Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_tlc_gw

Please show me your diamond patterned backsplash

mrs_tlc
16 years ago

We are finally getting ready to do our backsplash and are doing the lightest color 4" tunbled travertine on the diamond with 2" pieces of our granite that we had cut to go in as insert "dots". Question: should we put the dots squared since the larger tiles are on the diamond or should we put both in the diamond pattern?

I would love to see pictures of both is anyone has any!

Thank you!!

Comments (9)

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

There are several at the following link:

Here is a link that might be useful: my gallery's backsplash section

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

This is an "in progress" pic - we finished it off with a rectangular bull nose at the top of this run. The outlet covers are stainless and look great with the tile, also seem to echo the shape of the insets (square though they are!)

HTH!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

I found this pic (sorry, no idea whose kitchen it is) while going through my files.

{{!gwi}}

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the pictures and also the backsplash link, it had several examples of what we are going to do. Question for Bill V: our tiles are 4" and the granite dots are 2" our wall space is small so I am wondering what spacing would look best. Should we go every two tiles for spacing or every three? I want the "dots" to be an accent but not take away from the countertops. Here are a couple of pictures of our kitchen

These were taken with a wide angle lense so they may appear a bit bigger. The actual length of the wall section by the little island is 39 1/2", the other side to the right of the window is 45" and the wall to the left of the fridge is 69".

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Wow!

That's going to look great! I can picture it already! Out of curiosity, how much did it cost to get the 2X2's cut out of your granite, or did you find them at the tile store? (I know our tile store has my granite in mosaic pieces- but I've 'heard' that the lesser quality/lesser attractive granite gets used up in the tiles- sort of makes sense).

Since you have a fairly small area, I would mock up on one wall- Should be simple enough to find construction paper the approximate colour of your marble, then print off photos of your granite and cut the paper into 2 X 2's. Then play with the pieces. I am a visual person, and really like to see how it's actually going to be.

I would try and spread them out so that it makes sense for each wall. ie, if two would give even spacing for the shortest wall, then three for the longer wall, etc. Are you planning on BSing the short end behind the coffee maker?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

mrs_tlc I'd say every three tiles. With 2" dots, you don't want too many or it really overpowers the space. The folloing pics are of a backsplash I did a few years ago. In spite of my objections, the homeowner requested that I do it exactly like her friend's backsplash (which I also did, but with 3/4" dots). Here's the friend's backsplash, and then hers:

Big difference.

• mrs_tlc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Bill! Those two pictures are exactly what I was looking at on your link, as well as the one above on this thread with the slate, and I agree that the three spacing would be best. The other one looks too overwhelming to me. We are thinking of putting the dots on the diamond as well. Not sure yet. What do you think?

raehelen: actually our granite guy did this for us for free. Our granite it 3cm so he shaved it in half to make it the right thin-ness and then cut it into 2" wide strips. we have a wet saw so we are cutting them into the 2" squares. He has been in the granite trade a long time but but newly in his "own" business so he is doing extras for his newest clients to try to get referrals. Smart man! He also gave us the ogee edge all around, even the sink, for free. I like your idea about doing a mock up.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

We are thinking of putting the dots on the diamond as well. Not sure yet. What do you think?

So long as you realise it's going to be a WHOLE lot more work, or if you're having an installer do it, it'll cost more for the installation, then I'd say go for it. The reason I say that is if you set the tiles diagonally and then the dots square, you can set a jig on the saw, and then just clip the corners on the tiles you need to, one after another, without having to bother to measure each and every tile. If, however, you set the dots diagonally along WITH the tiles, now, not only do you have to measure to make sure you center the tiles on the joints between the field tiles, but then each of the four tiles for each dot is now also an "L" cut. The time just to cut the pieces in preparation for installation will extend exponentially. All that being said, though, I can understand why you'd do it. It WOULD look better, if you're willing to spend the time or the money.

• pauladunning_telus_net
    15 years ago

mrs_tlc, you have the makings of a gorgeous kitchen! I came across your posting while surfing the net for backsplash ideas. I would love to see photos of your completed kitchen, if you are willing and able to post some. Also, did you do the backsplash yourself or have it professionally done? Any tips?
    Thanks in advance...!