Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light granite recommendations for white shaker cabinets

Posted by amandaray (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 20:22

My husband and I are renovating our kitchen with extremely dark bamboo floors (almost black), white shaker cabinets and white subway tile backsplash.

The next thing we are looking for are granite countertops. We are very torn on the color. We would like lighter countertops, perhaps something that looks good with light grey & light beige - as one of those colors will be the all-over kitchen wall color.

We love the look of carrara marble, but we are not willing to deal with the staining & frail nature of the material.

Any recommendations & pictures are much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light granite recommendations for white shaker cabinets

Have you considered a quartz such as Cambria Torquay? Silestone and cesarstone have similar patterns. I used Torquay and love it. Easy to clean and don't have to worry about etching as you do with marble. Picture attached for reference. Good luck with whatever you choose.

o

Amanda,
Go pick out your granite color first.
Go to a yard and see what you think. Or a granite dealer, see if you like anything.
Then pick your wall color and accents.
Granite is an investment, choose what you like, mabey even a pattern.
Paint is cheap, and it will be easier for you to choose your paint color after you choose your granite.
Personally, I would get the marble, and be careful with it.
It doesn't stain that easily if it is well sealed. People have been using it for thousands of years.

o

Kashmir white or a River White. We have Kashmir and love it! We have creamy cabinets, dark wood floors, and Revere Pewter walls, which is a warm greige

This post was edited by edb2n on Mon, Mar 17, 14 at 20:31

o

just an fyi- I was told today that the stones from India (ie, Kashmir, River White, etc) are harder to come by right now.....something about pulling the plug on exporting them or some such. Whatever it is, they said they just aren't able to get them right now. If you find some you like, grab them!

o

I saw a lovely white granite from Canada that was called Bethel White, it was more white than the River White that I saw, but YMMV.

o

I agree with the others that Kashmir White would be very pretty. Another option could be something like White Delicatus:
 photo 385646fb-711d-441f-9a39-9cd1b4294cbc_zpscd1a55f5.jpg

Or if you want a marble look without the worry, take a look at a quartzite like Super White or Luce di Luna
 photo 0edf4c54-3b04-43d1-9abc-a2c4aaf58f3a_zps21951412.jpg

o

I chose Moonlight granite to go with my white cabinets. Paint color is plum and the backsplash is white textured along with a plum mini brick accent.

o

I love the White Delicatus granite counters! I also love the Cambria Torquay counters.

o

I chose white macaubus quartzite which is a natural stone like granite. It has blue/grey lines and rust colored lines on a white base. River white granite is pretty and was my second choice. Don't get super white if you don't want marble. Some stone yards call it quartzite or granite, but it's actually a marble according to some experts here on GW.

o

I love my bianco romano and so does everyone who sees it!

o

Strayer, do you have pictures of your white macaubus quartzite counters? The pictures on the Internet are beautiful.

Nakavi, do you have pictures of your bianco romano counters? The pictures on the Internet are beautiful but the tiny sample at the store did not look like the pictures.

o

I would love to share but not sure how to post pics. I'm at work and I may have to wait till I get home? Can I post from iPhone?!

o

If this works I'm embarrassed it was so easy.

o

We went with Fantasy Brown Quartzite in our walnut kitchen. But I think it would look equally beautiful in a kitchen with white cabinets. And don't let the name fool you either. Look for lighter colored slabs. We found some FBQ that was very "stripy" with heavy bands of brown, cream, white, pale green before we came across this lighter version which we love.

o

I just had my granite installed yesterday... I haven't seen anyone mention it before, but I have Himalaya White.

The lighting is a little off on the images because our electrical isn't complete at the moment.

With a Blanco Truffle Sink

Picture of the whole slab

o

Here is the Macaubus on my island. My kitchen is still being worked on. The perimeter counter is different. I really love Bianco Romano, River White, and there were a few others at the stoneyard that I almost chose. Some granites are more speckly and some have more of a flow or movement. I wanted the movement and a lot of the river whites I saw had that.

If you decide to look for white macaubus call around first because not every stoneyard will have it. Sometimes they say they do, but when you get there you realize it's something else. And some of the macubuses have super dark black lines that go every which way. It took me a while to find the slab I wanted.

o

I love all of these pictures of the white counters! So beautiful! Also thank you Nakavi for learning how to post a picture so I could see your gorgeous counter!

o

Nakavi,

My kitchen layout looks exactly like yours. I have always hated how there is no window above the sink and instead looks into the living room...and there is not a lot of natural light. But, I LOVE your kitchen. Would you please post a few more pictures? :) We are just getting started planning a remodel...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here