Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

granite question with drop-in vs slide-in cooktops

tracey_b
14 years ago

I posted a similar question on the appliance forum:

Is there any cost-savings, granite-wise, if I go with a slide-in cooktop versus a drop-in cooktop? It looks like there would be, but I've never had granite--or a separate cooktop--before, so I don't know what all is involved, etc. I was wanting the slide-in, but got to comparing price and figured I could go with a 5-burner drop-in (36") for a lot less.....then got to wondering about the granite. If I use the slide-in, there'd just be 2 pieces of 3' granite each on either side of the cooktop. If I use the drop-in, I'd have to use the whole long slab, right?

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

With a slide-in you still have the "bridge" behind the range. In other words, the range slides in but there is still a gap between the back of it and the wall that needs to be filled in with something, be it granite, a SS strip or something else. I think the appliance companies make those strips but our appliance salesman recommended that we go with the granite, which our fabricator said he would not charge extra for. On the layout he did for me, the bridge is separate, which means seams on either side, but they should not be very noticeable. I don't know about the drop-in, whether there is a bridge in front as well as in back, but that would be the only difference. However, in the front you may not want a seam at all, in which case it would be more to do the cutout from the granite.

Do you already have a separate oven planned, and can you get by with one? If so, I would think the cost of the cutout would be less than the cost of a whole range. If it is either cooktop and one oven or a range, then the range will probably be less, especially when you factor in the cutout.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. I didn't know about the back piece with a slide-in. But in the drop-in, I think there is a front bridge of granite showing, and no--I wouldn't want a seam there if possible. I'm not talking range--I'm talking cooktop only (doing wall ovens), but I'm assuming that the principle is fairly the same.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

tracey_b, I think what you mean by a slide-in cooktop is a rangetop? Like this?

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, just like that. I was calling it that because someone else in Appliance forum called it that. I'm new to all the appliance terms! My last kitchen was about 14 yrs old and "regular", appliance-wise. I just call it a stove and it means whatever it is I'm cooking on :-)

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

Jsweenc had a really good response - I would only add this - not all slide in
    ranges have to have a "stretcher" piece in the back. Some ranges do not
    have to have this - some do... not all......

From a Fabricator's point of view - a slide in range will help in the layout
    of the pieces on the slab(s) and help you to maximize your stone usage -
    with a drop in cooktop - you have more stone that gets used (with the hole
    for from the cutout yielding almost 3 Sq Ft of waste). You have a finished piece
    in the front and back of the cooktop, where, when you have - say - a 42" wide
    Wolf or Viking range - the unit goes all the way back to the wall with no stone
    behind the unit - except the back splash on the wall....

When trying to get as much out of a slab as possible, and getting everything
    to "flow" with the material - a slide in range (IMHO) will be better for
    stone usage...

hth

my .02 cents worth

kevin

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the help, Kevin. I'll probably check with the fabricator (after asking the GC who to call) to see what he thinks potential savings might be (I have NO idea of the costs associated with granite and its cutouts, edges, etc.--yet).

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

I have a 36" drop in cooktop. My seams are centered on the front and
    back of the cooktop and barely noticable. I'm sure it would depend on your granite, however.

• theanimala
    14 years ago

I love the industrial look of the rangetop, but could not justify the expense compared to a drop-in cooktop. I find most good cooktops to be in the $1000 to $1500 range, but most rangetops are closer to $3000 or more. I don't believe you will find your granite savings to be more or equal to how much more you will pay for the appliance. That being said, perhaps it's only slightly more and the extra burner and professional appearance might be worth it to you.