Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
35ftcabo

Backsplash Redux

KBH
11 years ago

Others courageously attacking their backsplash issues has inspired me to finally put this to rest.

This is a general kitchen view:

This is one option:

This is another option:

Same option with some background:

Second option, but with a line:

More up close (ignore the green tape, it's all I had):

Help. Which do you like, if any? I should also mention that I am strongly leaning toward a sheet of glass behind the range. I'm trying to avoid grout.

This post was edited by 35ftcabo on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 20:38

Comments (31)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

The simple glass would be my choice of your samples. You have a some what bust granite and the multi colored tile will compete.
    I am not a fan of the stripe going through the tile.

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

I like the simple glass best as well. Second place is the first tile and last is the line going through - too busy. I especially noticed this looking at it from farther away in the general view of the kitchen photo you posted.

Where did you get that simple glass? It's beautiful.

Would you put a color behind the sheet of glass put behind the stove? Just wondering your thoughts on that because they'd need to go together.

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All the mosaics - believe it or not, came from Lowe's. I was there for something else and walked through the tile aisle. For the range, I was wondering if I could do some sort of abstract painting behind the range, but wonder if it would be too busy with the mosaic. Maybe paint a lighter shade of the purple in the granite?

I just want this done. I am so sick of backsplash tile. This is the most painful part of this entire rebuild.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I like the simple tile. I prefer no stripe.

• smiling
    11 years ago

I also vote for the simpler glass, it seems to go so beautifully with the silver colors in your granite.

When I saw the strong black/white horizontals in the fireplace and TV in the adjoining room, I thought the black line in the backsplash would be too much. Just MHO, it may look very different in real life.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Another vote for the beautiful monochrome tile. Looks like crystal and no, No NO to the black racing stripe!!! Your kitchen is so rich looking and that bold horizontal stripe will cheapen it. IMO. I'd let the cabinets be the black standout. Can't wait to see more.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Glass/crystal! I saw those and loved them in the store, but my granite is too black/taupe/brown and not cool enough. Yours is perfect for it! The cooler undertones make the glass blend in and the sparkles are interesting but not too much. I love it!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I vote #2. Using a color from the granite behind the glass will look nice and dramatic with the backsplash & cabinets. What granite is that ? very pretty.

• plumberry
    11 years ago

no line. it will draw your eye right to it. Your kitchen is beautiful.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Another vote for simple glass - it's lovely. I don't like the stripe at all, but I'm generally a no feature strip kind of person.

I would go for it - it works perfectly, you made a great pick!

• maggieq
    11 years ago

Another vote for the plain glass, no border. How about a stainless panel behind the stove?

• chinchette
    11 years ago

The simple glass!

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone for your opinions. It seems like the clear majority is for the plain glass, which I do love. My husband is a fan of the racing stripe, so he's just going to have to deal. I'll have to throw in a massage or something. :)
    I have considered stainless behind the range, but I have such a hard time keeping the stainless I do have clean, I'm afraid of adding more.
    The granite is River White. Very happy with its performance.

• amykath
    11 years ago

I agree that the simple glass is the best.

You have a beautiful kitchen! Love your stone and your huge range!

Amy

• crl_
    11 years ago

Just agreeing with everyone else--simple glass, no stripe. Beautiful kitchen!

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind words. I went back and forth on the black and even now still swoon over a lovely white kitchen. But I had white for 15 years, so it was time for a change...
    This is truly the most helpful house site anywhere.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Another vote for the simple tile. You have such a beautiful kitchen!

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the kind words. It wouldn't be as pretty without the help I've gotten from everyone here. I can't imagine a kitchen reno without the help and guidance of GW. I've learned so much - it's such a great resource.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

So exciting - soon to have another ABB alumni member!
    I like the simple glass with your counter - With your darker cabinets - you don't want to go to dark. I say no to the racing stripe also (I have an accent stripe and love mine but too much in your kitchen)

The only other thing I was thinking about was a light gray glass tile. I found this one - which I think is about the right shade but don't think i would like the mosaic pattern.

I agree - GW was so helpful with my kitchen (and at times very blunt and honest which I appreciated)

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I do like that, but I think what I most like about the plain I found was that it's plain, but still interesting because of the alternating glass styles - plain, frosted and crackled.
    Can't wait to be an ABB alumni. I'm over this.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Go for it!
    I did try to find a gray mosaic with stone but didn't like what I found.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Is it in fact unanimous? I also prefer the simple glass tile> the first one is beautiful, but with the overall shot of your kitchen it would be far too busy. The stripe I don't like at all. The glass tiles are very pretty and will add subtle sparkle.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Already cast my vote for the clear glass and the more I look at it the more I love it. Can you please tell me who makes it and what the style #, color, etc is? Thanks.
    Love the black cabs and cant wait to see your final reveal and hopefully soon! :>)

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Below is a close up in case you need it. It's from Lowe's and it's GBI Tile & Stone. The model # on the back is GL05X2SWGEM and the item # is 0282570.

Thanks for the kind words - yes, hopefully all done soon. Can't wait.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Ooh la la love the little bits of sparkle! Thanks for the info. What color or type of grout would you use with this?

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, no, not another decision! White, I would guess? Or maybe a really light gray?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

HA, didn't mean to add any more stress!
    I just wanted to know if you decided so I could write it down for future reference so I wouldn't have to decide if I went that route. How self serving of me! :>)
    I really love the look of that tile and want to see it in person.
    But back to YOUR kitchen; I was thinking whatever grout is closest to the color of the tile would be nice so only the tile and sparkle standout.

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL. Agree. I have to call the tile guy this week and get an appointment. When I figure it out, I'll make sure I put that info in the final reveal.

• Homeblessings
    11 years ago

35ftcabo, has your backsplash been installed yet? This is a dumb question, but is there a reason it can't be installed behind the stove? I really didn't understand that part of the discussion. Please post pictures when it's done. I really want to see what it looks like grouted.

This question is for anyone, would the simple tile above fit well with a cottage, farmhouse type kitchen, or is it too modern?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Homeblessings IMO the clear mosaic Cabo used is too modern for a cottage or farmhous kitchen,Will be interesting to see how it looks when Cabo finishes hers.

• KBH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Homeblessings - no, not yet. Our tile guy is very in demand and I have to wait 4 weeks. :(( There is no real reason it can't be put behind the range, only my pathological fear of cleaning grout stops me. I wanted a clear sheet of glass behind, but what we are going to do is stainless about 3/4 up to the shelf height, then the backsplash mosaic from shelf height to the hood.