Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lshepherd12

Please show me your cherry wood cabinets (shaker preferred)

lshepherd12
12 years ago

I'm the process of selecting a stain for my cherry wood shaker style cabinets. My floor will have a golden oak minwax stain, which is a medium-light stain.

I'm leaning towards a darker stain to bring some contrast from the floor, but not so dark like an espresso. I know that I definitely do not want a dark granite. I'm attracted to the modern farmhouse look.

This is my first time with cherry cabinets, so I'm also not sure how much the color will change over time.

The closest color that I've liked from looking at pictures is in the link below:

http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=88591&index=18ätPage=1&searchQuery=granite&searchType=photos

I can't tell from the photo, but in real life, would this kitchen look too 'red'?

Here is a link that might be useful: Color option

Comments (14)

• badgergal
    12 years ago

I have natural cherry shaker style cabinets with natural ash hardwood floors. My cabinets were installed in November and they have darkened a little bit. It is hard to show the difference in pictures because the pictures I have we're taken with a cell phone and different times of the day with different ambient light conditions.
    My cabinets are not dark like you want but I thought I would post anyway so you could see how they look with the wood floors. Also I do realize you do not want dark granite like I have but here is a picture anyway.
    {{!gwi}}

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Here's some of them:

You can click on the photo and see more in my photobucket account I think. I guess I don't have a good overall shot of them, surprisingly.

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

We are just now getting ours installed so are in reno mode, but I'll post the mess because they are similar in color to your inspiration pic. These were taken at night, one of the reno items not completed yet is lighting except for the recessed, so these probably aren't the best representation. I'll try to take one when I get home from work with more accurate lighting. There are a couple of other pics too if you want to flip through the album. Please ignore the mess!

• docmamma
    12 years ago

lshepard12 - I am very excited about this thread because I am also planning a cherry kitchen with shaker cabs (although mine will be natural). I can't wait to see the pics.

badgergal - as I believe I have said before I just LOVE your kitchen. My new inspiration kitchen!

aliris19 - another kitchen to love! please tell me the name of your granite. it is beautiful.

kellienoelle - yours is beautiful too! oh so many options...

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

I just posted some pics in the DIY soapstone thread. Mine are cherry shaker with walnut pegs in the corners.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

One of my favorite cherry shaker cabinet kitchens is ni_2006's which has unstained white oak floors and stunning cherry cabinets.

• czarinalex
    12 years ago

This is my current kitchen.. these were the listing pics but other than some new accessories, we haven't changed a thing.

• leela4
    12 years ago

Here are our natural cherry cabs with natural maple floors. Again, lighter than your inspiration pics, although they have darkened somewhat; they've been in since July 2010.

• codymaxx
    12 years ago

Beautiful wood. We're looking forward to our natural cherry cabinets. I hope they're as nice as yours.

• prospect711
    12 years ago

Ours are natural cherry. They are a little bit darker now.

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Natural cherry shaker cabinets with natural maple floor. These cabinets are 6 years old so they have fully darkened - it happens pretty quickly:

For comparison regarding darkening, here is natural cherry in our family room cabinets which were brand new in this picture; the same natural maple floor:

• RICSFAN
    12 years ago

My kitchen is not done yet but here is a close up.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Cherry is a beautiful wood. I love the possibilities before you.

~boxer

\