Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning my Wolf Hood

Posted by mum2gandb (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 20:44

My grates get cleaned every 5-7 days, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can clean the fan itself. It is hard for me to get up there, but I feel like I'm missing something. It seems to have the worst odours.

Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning my Wolf Hood

I don't have Wolf, so this may not apply to you. I have a Kobe, and I clean the baffles about every month or two. One time, after about a year, maybe, I decided to take it apart further and clean the fans. Big mistake. Couldn't figure out how to get it back together. The reason there were no instructions in my users manual was that you weren't supposed to clean up there. Kobe customer svc was great and emailed me a diagram about how to reassemble the unit. So unless your users manual tells you how to do this, I would suggest not trying it. Maybe you can contact Wolf and ask them about the odors and whether you should try to clean the fans.

o

I have a Wolf hood....have had since I installed it in 2005. No smells at all from the hood, so I'm really surprised at what you're reporting. Cleaning is a dream. All you have to do is remove the baffles (I have 2 because my range is only 30 inches), place them in the dishwasher and they emerge beautifully. While the baffels are being cleaned, just use soap and water to thoroughly clean the rest of the hood -- inside and out. I don't fry, and when I sautee, I use very little oil, so I get by only cleaning the hood/baffles/etc every 6 months or so. Easiest set-up I've ever used!

o

I wish I saw this post earlier. I took my Wolf hood apart this morning to clean it. You would be surprised how much grease gets past the baffles.

If you try this, wear gloves and turn off the circuit breaker for the fan. There are lots of sharp edges. With the baffles out, look at the top of the hood that holds the baffles. You'll see 2 or 3 screws depending upon the size. Take out the screws and the stainless steel panel will flip down and you can pull it out. The back will probably be gross.

Behind it is another galvanized panel that too can be removed. There are screws on the side and bottom. The entire panel is pushed up and titled out. Use caution as the wiring harness is connected and there's not a lot of extra wire. I set mine on 2 5 gallon buckets.

With these panels out you'll have access to the blower and will be able to give them a good cleaning.

If you want more detail, let me know and I'll take some pics.

o

WOW! djlandkpl you have saved the day. Thank you!

I have called Wolf to discuss and they have been of very little help, but I can see how much junk is getting past my baffles and I'm frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to clean it all.

I really appreciate this!

o

WOW! djlandkpl you have saved the day. Thank you!

I have called Wolf to discuss and they have been of very little help, but I can see how much junk is getting past my baffles and I'm frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to clean it all.

I really appreciate this!

o

One quick check you can do. Again wearing gloves, remove one of the heat lamp bulbs if you have them. Feel around the bottom of the area that is now accessible. If you find a ton of grease, you'll want to take it apart.

How old is your hood?
Do you fry alot/use a lot of oil?
What size is the hood?

o

The first time I cleaned the hood, I couldn't figure out how to get the baffles back in. I called Wolf and the technician was super....carefully walked me through the steps (which I recorded in the instruction manual so I'd have it for future reference) and recommended I use gloves when removing/replacing the baffles because of the sharp edges.

I've never taken the hood apart like djl has done -- that sounds daunting! I've replaced the burnt out bulbs and they've not been greasy. There has been a small amount of grease in the drip channels where the baffles rest, and that has been easy to clean with soap & water.... It looks like the grease is going exactly where it's supposed to go -- into those channels.

I think I'd ask Wolf about dismantling the hood before you do that, unless you're as talented as djl is about disassembly/reassembly.

The key to this may be the questions that djl asked. In my case, the hood is almost 8 years old, and is installed over a 30-inch DF Wolf range. While I use the stove top every day, I never fry anything and sautee with only 1 TBS or less of olive oil.... So that may be why my hood/baffles have not been greasy.

The first time cleaning the baffles is the hardest ... figuring out how to repace them so they're properly reinstalled. I hope you have the same good luck I did with excellent help from Wolf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here