Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

I'm an official stoner now! - photos

rgillman
16 years ago

I have to say I was a bit apprehensive about this, after all the horror stories. I am happy to report that all is well.

Here's the truck with my stone.

This is the corner piece that I was so concerned about because it had to be cut JUST SO.

It's a shame that tomorrow it will be covered up because the cabinet that holds the Advantium will sit on top of all this beautiful stone. But there was no other way. Here is the corner, installed. The cabinet will be set back 3 or 4 inches, so at least the beautiful jogs will still be seen.

Neither the floor nor the cabinets were exactly level, so it took Jay and his assistant lots of time to make sure the counter was level. My biggest angst was where to drill the hole for the filter faucet...but there it is. Jay drilled and set the faucets in to see how they look but they won't be permanently installed till tomorrow. Then I'll be able to clean up the sink. I have a can of Barkeeper's Friend. The dark spots on the counter are where I wiped it down with water to get some of the dust off and it hadn't quite dried.

Here is the island piece on the truck.

and here it is installed. I LOVE this island piece!

My favorite part, exactly where I wanted it!

Interestingly, this piece has some gold flecks in it that you can see when the light is just right.

"SO," you are probably saying to yourselves, "what's the deal here? Why doesn't she oil it?" BECAUSE she likes it this way. Jay was shaking his head - he wanted to oil it and I said NO. Shook his head and said I was making a mistake -- but hey, he said, it's YOUR kitchen. Right. There is no question it looks different when it is oiled - I have seen all of your pix. It even looks different with just water on it. Jay warned me that it will get blotchy and anyway, will darken on its own. I just wasn't emotionally ready. And when Marty (aka DH) walked in tonight and saw the stone, he declared "I LOVE IT! Don't oil it." My goodness - he had the same response as I did. So, it stays, for now, a greenish,bluish,grayish, light color. When Jay comes back next week to put in the vanity top (the vanity came in wrong size and we don't have it yet), he will be disappointed. I suspect that eventually, I may put a coat of that nice oil he left me with - but not yet. I can't explain it.

I asked Marty if he was prepared to love it - and he said no. He said he thought it would be nice, but didn't expect to have that visceral reaction. He's really happy and so am I.

BTW - Jay told me that Green Mountain Original comes from a quarry in the Santa Rita area, so it is really similar to M.Teixeira's Santa Rita Venata. Many of the stones from different vendors come from the same place but they give them different names for marketing purposes. Live and learn.

Comments (26)

• User
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congratulations! Your stone is beautiful!

I put a couple coats of min.oil/beeswax on mine when I first got it, then let it fade back to grey. I love that look!

Just this past weekend oiled it up again for a change. It doesn't go back to the very light grey color after initial oiling, but mine was pretty close. Just another great aspect of soapstone - the option of having different finishes for different looks/moods. Enjoy!

• theresab1
    16 years ago

wow that is gorgeous- as I was reading your post I was thinking I would never oil that- and sounds like you feel that way too! enjoy.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Lovely! I wouldn't oil it either ;)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Beautiful stone, lady!!!!

• marthavila
    16 years ago

Oh what a fantastic story! And what a super fantastic stone and stoning job! LOL! I am sooo happy for you, Rayna. I know how long you have waited for this day and how the anxiety of it all started building as you got closer to installation. And, now your stone is in the house and it's lovely. Go right ahead and exhale, ooh and aah, and be the proud stoner mom you deserve to be!

Now I have reason to become even more impatient about getting my remodel to the point where it's time for Jay to come on over to my kitchen! (Sigh) :)

• azstoneconsulting
    16 years ago

Welcome to the Realm of "Stoner-Dom"... HA!!!

your tops look pretty nice, BUT...

I suspect you will find yourself oiling them soon enough
    as the normal oils from cooking and such will accumulate
    and eventually, the oiling will bring everything "together"

nice job!!!

kevin

Kevin M. Padden
    Fabricator, Trainer & Consultant to the Natural Stone Industry
    www.azschoolofrock.com
    www.naturalstone101.com

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Celeste, I told Jay I was going to talk to you and he laughed and said "what has it been, two years now??" But with the AGA in, it sounds as though you are on your way. You are, aren't you??? I mean, it's the centerpiece - so the rest will just fall into place. I am sighing with you. Keep us posted.

• User
    16 years ago

Rayna it looks beautiful. I have the inclusions too. I love your kitchen. c

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Caroline. And the Caldera cooktop is sitting in its hole - hopefully to be connected tomorrow.

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

Wow! Looks wonderful, and I think I would do the same and leave it (for now, anyway) unoiled.

Fantastic and such fun to see it coming together. Nicely done!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Congrats! I would just sit back and enjoy the beautiful stone as well.

• tetrazzini
    16 years ago

Congratulations!! I love that you appreciate it so much!! And how nice that your husband does too! It's such a hard decision to make, I'm glad you're so happy with it. And whether or not you want to oil it, follow your instincts.

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Wow! What an island!! Wowie wow wow!!!

I didn't oil mine for a few days because I wanted to enjoy the gray color.

Congratulations!!

Francy

• holligator
    16 years ago

Gorgeous!! What beautiful slabs you have!! My husband had the same unexpected reaction as yours. He had no idea he would love it so.

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Very cool - thanks for the installation pics! I was at work during that phase of mine so its cool to see em in action working on stuff. Nice Rock!

• blackeyedpeas
    16 years ago

Very beautiful, I love all the busy parts with all the heavy veins or inclusions or whatever they are called. Congratulations you stoner you!
    I support your decision to not oil however I could never go without oiling. The curiosity would kill me, so much of the beauty doesn't even present itself until after you oil. I compare it to being pregnant and not finding out what the gender of the baby is, my BF did this with her 3rd and I went nuts until she had him. I know, I can be a tad impatient...
    Anyway, Good luck & have fun with(not on) that gorgeous rock.

• deegw
    16 years ago

It's beautiful! I have to admit as I was scrolling down the pics I was chanting in my head "oil it, oil it!". Then I read that you weren't going to oil it at all. As blackeyedpeas said, "the curiosity would kill me". But, guess what? It ain't my kitchen! And it's still beautiful.

• minnt
    16 years ago

Oh my! That is nice! I love the veins. Wow, wow, wow!

• rgillman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I suspect I will oil it at least once; I should try it on the piece that won't be visible when the cabinet goes in today.

Blackeyedpeas - knowing the gender of the baby before it's born is like knowing what your birthday gift is ahead of time. Ruins the surprise, which is almost the best part, IMO! Neither of my kids wanted to know in advance (and in "my day" it was not possible to know), and I suspect my next daughter will want a surprise package, too.

So...I'll get there eventually. Thanks, everyone.

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

Gorgeous stone!! As a marble person, I LOVE the veining in your stone - my instinct was to want to reach out, lay my hands on it and move them around - you're going to want to live in that kitchen!

• chipshot
    16 years ago

Veining in stone the equivalent of marbling in meat?

• donna214
    16 years ago

Your soapstone is to die for. Oh, I am so excited to pick out soapstone and I hope to find slabs as beautiful as yours.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

REALLY wonderful. I don't blame you for being sad about the Adv. cabinet covering that corner, the veining is so great there, as it is throughout. The island inclusions really take one's breath away. Congratulations.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    16 years ago

Lovely. As I was looking at the pics I was saying to myself "love it unoiled". Wonder how long you can keep it that way. Of course I love them once they are oiled too, but it must be like an extra treat-two counters in one. Can't wait to see more pics.

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

Really gorgeous stone. Me, I'm an oiler and couldn't wait to slap it on (I do it for fun now - when I read a thread like this, I always seem to get the urge!), but I can definitely understand your wanting to live with it for a bit. The veins are absolutely beautiful. Enjoy and welcome to the club!

• Kim
    5 years ago

Any pix of finished kitchen as we’re getting ready to do this same style?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County