Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sk13_gw

Fodder for Layout Junkies

sk13
10 years ago

All kidding aside, we need your help!
We had a flood in our 1985 all-original kitchen, and as a result are being thrown headlong into a total kitchen remodel. The original plan was to wait about 5 more years, but now that the opportunity has opened up, we are warming up to it and have been brainstorming new layouts. Yikes! This isn't easy!

We are looking for good overall flow and a kitchen that can accommodate two cooks occasionally. We are empty nesters that entertain large groups six or eight times a year. Because we live in a warm climate, most of our entertainment is indoor/outdoor, year 'round. This is a family sized house with a large patio and backyard, and we are trying to stay true to that without going crazy on the number of cabinets and overall size of the kitchen.

We currently have access to the backyard through the large slider and the laundry room. The family enters the house through the laundry room, guests through the front door.

The layout below is one we are considering.It involves opening up the wall to the family/living area, replacing a window with a door, and creating a more enclosed dining room. Do we want a formal dining room? Not necessarily...but we do like the idea of not spreading the kitchen across 18 feet of space. Retaining an "eat in " area is appealing too.You'll note that ours is a house where traffic flow is through the rooms, so good flow is important. Also note that our house lends itself to that "bowling alley" feel due to the long, narrow rooms.

The link will give info on the current layout and overall house layout.

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81/sk136/existinglayout_zpsb0d79426.jpg

Thanks!....so happy you junkies are out there! Please tell us what you think!

Comments (13)

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Not sure why, but when I try to go to the above link, it takes me here.
    I think we need many more measurements:

- what is the total length of the back wall of the kitchen, including the storage against the laundry room wall?
    - what is the width of the existing window on the back wall, how far over from corner
    - what is the length from the back wall to the laundry room doorway
    -how wide is the laundry doorway
    -what is the length of the wall from the end of the laundry doorway to the living room wall
    -how wide is the back of the fireplace
    -how far does the hearth extend on the left and right of the fireplace

Would you be interested in a powder room (entry of course in the laundry room?

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

And what is the area marked "storage" between kitchen and LR? Are those pantry cabinets for the kitchen or some other storage?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Here is the floor plan.

• sk13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Let me try to fill in some of the blanks:

- the length of the laundry room wall to doorway is 7'3"
    - the window in the SW corner is 23" off of floor, 4' wide and 60" tall
    -our ceiling height is 8'
    -the window we are proposing as a door is 4 feet wide and 6" off the counter (it's over the existing sink)
    -the "storage" would be floor to ceiling, 12" deep
    -wall space from laundry room door to living room wall is
    39"
    -the back of the fireplace is 8' (really, that's the "front" of the fireplace. the bump you see at the back of the house is just that, a bump out in the wall, 51")
    -we have a 1/2 bath in our laundry room already...calling it a powder room would be a stretch!...but for now, it will have to do!

One more thing that matters: We are on a foundation, so moving plumbing is not such a big expense.
    Hope that fills the plan out a bit better.
    THANK YOU for your interest!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I think you meant to say you are on a basement? Glad you are already thinking moving stuff is not a big deal. Sometimes people get very hung up on refusing to move the sink, etc.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I hate to be such a nag, but

- what else was on the back window wall besides the sink?
    - is it @14'2" from the left corner of the DR to right frame of the sliders? (5'9"+8'5"=14'2")
    (It's great your sliders are 8'5". That's big--mine measure 6'6")

• Lutha
    10 years ago

I like the fact that the bump out behind your fireplace is being incorporated into the new design. I also like that the kitchen still has the eat in area and that the view from the living room will be cute...the bistro table.

What might bother me is the sink looking at a wall.

• sk13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Canuckplayer, I'm going to try to post a few more diagrams. Really appreciate your persistence!
    Here's one with the existing layout. The measurement between the slider and existing kitchen wall is 5'6".
    We've already removed the low cabinet and much of the pantry, save a few important studs.
    And yes, your 14'2" dimension is right on.

• sk13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see your point about staring into a wall when at the sink....If we were to put the sink on the island rather than the perimeter we would want the island as deep as possible...48" being ideal. How deep could we go without impeding flow?

This post was edited by sk13 on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 22:20

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I think I have all the dimensions now. Sorry to be such a PITA.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Here is a possible layout for you. It will mean eliminating the window that was above the sink and changing the SW window to a walk-out. I left the DR as eat-in for the kitchen, but also added 2 stools at the island. I tried to keep it so you didn't have to travel the whole kitchen width, so the "galley" set-up kept your work triangle.
    The island has
    - cookbook shelf (far left facing the table)
    - 18" 4-drawer base
    - 24" DW
    - 36" sink cabinet with 30" sink
    - 18" trash pull-out
    - 42"L seating area/2 stools
    I don't know why, but the Ikea planner wouldn't let me show a sink or a cooktop, but the sink goes in that empty hole in the island and of course, the cooktop goes below the hood.
    I didn't show the "bump-out", and widened the openings from the LR to the kitchen and the eat-in area.
    The cabinets at the bottom (which would be beside the bump-out) could be a beverage center, with only lower cabinets so above is open to the LR.

Your @38' wide LR, should be wide enough to put a dining table in there if you feel you need another.

This post was edited by canuckplayer on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 23:49

• sk13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Canuckplayer, you came up with some ideas we hadn't even considered! Thanks for a fresh look at the layout. It works nicely in the space that we have.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

You're welcome. Be sure to let us know what you finally decide for a floor plan.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz