Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmiriam

Two level island - no seating?

rmiriam
11 years ago

I am starting to think the layout that will work best for my space is an open one with the sink int he island. I would prefer not to have my sink on display from the dining room during dinner parties. So I was thinking of having a 12" section of the island be about 6" higher than the main section, with glass-front cabinets facing the DR. Something like this, but in island form. Can anyone weigh in on the pros and cons? And does anyone have any other pictures of something similar? My searches on Houzz weren't very successful.

Modern Kitchen design by San Francisco Architect Koch Architects, Inc. Joanne Koch

Comments (7)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

I think it works better as the back of a peninsula-seems counterintuitive to do it on the "back" of an island. Maybe think about your options a bit more.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I've never seen that before either, but why not? Interesting; I'll also have to look for more pics. . I currently have a peninsula with a sink that faces my family room. It has a raised back that's only about 6 inches wide and little room to make it wider and not enough for seating because it would block the FR walkway. I was thinking of dropping the bar height piece to one level counter height, but I have the same worry about any cooking in progress or kitchen mess being visible from the FR. Then I remembered even if I didn't mind I wouldn't have enough room behind the sink. Maybe I could dress up the back of my peninsula that way if I don't change my layout. Please post more pictures if you find them and I'll do the same.
    How long of an island were you planning; why not a peninsula? What is your current layout?

• olivesmom
    11 years ago

I only have one photo without seating, but I don't think it would look strange to do without and put in shelves or something. If we end up going the open kitchen route I will probably look for a similar solution.

Hee are some of the photos I've saved over the past year or two. Apologies if any of them belong to fellow GW'ers.

This one does belong to a GW'er, cannot recall her name. Hope she don't mind me posting them. I really like the raised dishwasher and how that automatically gives you the second level.

• rmiriam
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island, I will definitely post more photos if I come across them. And Olivesmom, thanks for all the pics! I know that it would be more "normal" with a penninsula, I'm just not sure I have enough width for a u-shape, which is what a penninsula would end up being. I'm going to post my layout options soon for feedback.

My current layout is just not workable for a modern kitchen. The house was built in 1949, and has the original kitchen. One wall has a window and door that preclude any cabinets (that will be changed!), and there's not room for a standard size refrigerator, much less a dishwasher. It's not unbearable, but also not worth using it as a guide for a new layout.

• robo (z6a)
    11 years ago

I like the look, more like in the photo you posted (with the raised section going all the way across) or the last photo Olivesmom posted as opposed to the first photo Olivesmom posted with only a small raised section.

Many will say you would appreciate the increased work space/depth of a single level island better for prep. I'm still not 100% sold on the 100% openness of kitchens for everyone. As island desribed, you could also consider 30" of lower space and only 6" deep higher space. Your glass cabs would be 12" deep most of the way but only 6" at the top.

You may have more luck getting visual inspiration searching for the words "pony wall" or "half wall" although it will turn up peninsula, not island photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz - pony wall

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 12:06

• eleena
    11 years ago

I don't see why you can't have the best of two worlds.

Are you going to use the cabinets on the dining room side of the island (on the first picture) frequently?

If not, you can add an overhang to make room for seating and still keep the cabinets.

Not that I am a huge fan of raised bar seating in the kitchen but if you wanted it, you can have it, I think. I have seen plenty of pix with such design, just cannot remember where. :-)

ETA: That GW kitchen belongs to ICFgreen, btw.

This post was edited by eleena on Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 12:49

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Thought of you when I saw this kitchen in a magazine. BiLevel island. Has seating, but I think it's so pretty it would work without.
    Couldn't get the pic to copy, but the link has a few pics and they show both sides of the island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bilevel island