Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tfcwifey

Another White Kitchen (In CT)

TFCwifey
11 years ago

Hi,
we are in the process of building our dream house. I have my heart set on a white kitchen with white counter tops. I had super white granite on hold for the past 3 months. When we went to see the stone yesterday to decide where the cut outs would be placed I changed my mind!!!

I saw the Carrera marble out of the corner of my eye and said if they could give me the same price for the marble then I wanted to go with that instead. The super white seemed to grey to me and had a dark/dirty looking vein running thru it which I know would bug me forever. Plus the guy said that the super white really isn't granite that its more of a quartzite , which is about the same softness as marble. So I figured I mind as well go with what I love. We are paying to have a super sealer put on it. Can't wait to see it get installed!!

Here is the kitchen so far. Let me know your thoughts. Thnx

Comments (44)

• caitlinmagner
    11 years ago

ok, it took me waaayyy too long to realize you pic posted upside down! Anyway, I'm glad you are getting what you love. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Dreadfully jealous, looks lovely already. What is floor? Best, oldbat2be

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

Why are the cabinets mounted to the ceiling? oldbat, the floor looks like drywall with up-lights....

kidding, of course.

Some of the SW slabs have been very gray. I'm so happy for you that your heart is singing with the marble. Congrats!!!

• smiling
    11 years ago

Looks great, even upside down! The marble should be wonderful in there, too.

• TFCwifey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Really? The picture is upside down for u? I'm using my iPad and the picture is right side up for me?? Sorry not sure what's going on.
    Oldbat2be the floors are wood looking tile . Here is a pic. Hopefully it doesn't load upside down. They are from Florida Tile -Berkshire in Olive color.

• aries61
    11 years ago

Here's the pic right side up.

• realism
    11 years ago

Hope you're aware of all the properties of marble. Putting a sealer on it may help with staining but etching is another issue. As for your comments on quartzite, you should really read the thread titled "The Lowdown on Super White."

This post was edited by realism on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 22:53

• Linda
    11 years ago

Your kitchen looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see it finished. What kind of cabinets?

• TFCwifey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats aries61 for adding the pic upright.
    and Yes realism I am aware of the properties of marble. We are having it honed and sealed. We will just have to be extra careful.
    Leglallin The cabinets are from Wellborn. I am happy with them so far.
    Glad you all like it. I will def post finished pix.

• stealthecrumbs
    11 years ago

Looks great already! I can't wait to see your finished kitchen- especially the marble. I LOVE an all white kitchen!!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

It's beautiful and congratulations on your marble! The very first think I considered other than granite was superwhite. By the time we did our island and I went back and looked at the SW, it wasn't "white" at all - it was gray. Very gray. I changed to a honed statuary marble. It is sealed with 511 (no SUPER seal). I've had it a year. No trouble with stains at all - it's still beautifuly white. I have etches and more than that I have scratches (sliding a bowl across the counter, my KitchenAid mixer, the laptop, etc.). The etches don't really bother me and with time seem to blend in. The scratches bother me a bit - like if I could figure out how to get them out, I would. But I can't so I don't! I would do it all over again in a second! I love my marble. It's so "warm" compared to my granite perimeter. I still love to touch it. After a year, it has a large worn spot where I work all the time (you can only see this in certain light). I love it! I've patina-ed my own marble by working! My kitchen, too, is white and I love the brightness and cleaness. Yours is stunningly beautiful. Congratulations!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Sorry, dont know why this posted twice

This post was edited by go_figure01 on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 15:28

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Looks fabulous ! Can you share your kitchen dimensions?
    Look forward to your reveal!
    TY

• marioncohen1
    11 years ago

Deb52899 I am curious to know what granite on the perimeters did you use to match the Carrara marble on the island?

• marioncohen1
    11 years ago

Deb52899 I am curious to know what granite on the perimeters did you use to match the Carrara marble on the island?

• TFCwifey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Go_figure01 the dimensions of the kitchen are 16' 5" from window wall to refrigerator wall and 14' 6" from the pantry wall to the wall that separates the kitchen and the Family room.

• finestra
    11 years ago

Super White and other quartzites were significantly more than carerra at my stone place. I got Montclair Danby and paid about the same as carrerra. Please be sure you are ready to accept etching. No matter how careful you are, you will end up with etching. I have mine honed and sealed and have had no stains in the 9 months. I have had several large dinner parties (30+) and no stains. But I do have etches. Orange juice, tomatoes, lemon, vinegar. They all etch pretty quickly. I can live with it, but I still try to wipe them away!

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

So glad to see another person happy with choosing marble. We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. My hubby is making the cabinetry, which will be painted BM dove white, and I too want marble, probably carrara. Your kitchen is going to be beautiful, and I would love to see the pics.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Hear hear! More pictures please!

• heidihausfrau
    10 years ago

Your kitchen looks amazing so far! You must be thrilled with all the progress.

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Lookin' good! Marble will be beautiful. I think the dark floor is going to look great. Getting to the home stretch!

• SaraKat
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful and the color on the cabinets looks really nice on my laptop. Can't wait to see it all finished. I really love the look of marble and wish I could do it. I have it in a bathroom and it is breathtakingly beautiful but I do worry about it a lot. I think it's great that people can take it in stride and not worry about it getting a little lived in look after awhile! Love what you have done so far.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love the idea of a beautiful, soft marble. You will love the patina that you give it. I am too much of a fuss bug about scratches and so forth so I am going with granite but I have serious kitchen envy of your beautiful white cabinets and lovely marble. I like my maple cabinets but my heart wants creamy white but DH nixed that idea. We are spending quite a bit on this kitchen and I think my heart will always say "I wish it were creamy white"!

