Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinson622

OMG! I finally have cabinets...

robinson622
13 years ago

I can't believe this day is finally here. I won't bore everyone with details, but let's just say I met with my cabinet maker in November of 2010. No fault of the cabinet maker, just my poor judgement in selecting a builder.

Anyway, I'm going to try to post a few. I only have the base cabinets right now, and I LOVE them. No high end stuff here thanks to first builder stealing my money, but we're happy.

Ask any questions you'd like. I've received soooo much information over the past years, and I would love to give as much help as possible in return.

Lori

Comments (28)

• stephct
    13 years ago

Wow! They are gorgeous. You must be so excited. I love your island legs, they are exactly what I am looking for for my existing island. Do you happen to know if your cabinet maker built them or ordered them?
    Thanks and congrats!

• jalsy6
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Are those rh glass knobs? I love the look, my cabs are a similar cream, and I'm looking at glass knobs.

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

they are beautiful!!!!

• kngwd
    13 years ago

Wow! They look pretty high end to me! Gorgeous!! you used Joshua, right?

• sumnerfan
    13 years ago

Those are some lovely cabinets. I love the little bead on the inside. I was also excited to see your pulls, they are the ones I'm using. They look really nice. I can't wait to see the rest!

• ravmd
    13 years ago

What a beautiful start! You must be thrilled. The island is gorgeous and the floors look great with the white cabinets... can you give details on the flooring?

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear Robinson, Those are some gorgeous cabinets. They look super high-end to me. I'd love to know more about them -- the paint color in particular. I love your hardware, the beading on the doors, and the overall look of your island with the sexy legs. Can't wait to see it all come together.

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

Love Love the island.... what a great look.. .. congrats

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

You all beat me on that island love. those legs are GORGEOUS and you coulda told me those were high end custom built imported cabinets and I would have believed you! So exciting!

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

They are gorgeous. I'd love to know the paint color too!!

• dee850
    13 years ago

Beautiful! The door style and finish are lovely. Where did you get your pulls? They have a wonderful classic, clean and sturdy look. And such a neat contrast with those pretty knobs!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the kind words!! It's movie night with DH and the kids, so I was getting pressure to get off the computer. "Come on, Mom!!! We're waiting!" I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

The knobs are Amerock Traditional Classics Glass knobs. The item number is AMBP55268CG10. I'm not sure if they are the 1" or 1 1/4" knobs. I can measure them tomorrow if you would like to know. I got them through my cabinet maker.

I'm not sure about the legs, but I can ask. These cabinets are from an Amish Cabinet maker in Pennsylvania. The installer told me he does have another Amish cabinet maker do some of the more intricate work if he is really booked up.

kngwd - You were close! ;) I used Jacob Fisher.

sumnerfan - So glad you like the pulls. That was one of my toughest decisions. Wow there are A LOT of choices!! I was torn between a cup pull and these pulls, and DH said, "Just make a decision, Hon. You're overthinking this." So I did, and I didn't look back. I would probably have been happy with either one, but I am very pleased with my choice.

ravmd - Ok...I got a bit of a chuckle out of your question about the floors. Like I said this house is not high end. It's kind of like the fake Coach pocketbooks, if you get my drift. The floors are......vinyl planks. I originally wanted teak floors, but when we lost over $30,000 from first builder, my dreams of teak floors and granite tops went out the door. Actually, I am extremely pleased with the way the floors are turning out. They are Novalis peel and stick from Lowes (I'm so ashamed -blushing). They were $0.88 a square foot, and the color is Gunstock. They are very easy to install if anyone is on a budget. My 6 year old DD put in a few planks in the hall today! LOL

The paint color is BM Dove White, and I love it. It's not a stark white, even though I like that look too. This color has a warmth to it, or a creaminess. I'm very happy with my choice in paint.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

pretty!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dee850 - I'm sorry I missed your question about the pulls. I also got those from Jacob. (If Jacob only knew how popular he is on the internet. lol). The pulls are Amerock Revitalize in satin nickel.

• function_first
    13 years ago

I have these same legs on my island -- (but used them 180 degrees flipped from this island). I ordered mine from tablelegs.com, they come in a couple different widths and several species of wood.

• chicken1020
    13 years ago

Robinson I think our cabinets lived together! I just got my cabinets from Jacob also in dove white. They really are beautiful cabinets..

• robinson622
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so excited to have this drawer organizer next to the range. It just seems so convenient. Here are a few more pictures. And a few of the bathroom cabinets too.

Kids' Bath

Master Bath

• robinson622
    Original Author
    13 years ago

chicken1020 - too funny...the installer told me they just moved them to the second barn a month or two ago, because it was getting too cramped. :-o I can't wait to see your cabinets. He really does beautiful work. I think he'll get quite a bit of business from my friends and family. I would have paid twice what he charges anywhere else. Now I need to get an estimate on lockers for the mudroom.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful cabs that certainly look high-end to me! Love the style, color, and hardware. No need to apologize for vinyl--it's a very practical floor that comes in many beautiful options (of which yours is definitely one). I'm so glad your new house is getting finished after your problems with the first builder!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much. We have been through so much for the past year and a half. It's so nice to see the finish line. I just realized I said I met with the cabinet maker in November 2010. I meant NOVEMBER 2009!!!

When I say they're not high-end, I don't mean the craftsmanship of the cabinets, I guess I'm talking more about the floors, the countertops, and the appliances. We've become quite humbled through this situation, and we've learned we can live without "things". That doesn't mean I don't have dreams or plans for the future. I am a girl, and.....we love to dream! ;)

I'm going to try to post some pictures of our journey.

Here's where we started. We've lived here since Dec. 2000. Life was pretty simple. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Now the nightmare starts...

Yes...that's snow in my foyer. Builder took roof off and basically took off.

Standing in our living room looking into dining/kitchen. New kitchen was built beyond the tarp.

Hired new builder to take over the mess, and get the house closed in.

And here's what kept me focused, so I didn't have a breakdown. They brought the happiness to our lives when we were at our lowest point. Love 'em!!!

Oh, and of course my big bear who never complained once.

• kngwd
    13 years ago

LOL - I'm on here to much - getting my Jacob the Amish cabinet guy confused with Florida Joshua the soapstone guy!!!

Beautiful home & family! enjoy!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Looks lovely! Your house is a warm home and you have the most important "things" - smiling kids and a goofy dog ;)

I hope the rest of the way is smoother going for you and this is all behind you asap as you enjoy your new spaces!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dianalo & kngwd - Thank you for the kind words. They really do mean a lot.

kngwd - so funny!!!

• mbw1
    13 years ago

OMGosh you have been through so much!! Just building or renovating is hard enough without those kinds of troubles!

Your house is lovely and your kitchen is going to be gorgeous!!

People have always wondered why we go to all the trouble to do all our own general contracting and DIY work............your story is exactly why we never trust anyone other than ourselves...........

• robinson622
    Original Author
    13 years ago

crafterbeth - Thank you. We probably could/should have GC'd ourselves. Dad was a carpenter and still does small jobs for friends and family, but we felt the size of the project was too large to put on him. I love to get in there are do things myself. My brother is very "handy", but he has a full time job, so we figured it would take longer to get finished. Ha Ha - the laughs on us. It sure wouldn't have taken this long. I could really write a book about what happened to us. I feel like I know so much about the construction process now. I truly handled this entire building process on my own. It was quite stressful, and I made 6-7 phone calls a day for months. My GC says I should be ready to contract a home on the side. :) Best of luck to you with your construction project. I think it makes things all the more enjoyable when you know you did it yourself. It's something you and your DH should be very proud of.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Gorgeous cabinets and gorgeous kids! I'm so happy for you that the end is in sight and the kitchen is already so beautiful. Love all the windows and light!

Becky

• shelayne
    13 years ago

OH, your cabs are beautiful--you must be beside yourself with excitement!

And your kiddos are absolutely DARLING!

• robinson622
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the continued warm words. Much appreciated.

Now I'm battling with the thought of spending the extra money, which we really don't have, (but I could probably scrounge some up) for the walnut BB on the island, and then upgrading the perimeter countertops later. Then I think, why should I overextend myself when I'm not going to sell this house for probably another 30 years. Then I think, there are so many other things I want to do to the house (mudroom lockers, built-ins in playroom and hall, bar, I'll never get to upgrading my countertops. My mind is going crazy. I really haven't priced out any granite or marble, so I don't even have prices to compare. Maybe they aren't that much more than the laminate. This is going to drive me nuts!!!