Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberley_gw

Anyone do kitchen inspired by 'the chef's table'?

amberley
16 years ago

I am thinking about my layout (in the drafting stages) and am considering making the now kitchen (15x8) and now d/r (11.5'x15) into one room that is centered around the idea of a chef's table like in a resaturant. So, the dining table would be butted up to the island on the short end, sort of creating one large island.

I thought of even going counter height with new table and chairs (which I need badly). As a bonus, this could double as work space. I don't have this drawn out yet, but wanted to get your ideas on the general concept. I would put cabinets all the way across on probably three sides (shallower on one long side).

I like the idea of having my kids close at hand to help with baking, etc. and to be able to sit at the table and do homework and crafts while I am cooking.

Opinions please! :)

Comments (18)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

It depends on where other key elements of your kitchen are located. If you keep all the essentials on one side and to the end of the island/table, it might work. What you don't want is something like the fridge on the other side of the island, so that the island becomes a barrier you have to navigate around several times to accomplish one meal. I have some disappointments with my own new kitchen, which I'm thinking might have been less of an issue if I'd designed more of a galley layout. Having cabinets on 3 sides of the island, even though the island is small and even though it has a prep sink (both of which are helpful) is proving to be a bit challenging. If, on the 3rd side, as you suggested, you only have shallow storage, it could work. But, again, the rest of the layout and how it works with the traffic flow of the rest of your house will say more about the workability of this idea.

• nicole__
    16 years ago

They did this kitchen remodel on The Oprah show. It incorporated an eating area at the end of the kitchen. Take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oprah show kitchen remodel

• chefkev
    16 years ago

Amberly, I am attempting this and am in mid-remodel, I chickened out on posting this before for general comments (first remodel ever), but will post it just to give you ideas. I had to knock out both the living and dining room walls (have done all my own demolition). It sounds like you may end up with a larger space than mine - I had certain limits I had to work with due to load bearing walls. This is only the second time I've posted an image so I hope it works. Hopefully you will be able to put your cursor over the image and magnify it, otherwise it will be hard to read.

The image was made in Microsoft Excel, which isn't really meant for this purpose, but I don't have fancy designer software. Each square represents 2".

Here is a link that might be useful:

• amberley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chefkev-

You have a really unique design, and I think it will be a great success. I am really interested in how your design turns out in real life, as we are planning to do all of our own demo and installation as well. I am knocking out the wall between the kit and d/r, but I can't btwn these rooms and the l/r as this is a load bearing wall. Not going down the I-bean route just to open it up.

My problem has been trying to keep the d/r table in the room, and have island seating as well, and fit cabinets on the 2 long sides and 1 short side. I found a picture of an island height dining table today and thought that maybe I could get rid of the idea of a regular height table all together and butt the short end of the table up to the island. That way the island can be all functional storage (no overhangs) and the table can be moved if I want.

Unlike you, I want the range on the perimeter though, as I have 2 small children, and I don't want them to be able to reach over and get hurt.

I am still drafting on paper (I think better that way), and then I think I will go the computer. What do you think of the table/island idea? Am I crazy to not put stool seating at the island instead and just do a regular table?

We plan to be here awhile (at least 10 years) but not forever.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Is this the kind of island you mean? It's one of the old renderings when I was playing with kitchen plans for us. In my plan the table section had to be a bit narrow so that there was room in the aisles for seated people.

I think I may have misunderstood before. I was thinking you meant cabinets on 3 sides of the room, with one side shallower, but maybe you were talking about the island...

• rosie
    16 years ago

Having your kids right there with you sounds like a nice idea.

I would recommend keeping the table mobile so you can move it out and use that end for additional seating. Also, you might consider a flexible design that would lend itself to bringing out the nice china and linens, as well as the fingerpaints and cookie cutters. Regarding table height, I presume you don't have any elderly or disabled relatives or friends to be considered?

Also, this may not be applicable in your case, but if it is, making sure no TV is viewable from the table so busy parents don't slide into "keeping an eye on" it during dinner helps preserve the family-time function of dining when the dining room wall goes. And kids don't tend to rush through dinner so they can get over to it and other entertainment so much if they can't see and hear it.

• amberley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rhome410- that is sort of the idea, yes! The table would be larger and wider however. I was hoping to do cabs on the three sides around the table- but one side would not be part of the main function of the kit-i.e. bar, hutch for good china, etc.

rosie- I do not have any family members or friends that would not be able to sit at the table, so the height will be okay. Also the table will not be attatched, so it will be moveable. I am ordering a custom table from Antique Tables Made Daily in VA, and it will have 2 leaves. this is an heirloom quility piece, and I want to be able to use is that way even if it isn't in this house. Also, i didn't think an attatched table would be great idea for resale.

As far as the TV goes, we will be putting one in the kitchen, but it is never for viewing during family meals, family cooking time. Honestly I want it in there so that I know when they do watch it, they won't leave their snack crumbs all over the couches and l/r floor!

• chefkev
    16 years ago

Amberley,

You are wise to avoid the IBeam route if you can - It's more expensive and more complicated. It was the only way I could get the space I needed. What will the dimensions of your new room be if you combine the kitchen and the dining room? Also, what will the dimensions of your table be with and without leaves?

I think it's a great idea to have a movable table that can give you several different work and seating configurations As for whether or not to have stool seating at the island, it's all about how you are going to use it. With your table set up, you really may not need it and could benefit from the more convenient storage.

I like the idea of the cabinets on three sides as well. Think about setting up your layout so that you have several different zones that are tailored to how you and your family will use the kitchen. For example, mine is set up for:
    1.) A serious cooking zone by the range and top backyard window with 2 prep counter areas close to the range and relatively close to the fridge and sink
    2,) A cleanup zone in the back corner and side window
    3.) A non-cook zone by the fridge, end of the island and little counter near the dining room which will have easy access to microwave and coffee/tea/cocoa preparation

This way my wife and daughter can fix themselves a snack or small meal, do a little cleanup and chat with me without being in the way when I'm cooking for many hours at a stretch. I've also tried to set it up for community cooking so friends can come over and cook with me. If all stools are moved away from the island, 3 cooks should be able to prep and face each other while one more can be at the stove cooking.

My daughter is 11 now, but I will have small nieces and nephews visiting - I love cooking with kids. I have 27-30" between the back of my range and the end of the seating counter and am having a 10-12" range backsplash and shelf built to protect those eating from the back of the range. My first KD originally had the island seating very close to the back of the unprotected range. I looked at him and said "Nothing says ""I love you"" to your guests like spattering them with hot food!"

I've included a link below from the Kitchen Forum FAQ that was particularly helpful for me in my planning.

If you want the perspective of someone who has never done demolition before and learned some cool things, I'd be happy to give it, but it's highly possible you already know a lot more than me regarding this. I'm not attempting to install my own appliances.

Good luck with your planning. With the help and knowledge from the cool people in this forum you can come up with something really amazing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen FAQ

• amberley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chefkev-

The room will be 15'x20' combined with the island/table parallel to the long side. I am hoping to have a 72" table (without leaves) to fit 5 chairs comfortably. If I can squeeze some inches off this I will, since it will be made to my specifications. Each leaf would be about 2' long, but honestly I am only getting them so I have them. This house was not built for a 10' table!!

I was wondering about the stool seating not so much for myself, but for resale. I probably just need to not worry about that since we are planning to stay at least 10 years.

I am also working withthe zones idea as opposed to the traditional triangle. One of the biggest problems is that the most appropriate place for the sink (under the window) is impossible due to the main electrical panel being directly underneath it in th basement. I am trying to keep the range and main sink and DW on the original galley wall (to save on costs, and also for aesthetics), but that requires moving the fridge to one of the long walls, therefore cutting into the island/aisle space.

This will only be a one cook kitchen, and therefore I don't think I need as much manuevering space as you, and I am small as well. However, I keep trying to fit everything I want and keep coming up with 33" aisles between the perimeter and the island, which I know would be a tight fit. It is all about give and take I have learned quickly.

Hopefully I will have a completed draft that I am somewhat happy with by the end of the week that I can post.

As far as DIY goes, I feel like we are pretty capable, but our biggest obstacle is that we have a 2 and a 5 year old. It will probably take us awhile longer than most DIYers (like WeedyAcres) to finish our project.

And then of course there is the budget....

Thanks for the link- I am reading over that right now.