• whit461
    10 years ago

TFCwifey, I am sitting here waiting for my installers to bring my Carrara Marble countertops to install in our white kitchen!!!! Wanted marble from the beginning and really nothing else. I'll post pics and you keep posting as well.

• whit461
    10 years ago

Can't wait. Bored. Here's a pic while waiting.

• whit461
    10 years ago

Another view

• aries61
    10 years ago

Whit461..What brand range do you have? For some reason it looks narrow.

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

Whit461, how exciting to be at this stage!!! As I mentioned previously, my hubby is building the cabinetry, so we have a ways to go before I am eagerly waiting for my marble.

Please post pics when it is installed. Your kitchen looks beautiful, the marble will be the icing on the cake. Just curious, how long did it take you to find the marble slabs you liked?

• whit461
    10 years ago

Aries61, the range is a GE Monogram 30" Dual Fuel.

Ikeltz, it took me bout 30 min to pick our slabs. Of course I cheated, since the yard is across the street from my work, and I had wondered over twice before to talk with them and learn. Still I was lucky, and picked 2 out of the 15 we looked through, which ended up being sequentially cut from the same block.

• whit461
    10 years ago

TFCwifey, our counters are going in now. One CT native to another, I can't wait to see yours.

• TFCwifey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whit461 sorry haven't been on here in a while. Your kitchen looks GORG!!!! LOVE IT!!! I love the polished marble!!. I hope I don't regret choosing honed instead of the polished. We did do polish in our masterbath room. I will post those pix too.
    Our marble is in and the lights were installed yesterday. The appliances aren't coming for another week or two. I will run over to the house today to take a picture for you guys!!!

• TFCwifey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Still a lot of work to be done. But here is a progress pic for you guys.

• TFCwifey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up of honed marble countertops

• TFCwifey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a partial pic of our Master Bathroom marble. I will post more pics of that in the Bathroom section.

• whit461
    10 years ago

TCWifey, it's fantastic! I wish our house was bigger so we could have done more like what you did. Lots of craftsmanship showing through. Your pulls are great, too. I notice those kinds of things after the angst I went through that Breezy talked me down from the edge. Also the tile. What size is yours and where did you guys get it? I am going out this weekend looking at tile. We are going to go white subway with a slightly gray grout, but I really want some of the different ones from Ann Sacks. Can't wait to see your appliances in there.

• Glisson4
    10 years ago

Beautifully done.from another CT resident!

• marioncohen1
    10 years ago

Whit461, so your island is polished and your counters are honed? Please let me know? I am leaning towards doing that also but not sure how it will look.
    Marion13

• whit461
    10 years ago

Marion, no our counters are all polished. Didn't want it that way. When we started the process, HD KD told us yes, we could get the marble honed. Later we found out no, we could only get it in polished. We have researched and can get it honed or reconditioned in place for about $5/ft. So we are living with the polished for now. I still want honed. I am intrigued by your idea, though.

• TFCwifey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whit461 the subway tile is 3x6 and we got it from NJ at Wayne Tile and we had AGCtile from NJ install it. I am happy with it but I kinda wish we went with a different one. These are very thin and if you look at them a certain way you can see diagonal stripes in them. Maybe nobody will notice but I do and it bothers me. The one we originally picked out was much thicker but was on back order for 5 weeks and we didn't want to wait that long. Our appliances are now scheduled to be installed April 19th, can't wait!!!
    One word of advice, if you can bring a sample of your cabinet and counter then def bring it!!! And if you can't bring them to the store then def bring samples home of the tile before you make your final decision. The different shades of white tile can make a HUGE difference!!!! Good Luck!! Can't wait to see the finished project!!

• marioncohen1
    10 years ago

Whit461, I saw a photo of it on Houzz and it looked really great. The thought being that the island will have placemats when eating so the polished is fine and looks beautiful while the counters or permiter is honed because its more of a work area. Look for it on Houzz. I just wonder why yours couldn't be honed to begin with?
    marion13

• HiGwen
    10 years ago

Curious, do you know what shade/color of 'white' this is?

Looks great!

• ikeltz
    10 years ago

TFCwifey, I love your kitchen!!! I can't wait to see it all done with the appliances in. My DH is making our cabinets and I am also putting in carrara marble. I can't wait. And seeing such a stunning kitchen as yours, just makes me even more impatient. How long did it take you to find your slabs? You don't see too much of them where I live, so I hope it is not going to be a production when we get to that stage.

• geansmarie
    10 years ago

TFCwifey - beautiful kitchen! I have been lurking around this site for some time and I had to make a comment when I saw your kitchen! I am building a house outside of Chicago and our kitchen has similar dimensions (14'5"x16'8"). Although, my sink wall is on the longer wall. In my current plan, I have a cabinet tower on the ends of the sink wall with a appliance garage at the bottom with a glass upper next to it. I was having a hard time picturing how it was going to look and then I saw your pictures! Any way you could send on a picture of the full sink wall? Thanks!

This post was edited by geansmarie on Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 17:18