Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricreno_gw

Granite, Marble, or Quartzite?? Which is it??

RICReno
13 years ago

We are renovating a house and have fallen for white marble countertops. We have been told of the cons to doing this and had everyone we know tell us not to go down this road. We did some searches for alternatives and found White Fantasy Granite (also known as Super White, White America). When we went to our local stone shop they told us that it's not granite, it's still marble. Then they muddied the waters more by saying it's closer to quartzite (which is how they had it labeled in their computer system). We are totally confused now and don't know who to believe. They claimed that if you seal it everything will be okay and it won't stain (I'm not buying it...). Does anyone know what this material really is, how do we authenticate it, and who's correct? Also, if this is just another marble, do you have any suggestions for non-marble alternatives? Everyone talks about quartzite being stronger/harder than granite but I don't see anyone selling it. We've done searches and tried to educate ourselves but it's not helping. Thanks.

Comments (23)

• stephct
    13 years ago

I don't really know the answers, but this article might be helpful:

http://www.granitegurus.com/2010/08/alternate-to-white-marble-in-kitchens.html

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I'm almost positive it's quartzite... and very beautiful.

• sochi
    13 years ago

There are people on the board who have Super White, do ask them. You don't see much quartzite I think because it is just gaining popularity the last couple of years and it is very in demand. I have a white(ish) quartzite (although not Super White) that is sealed and have had no problems with staining. Best way to tell for sure is to take a sealed sample home and test.

• elle3
    13 years ago

A little off topic, but, just curious, are there advantages to quartzite over granite? I'm seeing lots of quartzite lately....

• sochi
    13 years ago

elle3, both quartzite and granite are very hard, with quartzite being harder, so possibly a little more durable - but granite is pretty durable already. I think the main advantage is that for the non-TKO the white quartzites look a lot like marble, but with the durability (i.e. no staining, etching, chipping) of granite. It appeals to people who love marble but want something tougher like granite.

• RICReno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies! Will check out the link and try to test a piece.

• cjc123
    13 years ago

Super White Quartzite, Dolomite, Granite... all the same thing! These stone yards really need to nail down a label. We have it and LOVE it. When it was first installed and sealed I had heart failure a few times when cranberry juices spilled and left a "etch" mark, there were a few more marks in other places. Do you know they are gone!! They simply vanished. I am still VERY careful of things like vinegar, salad dressings, acid type things (lemons)(I think it is best if I say I treat it like I would a marble) and only clean with a spray bottle that has one squirt of dish soap and the rest water. We would install again in a second. Here are a few photo's of ours. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
    Cindy

From Kitchen before and after
    From Kitchen before and after

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

Most Commercial Granites do not "match the geologist's definition of granite". Below is a link for a good explanation of what is Granite. Understand this and you might win some respect while shopping for granites.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite and Its Geology

• cjc123
    13 years ago

I should have been clearer, the stone yards have all said to me that Super White is "Granite" another "Quartzite" and yet another "Dolomite". "I" call it Quartzite!, from Brazil ;-)

• finestra
    13 years ago

Can the marble be sealed in any way to reduce staining or etching? I want to use light painted cabinets and go with a black lacanche stove and want it to stand out. But I am concerned about putting marble next to such a high splatter area. If I put a dark countertop next to the stove, I feel like it will detract from the stove's beauty.

• alku05
    13 years ago

Marble can be sealed to protect from stains, but there is nothing to do to prevent etching from acidic foods. Part of getting marble and loving it is to accept the fact that etching will happen. It's subtle, but still there.

• momqs
    13 years ago

We have quartzite - it's called White Pearl or White Princess.

Firsthouse_mp has it honed and I have it polished. It looks a like like marble, but is hard and doesn't etch or stain (with sealer). (It was labeled granite at the yard we found it at).

sochi has a quartzite called Luna di Luca. Same properties. Also looks like marble - but different than the White Pearl.

My finished kitchen

firsthouse's finished kitchen

sochi's finished kitchen

• RICReno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the help everyone!
    cjc123 (Cindy) - Did they also try and call your quartzite Arabescato? What we have been shown looks just like your countertops but everyone has their own name, as you said.

Momqs - what state are you in that you were able to get quartzite? We are in Virginia. Just starting our search and hope that someone here will have it but curious if it's a regional thing. If you're close by could you please fwd the info?

Thanks again!

• momqs
    13 years ago

We got it from CH Briggs in Telford PA.

Ask them for White Pearl Granite if you call. We got it last summer but they may have more.

Tropical Stone in Malvern, PA has sochi's Luna di Luca but they call it Bianca Quartzite.

You can call them also and see what they have in stock.

Good luck!

• cjc123
    13 years ago

No they didn't use that name. (mostly called dolomite/quartzite at the time) In the granite yard it was stacked with the Marble and expensive granites. We purchased ours last May. New products are brought in all the time. None of the other quartzites listed above were available to me here in RI, Mass area at that time.
    Good Luck! :-) Let us know what you go with!

• RICReno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again momqs and cjc123!!!

• Chris
    9 years ago

We just got super white quartzite installed in our kitchen re-do and could not be happier! I looked around quite a bit before choosing this stone. I can tell you there are other quartzites out there that are flaky which may technically be marble. They are pretty, but have a crystalline look to them and you can tell the difference. My quartzite is predominately gray,although I asked for the slabs with the most white in them. They are sleek with no flakiness more the consistency of granite. From my research I think this super white or white fantasy quartzite is Arabescato Granite, also called Brazilian Arabescato Quartzite. I think they are one in the same. When I google and pictures come up it looks like ours. Attaching a pic. I HIGHLY recommend it and it wasn't crazy expensive. My fabricator recommended not sealing anymore either because he said it does not need it. I googled that as well and saw some experts who say sealing a stone that doesn't need it can dull it so I probably will see what happens over time.

• Chris
    9 years ago

Thanks for you input, but I know for a fact mine is super white quartzite. I have a family member in the business and did much research on this. If you saw and felt this stone vs. marble or the other flaky quartzites (which technically are marbles) you would see the difference.

• Chris
    9 years ago

Just for comparison, here are two flaky quartzites. They are very pretty but you can see the difference from true super white. These were called anthracite and antartica I believe. I was told to be very wary of these they will chip and etch easily.

• Chris
    9 years ago

super white slab - very smooth no flakes or crystalline look to it

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

Quartzites are most definitely not marbles. By definition. I strongly suggest that anyone investigating super white, marbles, quartzites, etc check out the countertop geology threads, one of them linked above, where a geologist has been very helpfully educating people about these stones.

• Austin B
    8 years ago

We had Super White in our last kitchen with three young girls all under 10. There were plenty of spills on it, which included things such as lime juice. We had it for about 4 years before we moved and never had any obvious etching or staining. We definitely loved it and would do that again. Though we are looking for more of a Marble look with the runs this time.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations