Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me pick a crackle subway!

Posted by Carol.33 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 20:57

We are to the point in our kitchen that we are choosing a backsplash. I've alway thought I'd do a plain subway, but I've fallen in love with these crackles. We have quarter sawn oak cabinets, hickory floors, and River White granite. This is the kitchen. photo IMG_2114_zps4aec31b9.jpg
These are the tiles. photo IMG_2115_zps4a2c95fa.jpg
Here's the tiles against the wall. photo IMG_2101_zpsa1047b47.jpg
and here are a couple with the tiles up against the hutch just so you can see the colors of everything up close. photo IMG_2105_zps971ee40d.jpg photo IMG_2106_zps73b6760a.jpg

The colors are white, bone (middle), and sand (the darkest).
Which one???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me pick a crackle subway!

Is there a gray option?

o

No gray in this particular brand of tile, just the three colors that I showed. There is gray in the counter, but nothing else in the house has any gray in it. I wondered about gray, but how would it look with the oak? The island looks like this, photo IMG_2074_zps553b3b7d.jpg

o

The sand is reading pink on my computer screen.
I am OK with either the bone or white - I am thinking the white might be too stark for the rest of the kitchen but can't tell from the computer.
BTW - lovely kitchen from what I can see - what will go on the cute little shelves?

o

I'm thinking the bone, can you tell me more about the island color? I can't tell if it matches the bone or if its white or a yellow color. Very nice granite and cabinets. :)

o

Could you take a picture like the first one that you posted with the three tile colors?
I'm thinking the Bone but it would be nice to see them from a distance.

o

The bone matches the majority of the counter, but the sand picks up some of the smaller sand colors in the counter. But would it be too much tan/brown with counter, cabinets and tile? Bone looks more creamy. My monitor is pretty much spot on with colors. What color will your paint be? I have oak cabinets and some grays work and some don't.

o

The wall color is already there and is SW Accessible Beige. The kitchen is a corner of a huge great room, all painted that. The island is almost exactly the same color as the walls. Here's a better idea of the color. Love what he did to my drawers! photo IMG_2108_zps0bec2e25.jpgThe only other color that you can see from the room is the hallway and the sunroom which are both painted SW Halcyon Green (it's blue to me!).
 photo IMG_2095_zpsb2134efb.jpga2gemini - the little shelves are for my Shawnee Miniature collection. Here they are in my current kitchen. photo IMG_1654_zpsf27ebc17.jpg

I'd be ok with a grey backsplash, if it was a warm gray. Any ideas?

o

carol-that is so pretty! Your drawers are amazing too - love the organization and your handles.

Moving on to the subject matter, I like the bone from what is pictured here but I too think a subtle gray may also work.

You are so close now, looks awesome thus far. :)

o

Your kitchen is so warm and inviting! I really like the sand, it doesn't look pink at all on my monitor. Would you mind sharing what brand the tiles are, I am looking for a tile along those lines. Thanks

o

Of the tiles shown, I like the bone. The collection of miniatures is so nice.

o

carol-peke is looking for backsplash tile for her sea pearl and had a link to a website with a 'mink' colored crackle. What do you think? You'd need a sample for sure but maybe a possibility? Crackle is so beautiful.

Medici Mink Crackle Tile

Peke's link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Peke: Sea Pearl needs a backsplash II

o

I love your quarter-sawn oak! I have a white kitchen, but the next one (yeah, right) will be quarter-sawn.

I'm getting peachy reads from bone and sand, but it may be your camera or my monitor. I think the white is a little stark. A gray would have to be just right.

Are you keeping the color in the hall?

o

Your kitchen is looking great. Love the cabs and counters. Beautiful island cabs and drawers.

From my computer, I think the white might be too bright for the rest of what you have. I really like the other too. In the bright light I could go with either but in the darker photos, I like the bone better. You could do a row of the or some pattern with the other one (or gray) as a decorative thing if you really like it.

o

Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous! The cabinets are perfection... I kept changing my mind between the white and the bone when looking at the photos, but I think I like the bone the best and that the white would be too stark. I personally didn't care for the sand color. Can't wait to see the final photos, whatever you choose!

o

On my screen bone looks best. Lovely choices!

o

Of the three, I'd vote for bone. However I'd want to see a gray if I were you before I made a final decision. Your kitchen is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see your reveal! Love those drawer organizers.

o

Another vote for bone. Your miniatures are adorable! Love the cabs, too!

o

Thanks Autumn for the link to the gray crackle. It looks like it could really work, but at 13.60/sq ft, it's $5 more than what we are looking at. Might not sound like much to some, but for us right now (way over budget), it's more than I can spend. I had thought we would go with the bone, but today when we were out there, the sand was our favorite. The sand is almost exactly the color of the island. This is just the sand and the bone , I scraped the white.
 photo IMG_2131_zps33969f1c.jpg
fishymom - These are Adex Hampton crackle tiles.

Any other suggestions on gray tiles? Or any other thoughts?

o

Carol-so the adex hampton are only around $8/square? That is a good deal. I know exactly what you are talking about regarding over-budget and backsplash is one of the last things sooo...

I can't wait to see it all together, it looks so nice already!

o

In the earlier photos I leaned toward the bone, but in your latest photo I think the sand looks great. I think you'll have to make the call based on how they look in the true light in your home, at different times of day, etc.

Consider getting more of each tile and mocking up a quick sample board of each color, so you can get a feel for what a larger expanse of each color would look like. A sample board is good for making the decision on grout color as well (contrast vs. blend in).

o

It would be interesting to see the bone with a light to medium gray grout. It could change the whole look. We don't ask for much on this board, just a simple mockup of tiles with some gray grout.
It was suggested to me. I didn't do it but it would have made my backsplash decision easier if I had.
Your kitchen is lovely. Your granite looks with your cabinets.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sun, Mar 2, 14 at 19:47

o

What a beautiful kitchen! Love the cabinets.

Based on first photos, I would have definitely chosen bone, but the last photo you posted has me thinking either could work (but i still prefer the bone). I am seeing a pink undertone with the sand on my monitor too.

o

I vote for the bone tile.

o

I like the darkest one.

o

This one is bone. Floor &décor. Brites Bone. $1.68 sf.

o

Oops. Not crackle.
Try this link. They have crackle tile for $3.50 sf.

Here is a link that might be useful: classic tile inc

o

They also have biscuit, bone colors.
This one is Portonovo Grey. $2.50 sf.

o

Astral Luna. Same site. Same price.

Also check out this link. Click on ceramic, then look for crackle.

Here is a link that might be useful: complete tile

o

Look at the Vermeer ceramics. Tons of colors.
This one is charcoal gray old world crackle.

I haven't seen it in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: complete tile

o

Like phillyfeet I originally preferred the bone but in your latest photo both look good (though I still lean toward the bone).
PS I'd be very careful about a grey with that wood, I think too grey would not look well.

This post was edited by colleenoz on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 2:15

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here