Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banquette Bench is In!! Which Fabric do you like?

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 20:32

Our bench is in! They are going to add some applied moldings to the bottom so it goes with our built ins. Also, we need a new table so ignore that.

Do you like any of these fabrics with our kitchen? I have a couple I like... I'll post a link to finished kitchen at the bottom.

DSC00751 photo file_zps42fc324f.jpg

DSC00790 photo file_zps7a75894b.jpg

IMG_2109 photo file_zpse83bb86f.jpg

IMG_2107 photo file_zps30024240.jpg

DSC00932 photo file_zps84939844.jpg

DSC00933 photo file_zpsfb47ee08.jpg

DSC00942 photo file_zps1ac4a54b.jpg

DSC00943 photo file_zpsadb430fe.jpg

DSC00944 photo file_zps8bb9588a.jpg

DSC00945 photo file_zpsebabc480.jpg

DSC00946 photo file_zpsd8f99faa.jpg

DSC00949 photo file_zpsd52fd901.jpg

DSC00950 photo file_zps1b9bc5be.jpg

DSC00951 photo file_zps793a7ac6.jpg

DSC00952 photo file_zps9cb54f3e.jpg

DSC00953 photo file_zpsa777dad9.jpg

DSC00954 photo file_zps8a9f91dc.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: FISHIES FINISHED KITCHEN THREAD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banquette Bench is In!! Which Fabric do you like?

I would like to see a picture of them from across the room. I absolutely love the blue with the interlocking circles. My concern is that it will be too blue on that side of the room, and not enough yellow being brought over there.

I like the 2nd fabric from the left, it appears to bring in the yellow and the blue.

The bench is just gorgeous! Glad to see more progress!

Bee

o

3rd from the right is the one I like.

o

Thanks, Bee! I've looked at so many. Hard to find the right pattern and then the right colors in it! I had more yellow fabrics but most seemed "too much" on the blue wall. Even with the ones I showed above it's hard to see the real colors. Some have a bit of gold and/or brown which works with the walnut/floors.

I tend to like more modern/geometrical fabrics but don't know how it goes with the kitchen. I think I do have some things in the kitchen that give it a contemporary feel, like the pendants (shape), eased edge on the counters, and stainless. I like the interlocking circles- but not sure about seeing them along the 8' bench (maybe as an accent?). I really like the iKat fabrics I am seeing everywhere (4th one above) but somehow when I look at it and then over to the kitchen I don't think it works as well.

I ALSO like the 2nd fabric on the left. The colors work well and I think the style works well. Also, the 6th fabric is really beautiful. It's velvety and a beautiful blue.

o

PS- Also got rid of some fabrics that were too flimsy. The 2nd sample has a nice thick tapestry feel... Same with the iKat.

I can always bring some yellow in above the bench...

o

I think I like the first one best. It seems to have a nice balance of yellow and blue, and the blue seems a very complementary shade.
The banquette looks lovely. What kind of cushions are you doing? I assume you have a back cushions and seat cushions planned. Are you doing channel tufting on the back? Any cording, or buttons?

o

Definitely second one in on the left! Did you realize you posted two pics of it? Maybe that's a sign :-)

I love that blue with the circles, but I think it's too modern/clean for your beautiful kitchen.

o

LOVE the banquette! I've been collecting photos of examples for our future built-in, and I haven't seen that curve before. The edges will be comfortable for sliding in and out. Just curious: How deep is the seat now, and how deep will it be with the upholstery finished, measured front to back?

Do I understand you're doing an upholstered back? Also bench? Same fabric for both? I like the geometric circles, too, but it may need a yellow throw pillow or a piece of art on the wall to connect with the rest of the space. I think the higher contrast of the second from the left works better to add interest and bring in the yellow from the other side of the room. If you want it to fade/blend more with the blue wall, go with the sixth from the left (not my favorite; I like more pop in fabric). I'm not a fan of the iKat in your space -- it's an awesome pattern, but looks more tribal/eclectic than the rest of the space.

o

I like the second or third from the left. They both add some zip to the banquette. I love your banquette. What are its dimensions?

o

Second from the left. When I see them in a row, it's the only one I'm drawn to. I also like the one with interlocking circles, but it's too blue at one end of the kitchen.

o

Are you doing just the bench cushion or also some pillows.
Will you have cushion on the seat as well as back or only sat. It seemed like there is not enough depth to do a back cushion. It would be helpful to understand what the viewer would see.

I am just coming from the upholstery store selecting fabrcs for our window seat :) I recognize some of these!

I love your ikats especially the 4th one. But I am not sure about the heft of the fabric. It may be better for the back or pillows. If you are doing accent pillows, I really like the two stripes on the far right. They piuck up the color but seem to be fabrics that would wear well and blend in with the blue of the wall, the walnut of the counter and the table.

o

Either the first or second on the left. The one that leapt out at me right away was the second from the left - it's really similar to some samples I've been pulling, but I think it depends if you're looking for something leap out (2nd from left) or blend a bit more (1st on left).

Your kitchen is soooooooooo gorgeous. One of my very favorites.

o

The blue with the interlocking circles.Its the only one that strikes me as bright enough. The others look a little lost.
Then add a couple pillows with some of that blue color but mostly yellow to tie it together. I think you need something geometrical and not floral.
Such a fabulous kitchen by the way...I love the roundness of the bench. Thats why you need those circles.

o

Your space is beautiful!! I like the 2nd from right because it looks neutral, durable, easy to clean, and like it would hide dirt/stains well.

My second fave is the one on the far left. I dislike the ikat because it's really trendy right now and I think it will look dated soon.

o

Yes, the plan is to do cushions on the seat and the back. Not sure about pillows as they'll be in the way. Not sure of exact plan yet as the woman has to come to measure and discuss. I think I do want buttons and cording. The seat is slightly low (16") so we'll have to make up for it with the cushion. The back is very comfortable where it is so the cushion can't be too thick there. I'll see what the cushion person says. Just a thin one would be fine-- just to add texture/color.

The bench was going to have straighter pie cut edges like this:
banquette 14_thumb[3] photo file-4.jpg

but the cab maker thought the edges were too straight/sharp as they were building it- especially being we aren't upholstering the whole thing (even though I love that look!)

Anyway, yes the rounded edges and the way the bench curves will make it easier to get in and out of. That we decided a while back. A straight bench would have been trickier. Now we are working on the table and may need to get a custom one.

The seat depth varies from 19" at ends to 15 1/4" in the middle. I'm hoping it will all work out in the end. These benches are really tricky. I discussed it with cabinet maker but in the end they really did the design and dimensions. We shall see!

The bench length is about 8/8.5 feet. There will also be 3 or 4 chairs around the table for those who may not fit as easily on the bench.

o

Adjacent Room:

DSC00589 photo file_zpse63e3f9c.jpg

DSC00584 photo file_zps78e111a3.jpg

o

Awesome! I vote #5, the interlocking circles with #2, the Jacobean print as runner up. But you couldn't go wrong with any of those.

Congrats on a lovely design.

o

I love the colors and softness of 1, the gorgeous damask with the fabulous blue of five, The textures of six and seven along with the colors. Too hard! I might do a 6 or 7 on the bench and a 1 or 5 on back pillows. That way you can do most of them! Such a fun decision when all the truly big ones are behind you.

o

Second from the left for me too! I love brown and blue together.

Maybe put a few more larger prints like that into the mix so we can see if it's the colors or the print we like.

o

Here are 5 more... lol

A:
DSC00956 photo file_zps70528110.jpg

B:
DSC00959 photo file_zps33966405.jpg

C:
DSC00963 photo file_zps611736cf.jpg

D: less brown IRL - meaning lighter
DSC00964 photo file_zps92a618f6.jpg

E: (pattern reminds me of my pendants but overrall I think it's too bright and busy)
DSC00965 photo file_zps0f479f2c.jpg

o

I like the white embrodered circular on blue along with the 2nd to last [solid tweed]...and play them together-they'll work with living room upholstery and the textured tweed grounds the spot.[I would even do it all in the tweed-but you probably want more variety]-don't forget there is table runner/maybe area rug later/dishware/etc.]

o

I like the scale of the pattern and the subtle tones in the first from the left

This post was edited by island on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 22:41

o

Another vote for 2nd from the left. Your kitchen is looking gorgeous, what a great banquette bench!

o

buildinva and herbflavor -

The tweed is actually really nice- the colors in it and texture isn't reading like it does in person. I also think it will wear well and is good for a food area.

I COULD spice it up with some pillows with a strong pattern.

DSC00949 photo file_zpsd52fd901.jpg

DSC00967 photo file_zpsfa925ba1.jpg

DSC00969 photo file_zps31ae12c5.jpg

DSC00971 photo file_zpsef38039d.jpg

o

First from left, then the fabric second from left. The first has both blue and yellow but subtle.

o

The first one on the left from the first batch and C from the second batch.

o

DSC00972 photo file_zps7d84395c.jpg

DSC00973 photo file_zps99837e37.jpg

DSC00974 photo file_zps3291cbaf.jpg

DSC00975 photo file_zpscdbfe0b9.jpg

DSC00976 photo file_zpsbfc3d11b.jpg

DSC00978 photo file_zpsfd7a95fc.jpg

DSC00979 photo file_zpse787d41b.jpg

DSC00980 photo file_zps7ce5fb05.jpg

DSC00981 photo file_zps188065ef.jpg

DSC00983 photo file_zps1514701f.jpg

DSC00984 photo file_zps558e0550.jpg

DSC00985 photo file_zpse5124e95.jpg

DSC00986 photo file_zpsc82c00a3.jpg

DSC00987 photo file_zps6b1afa3f.jpg

o

I like the 3rd from the left in the first batch.

o

Take some photos showing them all (in different batches if need be) standing on the opposite side of the kitchen, so you can see the banquette in the distance.

o

My eye was instantly drawn to the third from the left. I also think your fabric from the upholstered chairs in the adjacent room would look good too.

o

I vote second from left or far right (from the first batch of pictures). Both are timeless. Far right will not show food/dirt quite so much.

Love the soft blue with silver rings and the soft blue with arabesques, but they don't your rooms flow together.

o

I already posted that the very first fabric is my favorite, I don't want this to be construed as an attempt to vote twice- LOL. Just wanted to add that I also think the tweed is great- 2nd to last in your first post. I picked a very similar tweed for my kitchen stools. Mine has threads of olive and plum where yours has blue and yellow- it looks lovely in my kitchen, subtle, almost solid from afar, and interesting and textural from close by. I think the 1st(and 2nd) photo that you posted 23:17 showing the two together is really lovely.

o

I do really like the tweed for the the reasons you mentioned and think pillows in a pattern would then be fun to add. You could change it up that way.

I'm curious, did DutchWood make the banquette? I'm also planning one for my kitchen an have gotten a quote from them. It's lovely and I can't wait to see the final result.

o

Jfay- No, we used Gilreath Cabinetry in Harrisburg PA

o

Neat, neat, neat! Is there a reason you're not matching the pendants? I do love that yellow...

o

oldbat- I just haven't found anything... I'm using Greenhouse Fabrics and get get them at a great price. Haven't found the right combo of style and color in yellow...

o

I really like the fourth from the left. I think it will stand out against your colors. The samples that are mostly blue might fade into the wall. Your kitchen is gorgeous! Whatever you decide will certainly look fabulous!

Amy

o

I love the muted colors of the first fabric. Your cabinets and marble are the stars of this kitchen.

o

The first from the left in the original photos reminds me of the fabrics you posted way before the kitchen was started. I also like the large mostly blue on the right.

o

Are you doing cushions then and not upholstery as in that photo above? If so, I think either one of the tweeds for the seat would be great. The colors and pattern would form an understated foundation and the durability is perfect for the function. If you use the 'left' tweed (one in from the end) I would use the most left fabric for pillows. I would use the one to the right of that if using the 'right' tweed (the one on the end). I feel like the second one from the left brings in some of the yellow of the lighting a little more.

I would also consider throwing in a third fabric for a pillow or two and/or as a cording. I think the fabric shown in the second and third photos of this last series of photos would be great for that purpose.

Your pattern in the other room window treatment leads me to want that second fabric from the left in the kitchen to marry the styles of the two rooms. Though if you are doing window treatments in the kitchen, one of the two large blue patterns might be good there depending on which looks better with the wall color. I think that would make a big enough statement to coordinate the rooms well.

o

momtofour- Yes doing cushions and not upholstery. I don't think I'm doing window treatments but I was waiting to see how any bench upholstery looks first.

So I think you're saying you like the tweeds with an accent for pillows or perhaps just using the 2nd fabric from the left in the original photos.

There are actually two tweeds that are the same pattern. I only showed the lighter one in the original photo. One is darker and I posted it later. Then there is the very last one to the right of original photo which has more of a pattern to it.

o

OK, tried to take pics from a distance this morning... I took 1 out from original and added in 2.

DAY 2 SERIES:

DSC00988 photo file_zps8a3c74b9.jpg

DSC00989 photo file_zps23bfd0ac.jpg

DSC00990 photo file_zps2f0b3657.jpg

DSC00991 photo file_zps948d2090.jpg

DSC00992 photo file_zpsab8d7219.jpg

DSC00993 photo file_zps50f64e27.jpg

DSC00994 photo file_zpsc53cdbd2.jpg

DSC00995 photo file_zps2a979564.jpg

DSC00996 photo file_zps87f47b15.jpg

o

I am voting for the tweed. I love many of the patterned fabrics but think the tweed would be a beautiful backdrop for accent pillows you can change out from time to time. Some of those fabrics would make great complementary pillows.

The tweed plays nicely with all the surrounding components without stealing any thunder from your cabinets and accessories.

o

Blue with circles is my vote. Everything else is getting lost when you look across the room.

o

Blue with circles is my vote!! Everything else is getting lost when you look across the room.

o

Thanks for the across the room pics. I still like the blue with circles because the blue looks the best with your wall color - seems a bit darker but still the same tone. The others seem off as far as your wall color.
The other one that looks best from "away" is the large floral in the center and it already has some yellow in it.
It also looks best with the blue trim of the cozy on your side counter.
Its a tough decision for any as you can make a case for any of them. But the color on my monitor says the other fabrics dont work as well with the blue wall color.
Are those freezer drawers to the right? drift drift...
Just cant get over your kitchen. Can I come over for coffee?

o

I do love the one with the circles, but it looks very blue from the other side of your kitchen. It's like blue at one end and yellow at the other. I think there really needs to be some discernible yellow in the banquette area. If you plan to do that with pillows, that might work. I think pillows would look good for staging, but don't seem practical with kids clamoring in and out.

I'm drawn to the original second from left and now somewhat in the middle because it has blue *and* yellow and seems to understand what's going on in your kitchen. I also might like it because I'm seeing it in a small sample and may find it too much on the entire banquette. Hard to say. Whatever you choose, I'd prefer to be able to discern a yellow element from across the room, also to warm the blue.

o

I like the lighter background on the large floral to break up the blue, but I can see how it would wear better as pillows. I like the dark gray-blue that outlines the flowers, so that might be another color to bring in. The tweed is a good neutral but reminds me of placemats. The one with the blue barrel-shaped circles outlined in brown has potential as a neutral.

o

I like #5 with the large flowers when I see everything from across the room. # six as a tweed is very nice and I like #8. I love how they bring in your yellows and browns and blues.
This a very tough choice I wish I had to make (LOL). Your banquet is beautiful. I take it that your cabinets flanking the side are 18 inches deep?

o

The big floral!

o

I like the two geometrics (diamond or circles). I could also see the second to last that looks like a textured chennile.

Very pretty kitchen! You must be so excited to be coming down the home stretch!

P.S. Looking closer at your lampshades, I think the Ikat would look good too. Maybe not so much mixing in the blue circles.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 11:55

o

This is fun, but I am late, late, late. Mine might have already gotten ruled out, but I love the blue and gold Ikat from the first round. Was that one too flimsy? I do think it makes sense to bring some gold over there, doesn't it?

o

Fishies,

Why are you not considering anything with yellow? It seems to me that will tie in the bench beautifully with rest of the kitchen.

o

Ok - in the original set of samples I like the one that is second from the left - perhaps as pillows. I liked it for the bench until I saw your LR. It goes well with your chairs but the size of pattern will fight with your curtains and your rug. Too many large patterns.

In the second set I like D, it is a little more contemporary but I notice it isn't on your last photo so maybe already ruled out?

I do like the tweed combined with the fabric that is second from the left in the original photo.

I also, now that I go back and forth, find the one that is furthest to the right, in the original photo, really interesting. In the set of photos where you have them all lying together you have thrown it into the mix and it looks really good.

The only thing I would suggest is that whatever fabric you pick also flows into the LR. The bench is very open to that room and as you walk from the kitchen into the LR your eye is going to flow past the bench and through the doors into the other room. my 2c.

o

I like so many of these. In the very first batch I liked the second from the left (floral) but as I read on and thought more about it, I wondered if you might want to do something more neutral on the bench (like the tweed or one of the geometric patterns- I also like the one just under the tweed in that first post)... and do more pattern & color in your window treatments & throw pillows. I sort of agree that you should do the window treatments first and then re-evaluate. LOVE your kitchen.

o

Your banquette is beautiful! But, I agree with Bee...I would look for a fabric that has the blue, with a yellow background. It will brighten up that side of the room and bring your yellow from the kitchen into the dining area.

Didn't you have some beautiful yellow and blue fabrics, when you were looking at lampshade possibilities?

o

Yes lavender- I had yellow fabrics but they were all very light weight and not good for a bench. I would LIKe to do more yellow but haven't found any that work! Actually one that I chose months ago is now discontinued.

I did like bringing in a bit of the blue with a yellow but it's also hard to find a blue. a lot of them are navy blues or deep royal blue with yellow.

o

The middle big floral, because it combines all the kitchen colors and is bold. If you don't want to be that bold, do one of the blue geometics and make pillows with the big floral. Are you doing curtains? If so, I would figuer that fabric in parellel with the bench fabric.

o

The middle big floral, because it combines all the kitchen colors and is bold. If you don't want to be that bold, do one of the blue geometics and make pillows with the big floral. Are you doing curtains? If so, I would figuer that fabric in parellel with the bench fabric.

o

Then I would choose the big floral in the center.

o

This may be too loud but I saw the wonderful yellow and thought of you.

o

Another from Calico

o

I saw the interlocking arabesques and I couldn't read another word of this thread.

I love those.

When you show the far away picture, the interlocking circles still calls my name.

What is that interlocking arabesque pattern/material? Can you send me a link for the source?

*sigh*

o

I love the first on the left in the first batch (third from left in your latest batch, I think). The muted colors are beautiful and the pattern looks like it goes with your lovely island pendants. I also think it goes nicely with the tweed.

Good luck with your decision!

o

bee- All these fabrics are Greenhouse Fabrics. Here is a link to the one you like...

https://www.greenhousefabrics.com/fabrics/a1746-robins-egg

I'm going to go back to searching through the yellow ones..

o

This is an Sunbrella one they have. I have the swatch and it's much brighter IRL...

o

2LF - I couldn't wait to look on my computer. I still like the 3rd from the left in the first batch - it pulls in the yellow and plays on the green on the wall.
The third from the right in the second batch is OK from color but not sure I like the pattern.
I didn't like the feel of sumbrella fabric when I was looking for ours - it felt too coarse and synthetic.
I also went a solid color on the bench part and colorful on the back - so 2 tone - but I used pillows vs upholstery.

o

I think the 2nd one from the left would look nice, and the 3 one from the right is very nice also. Which ones feel the nicest if you are sitting against them with bare arms or legs? Which will be simplest to keep clean and not lose its feel with wear? The banquette itself is very cute!

o

I think Sunbrella might be a great idea. So easy to maintain. There are a lot more options than they used to have. In fact the woman I am working with just had her banquette cushions made in the kiwi. Gorgeous!

o

Bee- I'd love to do Sunbrella. I looked at 2 big books but couldn't find anything except for the one I posted above. Like I said, it seems finding just the right combo of color/style/texture isn't always so easy.... but then again- what is??? lol
I actually like the fabric you like (the arabesque) better than the circles as the color is nicer IRL with the wall behind the bench.

I'm not going to rush into anything. I've waited this long so I want to make sure I am happy with my decision.

FWIW, my favorite (in the room) so far is the large floral because there is yellow in it and I like the pattern.

Also, several have commented that some of them are not "standing out" and that they are "blending into the room". I don't think that's a necessarily a bad thing. The rooms look great without fabric so I don't necessarily think the fabric has to try to be a star.

o

This one from Sunbrella? Looks like it might coordinate with your yellow kitchen and tie in with the lines of the chairs in the adjoining room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunbrella

o

this one is a jacobean too - called paradise butter

o

Yikes. I want to vote - I really do! but I'm not sure. Love the ikat fabric but maybe not there. I do think that yellow is important there. Bringing in the golden yellow and maybe the rich brown of your countertop will really tie it all together. One of your fabrics, at least one, had all three colors. Enjoy! Fantastic space!

o

I love your curved bench and your room dividing panels!

I have to chuckle because my desk looks just like yours... strewn with fabric samples! I'm picking out chair, pillow and window fabric. My banquette is already upholstered.

I vote for the large floral, either alone or as accent pillows (with the tweed or other texture). You have florals and garden trellis patterns in the adjacent space, and it all flows with the theme. A touch of yellow and/or brown will help tie them all together.

o

i vote for the yellow sunbrella! or one of the yellow stripes might be nice too, but looking at all your swatches, it doesn't seem like you are into stripes? cannot beat the low maintenance of sunbrella. i didn't realize there were so many lovely sunbrella choices either.

o

From your original post with samples in it, the one 2'nd from the left.

I like it best because
1) It pulls in browns from your floor
2) It pulls in greens from your trees visible through the windows above the banquette
3) It has enough yellow tint in it to flow with the entire kitchen

Thanks for keeping us updated!

o

Love the large floral. Are you going to use this space daily? If so, I would imagine accent pillows will be a nuisance! I am a quilter-would be tempted to use several of your gorgeous choices and thereby eliminating the need to choose just one fabric! :)

o

The original second from left, middle now, because it has a large enough pattern, pulls in the blue, yellow, brown, cream from the cabinets, floor, and adjoining LR area, and has the lighter background to make it bright and the pattern pop. Not to mention that I think it goes with the overall style of your kitchen and its elements (e.g. lamps), happy, sophisticated, slightly French.

o

I'm late to the party, but wanted to look at your question as someone who sews.

One thing you need to find out is where the seams will be placed. I'm thinking there might need to be seams at the curves, but I could be wrong. If the are no seams, then you need to think about how the pattern will work when cut on the curve.

Larger geometric and linear patterns might not look so good when they take the shape of the bench. I would take some of your favorites and trace the pattern, or run of the pattern and cut out one of the bench ends to get a feel for how it looks.

You picked some really pretty stuff!

o

Oops....duplicate

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 11:24

o

I have a question: what are your plans for the wall space behind the banquette? Artwork or something with color? If so, could that be something that needs to be factored in before the fabric is chosen?

o

Love the bench. I like these best. They seem practical and beautiful together.

