Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmkx

GE Cafe Oven has huge vents openings. Does food fall in?

xmkx
11 years ago

I was looking at the GE Cafe Oven with the baking drawer and I was all set to buy it when my friend pointed out how big the vents were on the stovetop. The oven vents out all the way in the back of the stovetop. The holes are pretty large. Definitely easy enough for a chocolate chip to fall through there.... well easy enough for us messy cooks. Has anyone had a problem with this? Anyone else know what I am talking about?

Comments (20)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

so far I haven't dropped chocolate chips or anything else down there - at least that I know of. ;)

• trav86
    11 years ago

Aah! Now I want to send a probe down there to see what I've dropped (I'm definitely a messy cook...).

Seriously, this never occurred to me. The vents are in the back and I'm not usually flipping things around back there, but you never know.

• loree_s
    11 years ago

We've had our GE Cafe range for 2 1/2 years and never spilled anything in that direction.

• jellytoast
    11 years ago

Finally ... someone besides me who notices these things (so, yes, I know exactly what you are talking about!) Unfortunately, I have no solution for you as all ranges seem to have some openings for food to fall into and disappear, though some appear to be worse than others.

• weissman
    11 years ago

Don't worry - the mice will eat any food that falls down there :-)

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

So, are there frequent instances of food being flung willy nilly about you kitchen? I thought food fights were only in school cafeterias!

5 years. 0 problems.

• xmkx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to know that the current owners aren't haven't any problems.

Hollysprings, as I get older, I seem to be getting messier. So we don't even need to worry about food fights ... just getting messier me :)

• rikerk
    11 years ago

We have GE Cafe for almost 2 years now, no problems with food getting into the vents.

• isnoop
    9 years ago

I just lost a shrimp down my vent and I landed here trying to figure out how to extract it!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

What a riot! That would be me if I ever cooked shrimp. The very first day I used my new stove I accidentally flung taco meat doqn the crack between stove and cabinet. I need one of those gasket strips to over that.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I wondered if I was the only one deterred from buying that range because of those vents. They looked like an accident waiting to happen. Good idea to use mesh ... will you be able to hide it under the vents?

• silken1
    9 years ago

I don't have the GE Café, but I have a slide in GE Profile Induction range which has a back vent that sounds the same or similar to what you are discussing. I worried about splattering grease or dropping food in there too. But 9 months in and no problems.

I do think there is one advantage to that vent. I read lots of reviews and did lots of research before choosing this range. Some people with other models complained about warm air blowing at them from the front of the range on other models. At least all the venting is far away from you while you are standing there cooking on this model.

• Ann Gass
    7 years ago

we have a similar range, and so far a french fry has fallen in, and just now a glue stick from a glue gun. No effects so far but it drives me crazy.

• Becky H
    4 years ago

I just lost a chocolate chip cookie in the vent on my fe profile. I came to the internet to figure out what to do and landed here. Glad to see I’m not the only one, but how do I get it out?!

• Karen Khan
    3 years ago

I just want to thank you all for this discussion on the ge air vents. I hang my measuring spoons on the wall above my GE range and today when I was hanging one back up, I missed the hook and it fell into one of the air vent openings. I pictured having to take something apart or to permanently live without my 1 tsp. spoon, but thanks to your discussions, I read what isnoop wrote about the broiler cover and when I knew to look on it, there was my spoon. The ole coat hanger made it easy to get it out!! BUT I really think the owner’s manual should have at least given a few words about where all those big air vent openings go so one has a clue.

• helaurin93
    3 years ago

Glad I came across this. I had been seriously thinking about the Cafe. My teenager is learning to be a good cook - but she is a definitely in the "messy" category and stuff falling down there would absolutely be a possibility. Ok, really a likelihood. Almost a definite. Now I'm thinking... maybe not this range for us.

• s g
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I roasted sliced delicatta squash and as I was scooping them off the baking sheet, one piece flung into one of the rear vent holes. I could see it briefly before it fell further. I have the GE Cafe electric double oven range. As for vent cavities, mine seems to have a "gap", a wide duct, a small duct, another "gap" (which the squash went into) and then a larger wide duct. Not sure where my squash went down to, or how to access the broiler plate in either oven. It's been very frustrating trying to probe or even see where it dropped to. Hoping it just dehydrates and doesn't cause any significant air flow obstruction. Not thrilled about the design after this happened, but at least this was the first incident after a year+ of having the range. Lesson learned - scoop side to side instead of towards the back, or chop my veggies larger... 😕 Was anyone successful with adding a mesh?

• HU-671129071
    last year

I had a sausage link fall through the big oven vent on the middle right side on my GE Gas stove. Easy fix! looked with a flaslight and could see it in the upper oven where the burners are. Removed 2 nuts in front tilted the burner down and sausage rolled out. Retighted nuts done!!!

• Glen Lenzi
    2 months ago

I just bought a Bertazzoni and also same issue but the vent openings are about 1/4”w x 1”L. When I cook anything on back burners oil, etc splatters in there. Under the vent openings there’s a long metal piece so all that falls in there is seen but hard to reach and clean. Yes it’s frustrating

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm