Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejbrymom

What would YOU do to this kitchen?

ejbrymom
14 years ago

Only rules are: appliances stay, bottom cabinets stay and granite stays. Island needs to stay similar size to reuse granite.

What would you do?

We have the opportunity to do a little more remodel to the kitchen than just painting the cabinets.

/>kitchenpic1

Comments (11)

• ejbrymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

/>frig

/>walkingintokitchen

/>familyroom

/>walkingindoor

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would probably enclose the fridge in a side panel and put a 24" deep cabinet over it, pulled toward the front to make the fridge fit in a little bit better. The cabinet up there now seems rather useless.

I would also probably fill in the space above the cabinets with drywall.

If you wanted to try a two-tone, you could keep the base cabinets the current color and paint the uppers to match the rest of the trim or another color. There would be nothing the matter with leaving them as is, they work well with the current floors and the granite.

If you don't have undercabinet lighting I would add it. The current kitchen lighting seems a little strangely placed and inadequate.

• donho
    14 years ago

Maybe remove the short wall by the dishwasher and replace it with panels on the side of the upper cab and the dishwasher if necessary. It looks out of place and I, at least, would prefer to see into that area of the kitchen.

• jakkom
    14 years ago

If this was my forever home, I'd indulge in a real range hood and a rework of that island, making it bigger with perhaps a nice half-round on the DR side to put a few bar chairs around without too much intrusion into the traffic path. This would be an opportunity to stain the cabs a more interesting color, and add more interesting pulls or handles.

I'd reuse the island granite as a new DR table top, and use a different material as a contrasting countertop on the island.

Love palimpsest's suggestions on the refrig enclosure/full depth upper cab and the lighting, too.

Of course, if my original kitchen had looked like yours, I'd have been dancing in the streets with joy, LOL. Mine was not only hideous, it was unworkable.

However, if this ISN'T my forever house, I'd do as little as possible. Remodeling in this market should only be done when necessary, and at the least possible cost. Anything else is a money-loser.

• three_daisies
    14 years ago

What above poster said: remove wall by dishwasher;

Build new island (if possible) and put MW in island (if you can spare losing/replacing the OTR micro);

New vent hood;

Paint all cabinets -I've seen lately in kitchen mags grey and shades of taupe as beautiful cabinet paint colors, maybe it's the "new white?" Even black painted cabinets would be striking with your wood floors.

Add more recessed lighting - don't add any pendant lighting to compete with light over table;

Add undercabinet lighting if possible;

Have cabinet/wall built in around fridge to make it seem more built-in. Right now it seems like an afterthought.

Add a jazzy backsplash!

It's a great kitchen - wish I'd had such a nice kitchen to start out with!!

• formerlyflorantha
    14 years ago

I would add color. That curtain over the sink is too understated a greeting as I enter the kitchen from the hall opposite it. I need to be welcomed and energized while I cook. I'd repeat the color in the shades on that light fixture.

Can the upper cupboards be reworked to add exciting display space at top or in one of the cupboards so it is seen from the next room? Can the items on display echo the color also?

• suzettew
    14 years ago

The previous posters made some excellent suggestions -- my only additional comments would be on color and style.

Style:

What do do with a kitchen largely depends on three things: style, budget and dimensions. Of the three, style is the easiest to change. ;-)

So what is your style? Traditional? Contemporary? Country? Transitional?

What you have here is a traditional styled kitchen, and if you want to keep it that way, then you're already half-way there.

Color:

The cabinet color conflicts with the floor color. Too same-same, almost-matchy/almost-matchy.

The floor is beautiful, so I'd definitely change the color of the cabinets.

The color you choose will depend on the style that you're going after.

For example, white could be country or traditional. Green or teal could be transitional or country. Blue could be country. Darker wood or espresso or black could be traditional or contemporary (or in rarer cases, could also be country).

If you're doing country or transitional, it will be easier to change the cabinet color, because you could see if you could get away with leaving the frames the same color, and only paint/stain the faces (doors and drawer fronts) as well as the sides of the island and fridge-enclosure if you decide to enclose the fridge.

Also, IMHO the pale green wall paint doesn't go with the ochre/mustard granite valance.

Just my two cents.

• theresse
    14 years ago

The main thing I noticed is I'd want the cupboards to go all the way to the ceiling, either by having taller cabinets or by adding those short kinds on top. Maybe the drywall idea too but just not that open space. And I'd enclose the fridge too - maybe even on the left side of it too - not just make the upper cabinet less awkward looking...and I'd make that one go up to the ceiling too.
    :)

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Well, it is a very nice kitchen to start with. :) Not sure what style you are looking for, but, if it were MY kitchen here is what I would do. :)

I would take the crown molding off, add a row of short, glass-front cabinets above the existing cabinets and reinstalling the crown at the top of the new cabinets at the ceiling. I'd have a new piece of molding installed between the old and new.

I'd also enclose the refrigerator in with panels and cabinetry to make it look more built-in and to add additional storage.

I'd install a new microwave in the island and add a new vent hood over the range.

I'd add some trim, molding or paneling to the island to add some detail.

Then, I'd have all of the cabinetry professionally painted a creamy off-white or pale taupe.

I'd remove the short granite backsplash and have a full tile backsplash installed from the counter to the bottom of the cabinets.

I'd trim out the window with some nice casing and remove all of the window coverings and replace with a very simple, tailored valance with a pop of color.

I'd add undercounter lighting.

• ejbrymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wonderful ideas that are definitely in line with our thinking!
    I am leaning more towards - farmhouse kitchen - classic. so white, white glazed or taupe cabinets would fit right in.
    Keep the ideas coming!

Would you remove the pantry closet to add more cabinetry?

• ejbrymom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Another idea we had is to completely remove chandelier - it is froofy install recessed there instead and install some sort of pendant light over the island. Something elegant and rustic at the same time. This way your eye doesn't get stopped when it looks into the kitchen and doesn't get stopped when it looks into the family room.
    Also we would be able to see the pendant lighting from when you first walk in the house.
    That was my Mother In Laws idea - I agree with her.

It looks like it is going to be our forever home or atleast something we live in for a REALLY REALLY long time. We LOVE our neighbors/neighborhood, schools are excellent and love our lot/location. I wish the house was bigger but the other stuff is more important.