BTW, I recently covered a dining bench in an outdoor fabric and have not found it to be as care-free as I'd hoped. It is sturdy and fade-resistant, but it pills when I remove stains. If you can, test your fabric for stain-removal before using.

o

Another vote for the large, bright floral - but, I agree with the decision that a Sunbrella-type fabric might be a better idea. I would also like to see more yellow.

If you have kids, dogs, or cats, indoor-outdoor fabric holds up much better than traditional upholstery fabric. We have recovered the chairs at our kitchen island several times and have the most longevity from a sunbrella knock off fabric I found at our local salvage freight store. Here is one from another manufacturer:

o

Another vote for the large, bright floral - but, I agree with the decision that a Sunbrella-type fabric might be a better idea. I would also like to see more yellow.

If you have kids, dogs, or cats, indoor-outdoor fabric holds up much better than traditional upholstery fabric. We have recovered the chairs at our kitchen island several times and have the most longevity from a sunbrella knock off fabric I found at our local salvage freight store. Here is one from another manufacturer:

o

Sorry for double posting. Here is another:

o

And one more - these may all be brighter than you are looking for.

o

I like this because it also ties in with the rest of the house. Your bench is FANTASTIC!!! Your selected fabrics are nice but I’m worried about some fight going on between the lamp shade pattern and drapes pattern in the adjoining room.

photo 2littlefishredelmanfabric_zps841e30a7.jpg

o

I like this because it also ties in with the rest of the house. Your bench is FANTASTIC!!! Your selected fabrics are nice but I’m worried about some fight going on between the lamp shade pattern and drapes pattern in the adjoining room.

photo 2littlefishredelmanfabric_zps841e30a7.jpg

o

I also like the yellow sunbrella you showed.

There are so many pretty traditional upholstery fabrics out there! I must really like florals, because this is another that caught my eye:

o

Okay, just one more. Again, not sunbrella type.

o

I like the Jacobean and the two Ikats from the original set of pics. I feel (rather strongly) that yellow needs to be prominent or that side of the room ends up too blue and the kitchen ends up unbalanced. Someone mentioned that the didn't like the Jacobean because the large pattern competes with the patterns in the family room. I am not visualizing how the spaces fit together well enough to assess that, but if they are in the same line of sight it is something to consider.

I like the tweed, but viewed at a distance the yellow and blue just blur together.

It occurred to me that a contrast gold piping might be a way to bring in yellows with a mostly blue field fabric. If you do a tufted back, you could do a solid blue with gold buttons and piping, a la this over-the-top example from Houzz

o

Out of my current fabrics I would do the large floral and MAYBE do the darker of the tweed ones for the seat if I were to break it up. If not, floral for all of it.

I just ordered a bunch of Sunbrella fabrics as I think that would be so great with the kids especially!

****Mom, the kids, and I went out to lunch today and the banquettes had leather (or similar) on the seat part and fabric on the back. I was thinking a leather to match my fabric on the seat part would be great- easy to wipe up. Does that work for cushions when you aren't actually upholstering a seat???

williamsem- I ordered that swatch today : )

ginagordon- thanks- Very pretty but hard to tell from photo. There are so many nice ones but the texture, etc has to be right too : )

michoumonster- I DO like stripes : ) I have 2 striped chairs in the next room (same wall) so I may not want too many but I did order the Striped Sunbrella swatch...

juleecat- Yes, it's for regular use so pillows would be a pain. However, I can always take them out for company
: )

1929Spanish- Makes Sense and a good thought!

deedles- Yes, I'd definitely like to put something there but haven't chose anything yet. I'd prefer to figure the fabric first but yes I AM keeping that in the back of my mind as well : ) Good thought!

mpagmom- Good to know. Was it Sunbrella or another brand?

oasis- All pretty! But, I don't think they are the feel I am looking for. The 2nd to last looks really bright. My yellow cabs are much softer and although I have some brighter lemon yellow accents I don't think it would flow well.

The last one shows really nice colors : )

o

cawaps- I also agree yellow needs to be on that side, but many that are mostly yellow are just too much ... or not the right shade. IF I do a mostly blue I would definitely do some prints/art work above bench to bring in more yellow.

I love your thoughts about adding yellow edging/buttons if I should find a fabric that I need to add more yellow to.

The Jacobean is the large floral right? lol Actually it works well with the other room, IMO. It's not the same wall but you can see it. I will consider that though!

Thanks for your thoughts!

o

Wow, that is going to be a tough decision. Below is one more from the Sunbrella website. I had two wicker chairs in the sitting area of my kitchen that had Sunbrella fabric. They got lots of use as well as exposure to the sun from east, west and south windows and the fabric was still perfect after 10 years. Which I could have found a Sunbrella fabric that worked for my new upholstered chairs in that area. I can tell after 18 months that they are not going to wear as well. Good luck with your decision.

o

badgergal- Thanks for that info! Do you know the name of that fabric? Not sure if I ordered that swatch. Colors are great- not sure about pattern with other things going on but I'd give it a try : )

o

I think leather is a good idea. It is actually very easy to wipe clean. However, do you have pets? My cats' claws have destroyed a leather chair we have. And not due to intentional claw sharpening behavior, just from claws scratching in the process of jumping on and off the seat or the arms. I would assume a dog would do the same, but would also be much easier to keep off the seat.

We also have some microsuede furniture which has proven very durable as well. And it has a nice soft feel. Very easy to clean, liquids don't soak in if you catch them quickly.

o

Yes, by the Jacobean I meant the large floral (2nd from left in your first photos).

And just to be clear, I wasn't lobbying for an all-yellow fabric, or even one with yellow dominant. But I don't like the all-blue or blue/white fabrics nearly as well as ones with yellow or gold or even golden brown in the mix.

I quite like some of the Sunbrella fabrics, and from a pragmatic standpoint they sound great. Hopefully you can find something from them that works.

o

If it's not too late to vote....in the batch of pics you took from across the room, I like the 5th from the left (that's the one that was 2nd from the left in your initial batch). If you want to mix it up a little, use the 2nd one from the left in your across-the-room batch for the seating and the big floral for pillows OR reverse it...I assume you might also put something on the wall, too, so it's not like you have to have ALL the interest in the window seat fabric....

Make perfect sense? lol - reading this over, I'm thinkin' who's on first?

o

Hi Fishie,

Returning after a hiatus to admire your finished kitchen. Fabulous!!

I like the 6th fabric over, because it feels the most classic.

I also like the yellow and blue diamond-patterned one posted by oasis owner.

o

2 little fishes: the Sunbrella fabric I posted is 54" Aries Spring 45629-0000 THE FUSION COLLECTION. It does sem to be the right colors thats why I threw it out there but I do think several over your other possibilities are much classier looking. I guess you consider function over form though.

o

I just wanted to show you the finished bench. The cab guys just left! (They added the panels underneath and other trim...

DSC01005 photo file_zpscb0c5505.jpg

DSC01006 photo file_zpsdc6f6f7f.jpg

DSC01007 photo file_zps1fdbf437.jpg

o

The banquette looks as beautiful as the rest of your kitchen. Can hardly wait to see what fabric you end up choosing!

o

That looks great!
I love the leaf fabric that oasis found.
I would like that for the back and a solid color for the seat.
Otherwise, if no animals- leather would be great!
How thick will your seat cushion be?
I wanted 4 inches but chickened out and did a 3 inch foam(total is a little over 4 with padding and fabric

o

Although I am most attracted to the second from left (first batch), and think that the diamond ikat, which I also like a lot, does the best job of bringing together the blue and the yellow, I think both are a bit busy/loud for the function required. 1929spanish's point about curved seams is also well taken.

One thing I'd do in a heartbeat is get pillow covers made of both of those, and the interlocking circles on blue (which is a wonderful echo of the drum shades in the kitchen). They are just too gorgeous to give up entirely.

I'd go with the soft blue pattern, third from the right in the first batch, and bring in yellow with artwork and pillows or other accents.

o

The more I look at it, the surer I am. But it's your kitchen, and every one of those is beautiful. [ Have realized since posting that I'd previously saved an image of my favorite of these, the second from left in first batch. ]

o

That soft blue pattern (3rd from right in original) is a bit too formal. Meaning, it is velvet (or velvety) and therefore a little impractical for regular use with kids.

o

Fishes love your kitchen and the bench is perfection. Still prefer 1st on the left in the original pic, more so now that I read you plan to have piping and buttons. Don't know how I missed that info first pass thru.
I like that fabric with the combo mpagmom posted. Subtle prints that won't distort with buttons, probably would hide a few spills and I like that they don't scream "Look at me!" from across the room.

But my Q is, have you ruled any out? If so can you repost your narrowed down selection for another vote? Love playing with fabric!

o

The bench is fabulous!

I will try to find a picture of our bench with the different cushion fabric for the bottom cushion. I think leather could definitely be an option for that. I lucked out and found a sunbrella type herringbone in the clearance bolts that I used and I am very glad I did. And I don't have any little ones at home anymore! I feel like the tweeds or a leather would fill that role nicely with bold back cushions to complement.

