Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mum2gandb

Cleaning my Wolf Hood

mum2gandb
11 years ago

My grates get cleaned every 5-7 days, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can clean the fan itself. It is hard for me to get up there, but I feel like I'm missing something. It seems to have the worst odours.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (7)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I don't have Wolf, so this may not apply to you. I have a Kobe, and I clean the baffles about every month or two. One time, after about a year, maybe, I decided to take it apart further and clean the fans. Big mistake. Couldn't figure out how to get it back together. The reason there were no instructions in my users manual was that you weren't supposed to clean up there. Kobe customer svc was great and emailed me a diagram about how to reassemble the unit. So unless your users manual tells you how to do this, I would suggest not trying it. Maybe you can contact Wolf and ask them about the odors and whether you should try to clean the fans.

• beth4
    11 years ago

I have a Wolf hood....have had since I installed it in 2005. No smells at all from the hood, so I'm really surprised at what you're reporting. Cleaning is a dream. All you have to do is remove the baffles (I have 2 because my range is only 30 inches), place them in the dishwasher and they emerge beautifully. While the baffels are being cleaned, just use soap and water to thoroughly clean the rest of the hood -- inside and out. I don't fry, and when I sautee, I use very little oil, so I get by only cleaning the hood/baffles/etc every 6 months or so. Easiest set-up I've ever used!

• mum2gandb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW! djlandkpl you have saved the day. Thank you!

I have called Wolf to discuss and they have been of very little help, but I can see how much junk is getting past my baffles and I'm frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to clean it all.

I really appreciate this!

• mum2gandb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW! djlandkpl you have saved the day. Thank you!

I have called Wolf to discuss and they have been of very little help, but I can see how much junk is getting past my baffles and I'm frustrated because I can't seem to figure out how to clean it all.

I really appreciate this!

• djlandkpl
    11 years ago

One quick check you can do. Again wearing gloves, remove one of the heat lamp bulbs if you have them. Feel around the bottom of the area that is now accessible. If you find a ton of grease, you'll want to take it apart.

How old is your hood?
    Do you fry alot/use a lot of oil?
    What size is the hood?

• beth4
    11 years ago

The first time I cleaned the hood, I couldn't figure out how to get the baffles back in. I called Wolf and the technician was super....carefully walked me through the steps (which I recorded in the instruction manual so I'd have it for future reference) and recommended I use gloves when removing/replacing the baffles because of the sharp edges.

I've never taken the hood apart like djl has done -- that sounds daunting! I've replaced the burnt out bulbs and they've not been greasy. There has been a small amount of grease in the drip channels where the baffles rest, and that has been easy to clean with soap & water.... It looks like the grease is going exactly where it's supposed to go -- into those channels.

I think I'd ask Wolf about dismantling the hood before you do that, unless you're as talented as djl is about disassembly/reassembly.

The key to this may be the questions that djl asked. In my case, the hood is almost 8 years old, and is installed over a 30-inch DF Wolf range. While I use the stove top every day, I never fry anything and sautee with only 1 TBS or less of olive oil.... So that may be why my hood/baffles have not been greasy.

The first time cleaning the baffles is the hardest ... figuring out how to repace them so they're properly reinstalled. I hope you have the same good luck I did with excellent help from Wolf.