Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dermnp_gw

Hardware color on white cabinets

dermnp
11 years ago

We are going with gallo ornamental granite, antique white travertine backsplash and off white cabinets. The sink will be the Blanco Diamond in Biscuit and the floor is a toffee maple. Struggling with what color to go with for hardware and faucet. My first instinct was the oil rubbed bronze but my kitchen designer says it is too dark. Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• Tim
    11 years ago

We did a stainless sink in marble counters, a stainless Kohler faucet (stainless, not finished to look like stainless) and the knobs/pulls are all a brushed silver color. They were actually just cheapy Amerock pieces I got at Home Depot.

Now, depending on the rest of your decor and taste, something closer to solid black (I'm not a fan of oil rubbed bronze - I prefer a cast iron look) would work. You could also do a stainless faucet and crystal knobs on the cabinets.

There's no wrong answer - just buy what you love and ignore the advice of a kitchen designer.

• dermnp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TorontoTim, what a beautiful kitchen. I love the symmetry of the cabinets around your range, so soothing and flowing. Looks like you have marble for counters and backsplash, so gorgeous! We have nickel on our current cabinets and I know it sounds silly but I was hoping to not do the same, but in the end if that is what looks good. I do like the cast iron look too. I never thought of glass, that is different, need to check that out.

• Spottythecat
    11 years ago

Maybe an antique pewter... Not shiny, not dark and a little bit of character...
    So many decisions!!!
    Good luck in your project...it sounds beautiful!
    Pam

• kgolby
    11 years ago

This is the hardware I'm going with in my ivory kitchen. I like it because its not a dark ORB finish. Kind of has a patina already with the bronze showing through. May be an alternative if you can find hardware in the style you like with a similar finish. Faucet is chrome.

This post was edited by kgolby on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 22:27

• marioncohen1
    11 years ago

Toronto Tim, I would like to do the cararra marble backsplash. Does that require sealing it every few months like the counters do?
    Sam

• marioncohen1
    11 years ago

Toronto Tim, I would like to do the cararra marble backsplash. Does that require sealing it every few months like the counters do?
    Sam

• dermnp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kgolby, I love that finish and the style too. Can you give me more specifics on it? Also, glad you wrote what your faucet is because I wasn't sure if they need to match or be similar.

• Tim
    11 years ago

You don't need to seal counters every few months. Once a year is plenty I've found. I use Dupont Bulletproof and have no stains on our counters 3 years in. Etching yes, and some chips, all of which is fine with me. But no stains.

• chloe.chloe
    11 years ago

TorontoTim: I love your kitchen! Are your cabinets 42 inches? I love the look of the glass at the top..... It gives the appearance of the stacked cabinet! Could you tell me what exactly is the door you used or how could I describe that style to the builder we are going through so I can get the same look! Thank you!!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

My MIL used glass knobs on her white cabinets. It's a good look.

• wi-sailorgirl
    11 years ago

Here's an article on some thoughts on various hardware finishes for white cabinets.

I think the beauty of white cabinets is that you can do whatever you want for hardware. When we bought our house there were shiny brass knobs in the white kitchen. We changed them to brushed nickel and now when we redo the kitchen (again, white) we're going with polished nickel and glass (stainless faucets in all versions other than the original which I think was cheap plastic white).

So the article will give you a little insight into what each color will do for your kitchen, but in the end you should definitely go with what you love.

Here is a link that might be useful: What color hardware with white cabinets

• Bunny
    11 years ago

My cabs are the same color as TorontoTim's and I have antique pewter hardware. They have a little more dimension and work well with anything in the stainless to black range.

• marioncohen1
    11 years ago

Toronto Tim, please tell me about caring for the marble backsplash. I would like to do it but worried. Thanks
    Sam