We were not finished with the kitchen yet so excuse the table and the rest of the mess.

photo 2a224d0e-bc64-4e4f-94b9-872fdf233cf4_zps5f040483.jpg

o

I love the bright blue and yellow floral and also the blue and yellow paisley. Good luck, it is going to look lovely. We must be neighbors. I live in York, PA.

o

Hey All-
I received the Sunbrella Fabric swatches today! They are really nice. However, they are really small to get a god feel of the patterns! (about 3" x 3")

Here are some photos:
1 & 2
IMG_2134 photo file_zps8df53573.jpg

3 & 4
IMG_2135 photo file_zpsea3463ac.jpg

5 & 6 & 7
IMG_2136 photo file_zpsc8dcc5f7.jpg

8 & 9
IMG_2137 photo file_zpseb6f194d.jpg

10 & 11
IMG_2138 photo file_zpsd6732021.jpg

12 & 13
IMG_2139 photo file_zpse27bea18.jpg

IMG_2140 photo file_zps22925a48.jpg

IMG_2141 photo file_zps91d799b5.jpg

IMG_2142 photo file_zps480a7698.jpg

IMG_2143 photo file_zps9bcf11a2.jpg

IMG_2144 photo file_zps08c87dce.jpg

IMG_2145 photo file_zps967c26a1.jpg

IMG_2146 photo file_zpsda942658.jpg

IMG_2147 photo file_zps7cb5abfe.jpg

o

Wow, you have found the most beautiful fabrics in existence in those colors. This is what I would do:

1) Pick one of the fabrics that somehow brings in the color of your beautiful floor (along with the blues and yellows)

2) Put that fabric on the back of the banquette.

3) Put a solid colored vinyl / leather on the banquette bottom (this is what I did on my banquette - fabric on back, solid leather look vinyl on the bottom.) That way, people can slide around on it easier, it won't grab your dress / skirt bottom like fabric will when you slide, and clean ups are a breeze. Stuff tends to drop horizontally...

This is mine from > 10 years ago.

I'm very glad I put vinyl on the bottom because any fabric would have long since worn out. The Raymond Waites fabric along the back has held up fine.

Banquette - Fabric on back, vinyl on bottom for fast sliding photo banquette-fabricbackvinylbottom_zpsad26b6dc.jpg

You might need to turn up the brightness on your monitor for this one. But I like the darker picture because it includes the stagecoach blinds at the top behind the light. I was trying for a Texas country look.

Banquette - Fun hang out place photo banquette-comfyplacetohangout_zps1bca734f.jpg

The only disaster has been to the table finish. Someone left a frozen turkey in a grocery bag on top of the table for maybe an hour. Now there are a spiderweb of hairline cracks inside the finish radiating out from where Mr. Tom the Turkey rested..

It's still the favorite hang out place in the house.

o

I planned on cushions. Can that be done with leather or similar for seat part? Or if I upholster the bottom can that be done here? Not removing bench at this point!

o

Yes, you can definitely do a vinyl or leather covered cushion for the bottom. And I love, love the new fabrics for the back! We have no problem moving on our bottom cushion with fabric, but our bench is straight and only 5 feet long.

You are on the right path! I like the fabrics in photos 9 and 10 and the last photo. Can't wait to see what you pick.

This post was edited by momtofour on Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 9:08

o

I really like the version mpagmom posted up thread (Thurs). Which I think is the part of first four fabrics from the left on the DAY 2 SERIES.

Whatever you pick is going to be gorgeous!!

o

I like #4 of the Sunbrella samples, even though it doesn't seem to have any actual yellow in it. The beige and brown give it nice balance with the blue, and the beige has yellowish undertones (at least it looks that way in the pic).

o

hmm..

In that case, for the bottom cushion, I would do one continuous bottom cushion in vinyl. That would set off the fabric on the back, and then you'd have the Seat-Cabinet-Floor... Color-White-Color effect that looks chic.

Also, I didn't want individual smaller bottom or back cushions that would move around and fall on the floor when people got up and scooched over.

What is the depth of your bench?

I defined my banquette dimensions by going to the local restaurant that had the most comfortable banquettes, and crawling around the banquette with a tape measure.

o

MareLuce...what are the dimensions of your banquette? It looks incredibly comfortable and spacious. I love the curve to the banquette fishies has, but that doesnt work in my space. I am in the planning stages of one and it is not the easiest to figure out what size to make it

o

Looks like a tough decision to me, they are all so pretty - I just wanted to comment on how beautiful your kitchen is. I absolutely love it. Having leather as mentioned above seems like a great idea also - I like that one can slide on it, in and out very easy. This is why I always preferred leather in car interiors.
I think anything you choose will look fabulous!

o

I've just looked again at the long shot of your kitchen, and realized for the first time that a vinyl/leather seat for the banquette would echo the seats of the stools.

Which is inclining me to the tweed as a fabric choice, as the seat would pikc up its subtle yellow tones. If I were you, I'd order enough yardage for pillow covers from a few of my favorites among these fabrics (you can always do the pillows later, and some might work in your living room as well.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here