Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

White Calcutta Marble (not Calacatta marble)

carsonheim
10 years ago

Posted over in "Building a House" but wanted to get feedback here as well.

I've had my heart set on Calacatta Oro for the kitchen, but my fabricator told me about a special deal on this "Calcutta" marble. Short story is that one of the granite yards they work with purchased a container of materials from a granite/marble company that went out of business. There were about 50 slabs of this marble in there. They currently have 8 left.

I can get this for my kitchen and master bath for under $40 per square foot installed.

What do you all think about this marble?

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Yes, but then you'd have marble in your kitchen and bath.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

That's beautiful! If you love it, I say go for it.

• huango
    10 years ago

OMG: that is Beautiful!
    Such an amazing price!

(I have Vermont Danby marble in my kitchen).

• romy718
    10 years ago

It is beautiful. I would see how much it would cost to have it honed. Etching (the thing most people can't tolerate with marble is etching) is not as visible with honed marble.

• eam44
    10 years ago

It's very pretty, and much less expensive, for sure, but it's not Calacatta Gold...(can you hear the Sirens singing?)
    {{!gwi}}

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

I like the first marble much more than the last one. I'm sorry, but to me, the last one looks like something spilled on it and stained.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

carsonheim-OMW! $40 dollars a foot installed for THAT? Gasping for air here, I'd snatch that up in a heart beat. If you like it as in not trying to reason with yourself on why you should by it, I'd go for it.

I like the calacatta gold in a backsplash but for some reason not so much in that large slab. I am not sure I've ever seen it i a full slab like that. Hmm. Kind of like canuckplayer said I'd feel like something was stained or that it was discolored somehow.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Isn't that funny - one person's "stain" is another person's "gorgeous." Calacatta Gold isn't for everyone. canuk and autumn, it's great that you don't like it, most people can't afford it anyway. But for those of us, like carsonheim, who love it, nothing compares to its beauty.

One thing's for sure, they are very different stones, both of them lovely, but very different stones. The slab you've shown is whiter than Carrara but similarly priced. You'll get less movement and more linearity from the bargain slab, but you can't go wrong either way.

• huango
    10 years ago

It reminds me a bit of Sochi's amazing quartzite; love it!
    Amanda

You should see the linear lines on the peninsula!

Here is a link that might be useful: sochi's kitchen

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Decided to go for it! Placed the order today. Crazy, we haven't even broken ground yet, LOL!

I'm getting as much lined up ahead of time as I can. My home office is now a warehouse full of lighting fixtures, sinks, faucets, etc. I've got a double oven in my living room, a fireplace in my overflowing storage unit and a fridge and cooktop over at Lowes waiting to be delivered. I'll be sooo glad once we get going on everything!

YAYYYY for counters!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Carsonheim, So glad you bought that "Calcutta" marble as it is gorgeous!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz