Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crack in new Granite Installation

Posted by dantana (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 20:33

Had my granite installed yesterday. after the installers left, I discovered a crack running from the exact center of my sink corner to the back wall. it can be felt with my finger it is raised about 1/16". Installers said its a fissure and natural. although they are not found anywhere else. they said if it was a crack it would crack all the way thru. any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crack in new Granite Installation

post a pic?

o

Check level for both sides of the fissure.. Look carefully at the underside for repair trace. It would be impossible to grind and finish a top surface and retain a raised line. Ask for a quality control customer service rep to schedule a visit. Retain any unpaid balance and put a hold on any check which hasn't cleared.

o

pictures will help me see.
I am not an expert but I can give an opinion.
~boxer

o

I, too, have a crack in my granite on the front-side of the sink to the front-edge of the granite. They epoxied it and grinded it onsite, but i can feel it and see it if i look closely enough. They made the the 'mistake' of telling me before they repaired it (per the stoneshop owner), so they knocked off $300 from my total cost.

An important question to ask is whether or not they reinforced the granite with steel rods in the front and the rear of the sink opening. That will give you a better indication of whether or not the crack could worsen over time or if another area could crack. Also, be sure to have them epoxy it. The glue will keep that seam together long after the rest of the countertop has crumbled ;).

One bit of advice my granite guy gave me is that if i ever chip it and can find the chip, superglue it back in and it'll hold without issue. Now finding the chip when you do it is the magic part.

o

An "inclusion" ia one thing. You can see it and is a natural part of granite. A crack, which is typically in the thinnest area....like on the front of the sink is NOT!

If you can "feel" it, it needs to be fixed.....there should be NO vertical cracks in your project. Either have them "Fix" it. (althought I don't know HOW) or have them replace it. YOUR money~YOUR job!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here