CA sources except those my sibs might recommend.

The pewter top was locally made. The metal shop, which does all custom work and had done pewter tops, but not with decorative edges, made some samples and decided they were up for the challenge. We love the way it looks and feels, but we don't have a coating on it so the finish is "living". Ours is brushed, not polished, and it takes some practice to get the hang of cleaning it, but it goes quickly now.

Pewter is softer than stainless steel. You can't put a hot pot right off the stove on it and cleaning it is sort of like cleaning brass, where a little abrasion is necessary. Otherwise it is tough stuff. The patina fits our old house well.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Californiagirl, your kitchen is stunning! I also love the unique pewter counter! I love the cabinets, the counters, the chandeliers, the appliances, the way you were able to have your KitchenAid dishwasher paneled and flush with the cabinets by moving the cabinets out an inch (thanks for letting me know in another post), the color white used, the backsplash, the pretty paint color on the wall, how lit up your kitchen is, and your gorgeous floors! Thank you for sharing.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH