Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tbosshar

Experts Help!! Don't like part of my new backsplash!!

tbosshar
14 years ago

Can anyone make suggestions as to what might look better on the bar. I'm now thinking of covering this with granite that we have left. I hate the look of these 1". They are too pale and wrong tone.

I like the other side that has some darker tiles with it.

This part I like fine:

This part is so dull:

Maybe just granite:

Comments (21)

• msrose
    14 years ago

I don't think it looks bad, but I probably would like it better with the granite.

Laurie

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

I agree with you about the mosaic tile. The granite would look much better.

• danielle84
    14 years ago

Granite for me also. It ties everything together.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Granite for sure..the mosaic tile seems too tiny or something. I love the granite and think it looks more sophisticated with the granite backsplash. It especially seems to fit the other side better where you have the nice diamond pattern and a more smooth feel. Go for it!

• tbosshar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, anyone know how hard it will be now to remove that 1x1 travertine? Or can I just put the granite right on it?

• darbuka
    14 years ago

Just the thought of all that grout behind the sink is a deal breaker for me.

The granite, for sure.

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

Do you really want to start over?

Can you make a contrasting color band one or two tiles high, perhaps by starting over with the tiling or using shiny black paint?

OR

Color the grout a warm brown closer to the color of the cupboards to emphasize the grid of the tiles. I saw someone recolor (dye?) grout on an episode of HGTV that someone recommended on another thread.
    ___

Easiest: Put a couple good looking potted plants or equivalent on the tall part of this island and save your money and time.

The cook and bottle washer are the only ones who can even see this tile. The plain beiges don't stop your eyes, thus the tiles don't stop your gaze into the deeper room beyond. Right now you don't have much additional decoration or cooking stuff in the kitchen space. Soon you will be grateful that the cook's side of this space is not very "busy" as you bring objects onto the countertop to compete for attention. Imagine a counter full of dirty dishes or potatoes to peel or things you are arranging before serving. You will be glad there is no more distraction in front of you. The plain background will aid efficiency for a harried cook and will mark the sink area as a working area. Your guests will see the dark tiles on the back wall just fine.

• Fori
    14 years ago

Darker grout might help, but yeah, they're not right. Probably easy to ignore like Florantha suggests. Granite would be nice though.

(By the way--what gorgeous cabinets! Are they older?)

• tbosshar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, here it is with some decoration on it.
    It is somewhat better. Just not sure if I can live with it.

• lindalp
    14 years ago

I like the tiles better...they create a nice clean line. I think the granite would make the area look way too busy with your decorations. The tiles create a clean backdrop, allowing the decorations to come forward. JMHO

• tbosshar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• pupwhipped
    14 years ago

It's looks much better with your decorations for sure.

Have you tried an enhancing sealer on them? It would make them darker...how much I don't know. If you have any left over tiles, you could experiment with the enhancing sealer on them. You would sure want to do a test run though because you might end up liking them less.

I did the enhancing sealer on my micro travertine tile (pic below) and it made them darker and richer. It might be worth a shot.

Here is a link that might be useful: My backsplash tile

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Rather than taking it ALL out, what about removing a few pieces here and there, and adding accents to it? Maybe something close to what you have right above the center window in the first pic? Or even one of the 4" tiles from that same wall, turned diagonally every so often, and then cut the 1x1's into it? Just something to give it some interest, without removing the whole backsplash?

• tbosshar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How hard is it to just remove pieces?

• tbosshar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• Fori
    14 years ago

It IS better with stuff. And it'd be better if you got some less white outlet covers. :)

bump.

• tbosshar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, thanks. I was planning on getting some of the Lutron covers.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

It shouldn't be too bad-- just a matter of scoring out the grout and popping them. You may or may not be able to reuse them, so I'd have new pieces ready to go back in afterward.

Also, make sure to scrape out the old thinset, so that the new tiles don't sit proud from the rest of the tile.

• chris45ny
    14 years ago

I like Bill's idea about putting in some of the same metallic? looking accent pieces you have on the wall where the 3 windows are. Would the smaller accent tiles be the same size as the ones by the sink?? Fori's idea of changing your outlet covers to blend in with the tile should make a big difference also. Good luck.

• jolynna
    14 years ago

They are making templates for my granite now. My layout is very similar to yours. And I was going to have tile sandwiched between the two strips of granite.

However, I'd have even more contrast than you do. I was doing white subway and my granite will be honed black. I am totally thinking I don't want to do that now.

But, back to you. I like the granite sandwiched between your granite counters better than the tiles. I think adding accents by taking out tiles and replacing them might make that area too busy. I think that if you use granite in that area, it would all look like one piece that is meant to go together.

• kathycooks
    14 years ago

I disagree with most comments. I prefer the line of tile between the two levels of granite. Too much granite! But that's me and right now you have pretty much what I've done :-) I just used 4 inch travertine instead of 1 inch.

Here's a thought. You have leftover granite, right? I saw a nice backsplash treatment with travertine in a home design center. They inserted squares of granite randomly into the travertine. It really tied in the pretty granite.