Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socom

Help me choose a quartzite for my island!!!

socom
10 years ago

Went to a slab yard today looking for quartzite and found White Macaubus, Calacatta Quartzite, and Sea Pearl. I had never considered Sea Pearl until I saw it today.

We are doing a white inset shaker kitchen. If I use the WM or CQ I thought about doing it on a gray island and doing a gray quartz countertop for the perimeter. For Sea Pearl I think I'd keep it on a white island and don't know what stone to use for the perimeter countertops. Maybe Sea Pearl all around? Here are the pictures for the slab? My island will be 9' X 6' so almost the entire slab will be used. Any thoughts or recomendations? This is so hard...

Sorry the pictures are not straight on. I felt bad asking them to move each one since I didn't know for sure which one I wanted.

Comments (18)

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sea Pearl...

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sea Pearl...

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

White Macaubas

• Kitchen_ Reno
    10 years ago

they're all gorgeous! where are you located? I want to come buy whatever you don't :-) I have been looking at countertop stone for 3+ months and still can't decide. My cabinets are almost all in (also white, inset, shaker style) so the fact that I haven't decided is rather ridiculous!

Personally I like the Sea Pearl and Calacutta better than the Macaubus, but I don't think you can go wrong.

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kitchen-Reno: I'm located in Southern CA. Where are you located? I can provide you the info where I found these slabs if you'd like.

They are all beautiful. Have you seen any pictures of white cabinetry with any of these quartzites?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

If I could afford it, I would do the whole kitchen in Sea Pearl. It is exquisite.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I can see why this is a hard decision. The movement in the Sea Pearl is beautiful. But I also like the whiter background of the Calacatta. If you've chosen your white cabinet, bring a sample door & have them pull those slabs out & look at them in good lighting. I agree with Linelle, do your perimeters & island in one of these stones.
    If you don't have one tagged, do it first thing tomorrow morning. They won't be available for long. They are both gorgeous.

• Kitchen_ Reno
    10 years ago

unfortunately I'm in MA! Looking again at the pics, I'd go with the Sea Pearl. It's my favorite of those slabs, but I agree with bringing a sample cabinet and confirming which you like best with that!

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We just signed the contract with our cabinet maker this past weekend so I don't even have a sample door yet. I'd love to do the whole kitchen in one of these quartzites but it's going to be way over budget for us. My island is 54 sq ft and the perimeter is about 85 sq ft. Any other ideas to incorporate one of these quartzites with another affordable stone?

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

that sea pearl is exquisite. I'd want it everywhere but at least on island. Or, reverse, and use butcher block on island

too tired to look up prices of S P vss BB vs quartz

• cani
    10 years ago

I'm in Southern California and I have seen the sea pearl slabs which are gorgeous. I have also seen the white macauba with the horizontal lines. I have not found as beautiful a stone as the first picture which looks like a cross cut macauba? Please tell me where you found these slabs. Can't wait to hear which one you choose.

• nancyj
    10 years ago

I'm also in So Cal and would love to know where you found these beautiful slabs. I'm still a month or two out from seriously looking but did some exploratory shopping last summer and didnt find anything nearly as beautiful as the slabs you found.

Is the Calacatta Q truly a quartzite (doesn't etch)? I'm not familiar with that stone at all. In any event, you really cannot go wrong with any of those beauties, I think they would all look gorgeous in the kitchen you describe.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

Since it's an island, it would be fun to do the one with the most movement in it as islands often are the focal point. They are all pretty, you can't go wrong : )

• ssdarb
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful. The straight lines of the WM are probably considered more of a modern look. That might make a difference to you. Also, in some pictures on Houzz I didn't like the straight lines on some of the perimeter counter tops I saw. Mine is only on the island and I have the straight lines and I like it. But if you're planning on using 1 stone everywhere you might want to look at some pictures before choosing the WM.

If you don't want your kitchen to appear so modern the swirls and movement of the other 2 are probably best. I really love that sea pearl picture. The sea pearl I saw locally was very green, but the picture you posted doesn't look green. How does it look in person? If the warehouse is sort of dark you might want to ask them to move it over near the large loading doors so you can see it in some natural light.

I think they are all very nice and whatever you choose will be beautiful.

• kaysd
    10 years ago

They are all gorgeous stones (I considered all 3 of those for our kitchen), but with white shaker cabinets the Sea Pearl would be my first choice. I would want to use the SP everywhere, but if quartz is better for the budget (it might not be by much) a gray quartz would look nice with both the SP and the white cabinets.

For those of you looking for quartzite in SoCal, I found my White Macaubas at Amazon Stones (they had the lowest price per square foot, as well as slabs I liked). The following also had good selections of quartzite: Tutto Marmo, Brazilian Exotic Granite, Arizona Tile, Tosca, Granix.

• Kooops
    10 years ago

I think a gray would still go with the sea pearl, which is my favorite of the 3.

Good luck.

• nancyj
    10 years ago

"For those of you looking for quartzite in SoCal, I found my White Macaubas at Amazon Stones (they had the lowest price per square foot, as well as slabs I liked). The following also had good selections of quartzite: Tutto Marmo, Brazilian Exotic Granite, Arizona Tile, Tosca, Granix."

Thanks so much for this info kaysd. I'm in LA but would willingly travel south if necessary to find a slab similar to yours, I remember your kitchen and it's stunning!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Lovely stones, tough choices. I really like how peaceful the WM looks :) . I'm doing White River granite because my husband wants granite, but honestly I'd prefer less movement. I guess it depends on what you want as the focal point of your kitchen.