Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickevette

Stone Experts: Absolute Black Etched! What now?

vickevette
12 years ago

If my sample of honed Absolute Black "Granite" etched (24 hours. lemon juice), does that mean it is not really Absolute Black--or not really granite?

I did some research and found conflicting info--one source said Absolute Black is not really a granite, and another said if a sample etches, it has been "doctored"--whatever that means.

This is so frustrating as I really love marble, but convinced myself I needed to go with a dark granite on the countertops because I do not want etching!

My great idea was to find a very plain granite for the countertops to pair with my beloved Calacatta on the backsplash.

Dang!--If the granite is going to etch anyway--I might as well just get marble, as the etching seems much less noticeable on the lighter, less uniform stone.

Is it just me?? I tried Fantasy Brown quartz as a possible stand in for the marble, and after reading how quartz is the ideal (no etching) alternative to marble, and bringing a sample home--it also etched.

Would other dark granites etch? Any way to research if certain granites contain calcite and others do not? (I thought all granites were basically "bullet-proof" so far as etching was concerned..)

Anyone have any advice or links to info or websites with any info on this? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• weissman
    12 years ago

Granite generally doesn't etch and dark granites like absolute black, blue pearl, uba tuba, etc. generally don't stain and don't need to be sealed. By the way some stone that is sold as commercial granite is technically not geological granite - blue pearl isn't - but they're perfectly nice countertop stones. Sounds like your sample may not really be absolute black - there's lots of inferior stones being passed off on unsuspecting consumers.

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

Try a second test- rub the counter with a clean white cloth that has acetone on it. If any black comes off, your granite has been dyed to make it appear blacker than it really is. Acetone is uesd to clean granite after install to remove any residue and will not harm the surface. It will remove dye though. I would definitely show the sample to your granite supplier and ask questions. I wouldn't accept the slab your sample came from.

• vickevette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I will try the acetone as well on any future samples. The stone yard actually gave me a sample of their AB "tile" as opposed to a piece of slab. I had assumed it is the same material, but maybe not.

From what you both said, may I infer that actual/real AB is a granite, and should not etch, and therefore if a stone is marketed as AB and does etch it is something else? Or is AB one of those stones that varies in its calcium content (perhaps depending on conditions where and when it formed, etc.), and so some AB would etch and some would not? (I've heard that is the case for some of the quartz stones--that they vary in hardness and composition depending on where they came from). Or does AB vary in color, and so they treat the lighter variations with a "topcoat" of some sort, and that is what is etching?

• rocketmomkd
    12 years ago

I don't know enough about granite to comment on the composition of the stone. I don't think any AB should etch. But if you had a sample that was treated with dye, your lemon test may have begun taking the dye out, as acetone would. Also, I don't think it's a matter of some AB needing a topcoat. If it's been dyes to make it appear blacker, you are paying for AB when you may be getting a cheaper or less desirable stone. It may be perfectly fine for a countertop, but your not getting what you pay for and it will fade.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21