• luvnola
    16 years ago

I love the design and would welcome it in my own kitchen. However, one point that drew a red flag for me is you mentioned getting rid of your dining room and incorporating it within your kitchen. Do you have dinner guest frequently? If so, are you o.k. serving them in the middle of your work area? Most times I would answer SURE! But other times when we have guest over that we don't know as well I would cringe to have them see what a messy cook I am:)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I do have the same concern as luvnola. Family seated at the island is one thing, but guests for Thanksgiving or a dinner party is another. Do you have another option for such occasions?

The other thing. You may be looking at this kitchen for how you live today, but those kiddos will grow FAST, and you mention staying there at least 10 years. Will this plan work as well when they're 12 and 15 and have lots of friends? And when it may no longer be a one-cook kitchen? My kids love to help and do things for themselves in the kitchen. In a short time you might have one baking cupcakes and one making salad while you make the main dish...and for sure they'd be clearing the dishwasher, setting the table, etc. You won't have to do it all yourself for much longer. You'll want to have room so everyone is not on top of each other or getting trapped in traffic tie-ups. It would really help to see your proposed layout.

• amberley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess that the idea of the chefs tabkle literally means that the guests are served right in the middle of the work area. I like to be involved with people when I cook, and I only cook for people that I know very well. We don't do business dinner parties or anything like that. We generally have buffet style parties and wine and cheese sort of gatherings. We have a very casual lifestyle. Our rowhouse community is very close-knit and casual.

I have a very small family, and my husband an even smaller one. If we are having Thanksgiving diner with my side, it is always at my mom's-she just built a huge addition and has the space. Otherwise, I only have 4 adults and 2 children (myself, DH, DS#1, DS#2, and my in-laws). Regardless of how I configure the space, my kitchen/dining space can't handle a crowd for a sit down meal.

I guess when I say one cook kitchen, I mean using the range. I plan to make the island a baking space where I can have one child on either side to makes cookies, etc.

As far as having friends over and it being more crowded, nothing could be more crowded than the tiny galley we have now.

I plan to post a layout later this week, so stay tuned.

• chefkev
    16 years ago

amberley - I was watching "I want that Kitchens! last night and saw a layout that seems similar to what you have been describing. It looked fabulous. The episode isn't repeating, but with diligence I found a link to pictures of it on the web (see link below - scroll down for more pictures once you get there). I think it's actually similar to rhome410's rendering, but does have a bigger table.

I am not as good as other people at visualizing layouts without a diagram. 15x20 is a great size to work with! (I'm envious.) How wide is your island going to be? I was figuring with 15' that you could have two 2' counters & two 3 1/2' aisles and still have room for a 4' island w/cabinets/drawers on both sides. With the wider aisles it wouldn't matter if the fridge stuck out and it would be easy for someone to pass behind you if necessary. Let me know if I've completely missed the boat on this.

If your table and island are next to each other like in rhome410's rendering and you are still concerned about potential stool seating, would it be possible to have a drop down leaf that normally stayed down with the table up against it, but could be put up for stool seating? I guess it depends what your counter will be made of and whether the leaf would match the counter. Also, I don't know if leaves like that are considered a "design sin" - just thought I'd throw it out there.

Your kitchen idea sounds warm, inviting and intimate to me. I'm dying to see what you come up with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Picture Link

• amberley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chefkev-

OMG!! That is exactly what I had in mind. The placement of the range, sink, and fridge are even about where I had thought of. My door and window openings are completely different, but doesn't change the basic layout. It even has the bar where I was thinking too! And, the table is regular height, and that seems to work fine! The only difference is I want a real wood (and detatchable) table.

WOW! How fortunate for me that you happened to see this!!! Now if only I could have measurements and know how wide the aisles are....

I am going to work on a draft to post later today while the little one is napping. Thanks SO much!!

• chefkev
    16 years ago

Glad it was helpful. Apparently rhome410 should be doing kitchen plans and renderings for the stars. I'd never have thought of your kitchen without her posting that rendering.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

That could be nice.... ;-)

• amberley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, I tried to post earlier, but evidently didn't work...

I am working on the draft now, but probably won't get it up until tomorrow...stay tuned.

Amy

• amberley
    Original Author
    16 years ago

chefkev-

please see my new post with layout:

Here is a link that might be useful: chef's table layout