Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sallyd0929

Should we remove half wall??

Sally Dean
10 years ago

I posted this in the Remodeling forum earlier, but thought I would also post here as well since it's Kitchen related.

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. We can't decide what to do regarding the half wall in our kitchen. It separates the kitchen from the nook. Here are our options:
1) Keep wall the way it is and build a new ledge to match the new cabinets. Also maybe lower the ledge a couple inches.

2) Remove just the top of the wall so it is the same height as the cabinets. Counter will extend over the wall and there would be no backsplash.

3) Remove the wall and create a 9-12" overhang with the new counter. Requires more work.
a. Need to pull up parts of floor and replace boards so they cover area where wall was

b. Need to build backs to cabinets

c. Need to build supports for counter overhang

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I thought removing the ledge would create a more open area...might make the kitchen appear bigger.

Please share your thoughts, concerns, etc. I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!!

-Sally

Comments (8)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

The 9-12" overhang doesn't really give you enough benefit for all the work. It's not enough to sit at comfortably for very long, and you are essentially sitting at the sink.

I would probably leave it as is or shorten it slightly and match the top to the new counters.

• fishymom
    10 years ago

We have a similar set up, with an overhang. We just reno'd the kitchen and raised the counter from sink level to bar height. The overhang is only 12 inches, but we don't sit their for extended periods of time and mostly use it for buffet style serving. I did not like it at all when it was level with the sink!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I like your option 3. It's more work but would look much more naturally functional and updated and as you point out may even give you more "visual" room. Our overhang is only 12" and it's fine. I wouldn't go less than that if you can help it. We use it with barstools and sit there all the time. Great for company as everyone loves to talk to the cook. Good luck!

Our 12" overhang

• Sally Dean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@may_flowers - We are considering putting cabinets on the nook side, like you suggested above and having a wider counter. While searching about how much counter we would need behind our sink since there won't be a backsplash, I came across another post of yours with pictures of your kitchen. It looks great. Could you tell me how large your eating area is? Our nook is on the smaller side, and I don't want things too cramped. If we remove the wall, and put in 12" cabinets, we're really only losing about 7-8", so maybe that's doable.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I would remove the wall, or at least cut it down to countertop height. That way you could have a larger work area of the same height countertop.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Our DR is 98" to the end of the peninsula and 111" wide. Our DR table is 36" wide. It's 41" from chairback to slider and 28" from chairback to peninsula. We've never bumped a chair into the peninsula. I am sitting here now with 11" between my chairback and the counter edge.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

Remove the wall completely, and have the counter extend past the sink at counter height creating a seating are which can double as a buffet for parties. It will make the area more spacious feeling. To get a more comfortable overhang of about 15" you can install a narrow depth bookshelf on the outside end and a cleat of 2x4 bolted to the studs on the wall side. This will take away the need for expensive supports under the countertop material, and will give it a nice built-in look. make sure to put an electrical outlet under the overhang - I find this very handy. To cover the backs of the cabinets, you can order a finishing panel, or, just use drywall painted in the same color as the walls.

If there is a concern about flooring material under where the wall used to be, you can just move your peninsula back by 4-6" to cover the spot, giving you a few more inches of kitchen.