Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donho_gw

Where can have a cool table like this made?

donho
14 years ago

I'm almost finished with my kitchen (another white kitchen with inset cabinets, honed AB granite, and dark wood floors) and am looking for a table for our built-in seating. I want something vintage / industrial. Anyone know where I can get someone to make me one like these? I'll have to get it custom as I need an odd size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage/industial tables

Comments (13)

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Maybe a plumber? If there are any old plumbers left around who own pipe threaders, that is.

• jbax
    14 years ago

That would be very easy to make. Simply purchase pipe from Home Depot, etc. The pipes come in several sizes. You can purchase the industrial casters from seemingly unlimited sources online. Just do a google search. As for the top, you can make it whatever fits your style.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I *think you can still get threaded pipe for gaslines and radiator connections. People where I grew up still have threaded pipe hand rails on their porch steps.

You may be able to make the base yourself.

• donho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, yes. I've even found a place online already that sells fittings and piping and has plans for a few pieces. I was hoping not to have make it for myself, though! Looking for that entrepreneur that is already doing it.

• marcolo
    14 years ago

These aren't hard to find. Vintage will give you the warmth and look you're after.

Problem is, prices vary widely. You can certainly find them on craigslist. They go for hefty prices from 1-5K at antiq*ues shops.

This one's $1500.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I think this one's adjustable.
    {{!gwi}}

Lookie, with stools built in!

{{!gwi}}

You can find those and more here, that's my link, not one of those green thingies.

You can also keep an eye on Urban Remains Chicago, they always have cool vintage industrial stuff.

There's also Factory 20, much cheaper:

This one's about a grand, though. It's really more of a desk:

The one below is from American Furnishings, which says it sells "repurposed" stuff. You can right click on this, the pic doesn't want to show up:

{{!gwi}}

• John Liu
    14 years ago

Another way would be to use steel or aluminium pipe connected with cast aluminium pipe railing fittings. See the link below.

You don't have to thread anything, just cut pipes to length (use a hacksaw, ideally with a vise or a helper to hold the pipe, and get some exercise - it'll be a lot easier with aluminium pipe) and clamp on the fittings. Support the top on flanges, attached with screws to the underside of the top. The top can be butcher block from IKEA, 3/4'' finish plywood cut to size (a lumber shop will usually make the cut for you) then brought to a sheet metal shop (have them cover it with stainless steel or copper), or whatever.

If you use threaded pipe fittings like an actual plumber, your design may run into weird things where you need to turn a length of pipe one way to thread it into the fitting on one end, but you need to turn it the other way to thread into the fitting on the other end - if you can visualize the dilemma. I assume plumbers solve this with left-hand threads but I don't really know.

And another way would be to use copper pipe and copper fittings, and braze them together. The handrails on the stairs outside my house are like this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed-Rail Cast Aluminium Pipe Rail Fittings

• John Liu
    14 years ago

By the way, if you browse around that site, you'll see all sorts of pipe and railing components, some very interesting. I think I may make my wall-mount pot rack from something there, if I can't find an affordable ready-made one with precisely the correct dimension. The alternative would have been to have a metal shop weld up a custom rack.

• donho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I may just have to DIY, I guess, since I need that certain size. The attached link has a tab called "projects" that shows some cool things people have built with pipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kee Klamp Fittings

• malhgold
    14 years ago

You can try here. It's all custom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Industrial Furniture

• sadie709
    14 years ago

Check out the flea markets. I've seen some there and the vendor can usually custom make something for you if size is an issue.

• donho
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sadie709 -

Are you perhaps in the NYC tri-state area? Just wondering if you could recommend a good flea market in the area.

thanks, donho

• growlery
    14 years ago

Go to a good salvage place (are you in the Northeast? there's an excellent place in New Bedford).

Look around at all the good junk, think creatively about what you could use for a base. Two old school desk bases? A weird piece of industrial equipment? There may even be bases very much like that, cradles for something in a factory.

The people at the salvage place can usually advise you on stuff like how it could be restored and what would be a bad idea -- a lightly rusty piece can be sandblasted to a clean surface -- and may even help you find someone local to build what you're looking for. If it's metal, you'd probably need a welding shop or something similar. I had a metal bed fixed and it was not expensive. Sandblasting and repainting was moderate.

Then get a slab of good wood: a slice of old bowling alley, an old door, a butcher block remnant; or a piece of tempered glass or a piece of marble soapstone, whatever, and either let its weight hold it down or find a way to attach it.

Awhile back, there was a vogue for using casket dollies for coffee tables -- just expand them and top with a piece of glass. Nothing is too weird!

• steff_1
    14 years ago

You could try Brimfield, they have just about everything there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brimfield link