Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyce_6333

Can I trade in my granite?

joyce_6333
11 years ago

I am really unhappy with the slabs installed on my perimeter counters. I've always felt I didn't get the ones I picked out, and they really clash with the slab of blue pearl on the island. I've had the granite guy come out, and he assures me I got the slabs I chose.

I took a pic of the slab I chose. I actually needed 3 slabs, but the other 2 were the same "slice"...so they said.

And here's how I envisioned everything to look. DH really wanted blue pearl on the island, and this slab seemed to complement it well.

And here's a pic of the slab I chose as compared to what was installed.

As you can see the blue pearl definitely clashes with the bianco romano. So, I'd like to trade it in and get something different. Before I contact the granite guy, I thought I'd see if anyone else has done this and maybe offer some advice. What was the cost differential? I'm still not sure what I could replace the blue pearl with that would look ok, so am looking for suggestions as well. Thanks for much for any information or ideas.

Joyce

Comments (11)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

You purchased a custom suit. No one else will be able to fit it exactly like you do. There are no returns on custom products.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, gosh, I realize I didn't state this very clearly. What I'm wondering is if I can trade in the blue pearl, sell it back to the granite place, obviously for less than I paid, and apply that amount to a new slab. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Most of the expense of the granite is in the fabrication. The actual slabs, even a medium priced one like Blue Pearl, don't cost that much. It might be $12 a square foot, but that would be for a whole slab. When you're talking remnant size, which is what an island would be, the price drops. It depends on what size your island might be, but a typical 4x8 island valued as a remnant would run around $200-300 for the stone only. And that is if the fabricator actually wants remnants around their shop and maintains a boneyard.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Can you re-use the blue pearl for bathroom or laundry room counters? Or, in an outdoor kitchen? If you had the blue pearl honed, would that change its appearance, enough that it wouldn't clash?

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

What was the lighting when you chose it and took that first pic? Daylight vs fluorescent vs incandescent will change the look. Take a piece of what u got outside to see how it looks. Maybe the camera flash caused it to look different. I hope you get them to switch it for you. Was the blue pearl more $? Maybe they will take it back if your piece is big enough to use on another job, but most jobs get done from the same slab so maybe not. Try talking to the owner. They should want good examples of their work out there and also good recs to other people. Good luck.

• weissman
    11 years ago

Well, I agree that you can't just trade in your granite because you don't like it - but on the other hand, if the fabricator switched slabs on you then you may have a real issue. The two pictures definitely look different but it could just be the lighting. Fabricators have been known to sell slabs out from under unsuspecting buyers, even when they've been paid for in full. Did you get the slab numbers you purchased or write your name on the slabs? This may just end up your word against his.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

I suspect it is the lighting conditions of a stoneyard versus at home.... I had a really hard time getting good pictures of granite when I was shopping.

One alternative idea for you: if you cannot live with your choices, perhaps you could have your blue pearl cut down to size for a bathroom vanity. It really is a lovely stone.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

In my area people sell granite on craigslist. Not sure how much luck they have but I went to look at some.

• joyce_6333
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am still going to call the fabricator and see if I can sell him the blue pearl as a remnant. He might (?) consider it if I am purchasing another piece. If you don't ask, you never know for sure. Craigs List is a good idea, too. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• mark_rachel
    11 years ago

I think it looks good. It's not exactly what you were expecting, but I think they work well together anyway. Is it something you can learn to love?