Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyatlaw_gw

Subway Complement to Beveled Arabesque?

mommyatlaw
12 years ago

Kitchen gut, here. I am planning on using Beveled Arabesque (in white) above the cooktop and bar backsplashes. The rest of the backsplash will be subway tile. White cabinets, cherry-spice colored hickory floors. I am leaning towards plain, glossy white subway tile to complement the arabesque. I want a clean look, but I feel like maybe the subway tile needs some texture - crackle? glass? a little iridescence? On the other hand, that might be too much with the arabesque. My granite is labradorite multi-color - light grey-green with little veins and spots of opalescence. I don't want to compete with that either. Stick with the white ceramic subway tile? You are the experts - what do you think?

Comments (16)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd match the finish of the arabesques. If those are glossy. matte or crackled, I'd do the same for the subways. Just be careful because not all white tiles match unless it is from the same company.... I would def get the beveled to coordinate with the arabeques as well.

• mommyatlaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are white glossy. I should be able to get a good match. You don't think that would be too much beveling?

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I agree with everything dianalo just said.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

If you want to mix these tiles, I would suggest you don't assume white glossy tile is the same as the next one. They might be different. I'm sure you can find tiles that work well together, but you need to see them in person.

Personally, I just loved being totally surrounded with the beveled arabesques and I would not have even mixed them with another tile. I think by using it all around is what gives it the really cool look. Even on the day we were moving out, people were still thinking it was a man made product that was on a sheet that we installed. It is hard to believe that they are individual tiles when you look at the entire thing.

I remember there was a photo of a kitchen where the person only used them in certain places and to me, it didn't have the same effect. But they did not use any other tile...so by using subways too, it might be ok. And yes, I agree, do beveled so the light is reflected.

This is the link to the kitchen with only the arabesques in one location:

http://www.granitegurus.com/2011/05/halstead-cambria-quartz-and-bianco.html

And here is a photo of the arabesques used in a shower on a feature panel, surrounded by other tile:

http://www.granitegurus.com/2011/05/more-on-beveled-arabesque-ceramic-tile.html

• Bunny
    12 years ago

I have crackled subways. Maybe it's my farsightedness, but I can't discern the crackle unless I get closer than 18" away. Not saying you should mix it with the glossy arabesques, but it's far less noticeable than I'd imagined it would be.

• kimiko232
    12 years ago

Oh bee, I'm glad you piped in.

I remember reading (a million years ago probably when you first posted it years ago) that you said it was difficult to install. Do you have any tips for us? We were planning on doing on the full backsplash ala your old kitchen. Our home won't be near the spectacular outcome you had. Just some quartz and white and grey cabs. I thought it would be a nice compliment to our somewhat busy speckly quartz. Would have loved your bianco antico, but was too far out of our budget. We could go with plain old subways like everyone else too. Never thought of beveled, though. Anyway, sorry to ramble. Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Kim

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

kimiko, I think they will look great with what you are describing in your kitchen.

The only tips I can give are: expect it to take longer than you think. We were probably too obsessed with making it perfect when laying them. We were trying to get the best fit possible and making them touch and interlock. But, if we realized that once you do get to the grouting stage, it doesn't matter if the space between them isn't perfect on the wall. Just check for level and plumb as you go along. You want to keep those horizontal and vertical lines straight.

We did not install it the way you see tile usually installed, the first row all along the counter, then do the 2nd row all the way around, etc. This was more of a "pyramid" pattern to it. It was the best way to get the lines straight.

Order a bit more than the 10% that you usually order for waste. Just because. We didn't make many (if any) cutting mistakes but maybe it's their shape...I don't know--just order extra.

We piped the grout in using a piping bag (not the pastry bag, but similar, find it at the tile aisle in Lowe's or wherever).

We used Permacolor by Laticrete for the grout, in bright white. This is a true white and it gives the desired result of having the grout really be the same color as the tile, and not a slightly off-white look that other bright whites have.

Hope this helps!

• mommyatlaw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bee (I hope you don't mind if I call you that) - After another day looking at tile, I am leaning towards using the arabesque alone. I tend to agree that that the beautiful effect of the arabesque is interrupted by introducing another tile and by breaking up the field. Perhaps subways in the powder room!

• slonewby
    12 years ago

OH!! thank you for posting this! I am using bianco antico and white cabinets and would LOVE to do the arabesque tiles for a backsplash. So far, I can't find it priced at a comfortable level though so I was thinking about mixing them with white subway tiles. I like the look of just the arabesque tiles but now I have something to show my husband when it comes time to finally decide! I planned my kitchen before I saw yours Bee! We must be a bit kindred in spirit!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

mommyatlaw, everybody calls me Bee! and glad you are thinking all arabesques.

And you too slonewby. Did you call Mission Stone & Tile? Ask for Mary Elizabeth, tell her you saw the tiles here. I was just talking to her today about my next house, and she was asking about GW. I told her about this thread. Ask her if there are any discounts available. They run specials sometimes.

Bee

• slonewby
    12 years ago

I have not called mission stone and tile. I bought a sample sq foot from mosaic tile - it should be here soon! I'm also thinking about beveled subway or even just plain subway. We live in the country and I'm going a bit more relaxed of a style kitchen. I'll have to post pics when the cabs and granite are in and you all can help me decide. LOVE the arabesque look though!

I'll call mission and see what they say!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

After seeing Bee's examples, I have to agree that the effect when mixing them with another tile is not as good as I would have guessed.
    I think they are too simple to be the feature tile so perhaps if you put a picture type tile feature, these could be the field tile.
    What works so well for them alone is the pattern they make with the shapes in a large format. You lose some of the specialness by using fewer of them. I feel like that when I see a basketweave pattern used that is too small an area. The repetition is what mesmerizes.

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

Bee, I have another question. BTW, thanks for the info above. I showed my husband.

The clearance between the counter and the upper cabinet is just 17.5 inches. Do you think that is enough to showcase your tiles? We have 40 inch uppers in an eight foot tall home. Going off of dianalo, we don't have the long stretches that you did. We have an "L" walled with a u shaped kitchen (peninsula on one side). It hate for it to look cheesy after seeing yours.
    Thanks for any other insight.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Hi Kimiko, You do raise a good point. And I did think about it. I just went and tried to find some pictures of the wall on the right without the stove. I can't find any right now.

But, as far as the impact of the tiles, I don't think it will be lost on an 18" high space. The reason being, when you would walk into the kitchen, people who were new to the space would automatically head over to the low area and feel it. As I said they always thought it was a man made product, but they had to touch it to be sure. And then they would "get it" that it is tile. And I would have to tell them that they are individual tiles.

I couldn't find a photo of just that wall, here is a photo from the day we moved out, it might help. Also (and this doesn't help you at all, I do have photos of it, but I can't share. They are from the photographer that came from BH&G Spec. Interest Magazine, and they are being used in the next issue. I'm pretty sure I'd be sued if I posted them!)

But take a look:

• slonewby
    11 years ago

I sure love those tiles.....but, we're going to need approx 75 square feet and, at close to $20/sq foot, I'm afraid it may be way out of the budget. I bought a sample and was surprised to see that only two tiles showed up for $34 incl shipping! I showed them to our builder and, though he liked them, he said they are roughly made and edges would need to be sanded/filed/whatever they do ..before they would fit nicely together. Did you have that issue at all?

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

Hi Bee,
    Thanks for the response. It was helpful. Haven't ordered them yet. Did you also have a problem with the edges? Congratulations on the magazine article. How exciting!

Thanks!
    Kim