Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
33acres

Please help me pick a crackle subway!

Carol.33
10 years ago

We are to the point in our kitchen that we are choosing a backsplash. I've alway thought I'd do a plain subway, but I've fallen in love with these crackles. We have quarter sawn oak cabinets, hickory floors, and River White granite. This is the kitchen.

These are the tiles.

Here's the tiles against the wall.

and here are a couple with the tiles up against the hutch just so you can see the colors of everything up close.

The colors are white, bone (middle), and sand (the darkest).
Which one???

Comments (31)

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Is there a gray option?

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No gray in this particular brand of tile, just the three colors that I showed. There is gray in the counter, but nothing else in the house has any gray in it. I wondered about gray, but how would it look with the oak? The island looks like this,

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

The sand is reading pink on my computer screen.
    I am OK with either the bone or white - I am thinking the white might be too stark for the rest of the kitchen but can't tell from the computer.
    BTW - lovely kitchen from what I can see - what will go on the cute little shelves?

• xc60
    10 years ago

I'm thinking the bone, can you tell me more about the island color? I can't tell if it matches the bone or if its white or a yellow color. Very nice granite and cabinets. :)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Could you take a picture like the first one that you posted with the three tile colors?
    I'm thinking the Bone but it would be nice to see them from a distance.

• Peke
    10 years ago

The bone matches the majority of the counter, but the sand picks up some of the smaller sand colors in the counter. But would it be too much tan/brown with counter, cabinets and tile? Bone looks more creamy. My monitor is pretty much spot on with colors. What color will your paint be? I have oak cabinets and some grays work and some don't.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

carol-that is so pretty! Your drawers are amazing too - love the organization and your handles.

Moving on to the subject matter, I like the bone from what is pictured here but I too think a subtle gray may also work.

You are so close now, looks awesome thus far. :)

• fishymom
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is so warm and inviting! I really like the sand, it doesn't look pink at all on my monitor. Would you mind sharing what brand the tiles are, I am looking for a tile along those lines. Thanks

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

Of the tiles shown, I like the bone. The collection of miniatures is so nice.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

carol-peke is looking for backsplash tile for her sea pearl and had a link to a website with a 'mink' colored crackle. What do you think? You'd need a sample for sure but maybe a possibility? Crackle is so beautiful.

Medici Mink Crackle Tile

Peke's link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Peke: Sea Pearl needs a backsplash II

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I love your quarter-sawn oak! I have a white kitchen, but the next one (yeah, right) will be quarter-sawn.

I'm getting peachy reads from bone and sand, but it may be your camera or my monitor. I think the white is a little stark. A gray would have to be just right.

Are you keeping the color in the hall?

• dgormish
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is looking great. Love the cabs and counters. Beautiful island cabs and drawers.

From my computer, I think the white might be too bright for the rest of what you have. I really like the other too. In the bright light I could go with either but in the darker photos, I like the bone better. You could do a row of the or some pattern with the other one (or gray) as a decorative thing if you really like it.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous! The cabinets are perfection... I kept changing my mind between the white and the bone when looking at the photos, but I think I like the bone the best and that the white would be too stark. I personally didn't care for the sand color. Can't wait to see the final photos, whatever you choose!

• crl_
    10 years ago

On my screen bone looks best. Lovely choices!

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Of the three, I'd vote for bone. However I'd want to see a gray if I were you before I made a final decision. Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see your reveal! Love those drawer organizers.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Another vote for bone. Your miniatures are adorable! Love the cabs, too!

• Carol.33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Autumn for the link to the gray crackle. It looks like it could really work, but at 13.60/sq ft, it's $5 more than what we are looking at. Might not sound like much to some, but for us right now (way over budget), it's more than I can spend. I had thought we would go with the bone, but today when we were out there, the sand was our favorite. The sand is almost exactly the color of the island. This is just the sand and the bone , I scraped the white.

fishymom - These are Adex Hampton crackle tiles.

Any other suggestions on gray tiles? Or any other thoughts?

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Carol-so the adex hampton are only around $8/square? That is a good deal. I know exactly what you are talking about regarding over-budget and backsplash is one of the last things sooo...

I can't wait to see it all together, it looks so nice already!

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

In the earlier photos I leaned toward the bone, but in your latest photo I think the sand looks great. I think you'll have to make the call based on how they look in the true light in your home, at different times of day, etc.

Consider getting more of each tile and mocking up a quick sample board of each color, so you can get a feel for what a larger expanse of each color would look like. A sample board is good for making the decision on grout color as well (contrast vs. blend in).

• romy718
    10 years ago

It would be interesting to see the bone with a light to medium gray grout. It could change the whole look. We don't ask for much on this board, just a simple mockup of tiles with some gray grout.
    It was suggested to me. I didn't do it but it would have made my backsplash decision easier if I had.
    Your kitchen is lovely. Your granite looks with your cabinets.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 19:47

• phillyfeet
    10 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! Love the cabinets.

Based on first photos, I would have definitely chosen bone, but the last photo you posted has me thinking either could work (but i still prefer the bone). I am seeing a pink undertone with the sand on my monitor too.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I vote for the bone tile.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I like the darkest one.

• Peke
    10 years ago

This one is bone. Floor &©cor. Brites Bone. $1.68 sf.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Oops. Not crackle.
    Try this link. They have crackle tile for $3.50 sf.

Here is a link that might be useful: classic tile inc

• Peke
    10 years ago

They also have biscuit, bone colors.
    This one is Portonovo Grey. $2.50 sf.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Astral Luna. Same site. Same price.

Also check out this link. Click on ceramic, then look for crackle.

Here is a link that might be useful: complete tile

• Peke
    10 years ago

Look at the Vermeer ceramics. Tons of colors.
    This one is charcoal gray old world crackle.

I haven't seen it in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: complete tile

• colleenoz
    10 years ago

Like phillyfeet I originally preferred the bone but in your latest photo both look good (though I still lean toward the bone).
    PS I'd be very careful about a grey with that wood, I think too grey would not look well.

This post was edited by colleenoz on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 2:15

• jill
    6 years ago

What did you end up picking? My husband just built and installed quarter sawn oak cabinets and we are going w/ a quartz similar to your granite. Looking for a subway tile... do you have pics? Thanks