Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Totally completed bakers table and everyday surprises

remodelfla
13 years ago

Everyday I come home and DH has more surprises for me. Drawers are up, pullouts installed. We have a few little tweaks and issues... but nothing major. The top drawer on the 3 stack below is the wrong one but it'll get changed out. Anyway... exhausted and thrilled. After work moving "stuff" out of my other house, loading up my car, and bringing it down here. Then put away and organizing this kitchen. I have so much more storage I don't quite know what to do with all the space yet. As I get more and more things down here and get to IKEA to buy organizers for my drawers i'm sure I change things out a few times. Here's a pic for ya'! Excuse the tools on the counter. I was too tired to clean them up for the purpose of the pic since they'll be used again tomorrow.

Really, I love you guys for all you've done for me.

Comments (42)

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Wow , your bakers table is outstanding. What a find that was and I love the color. Your soapstone is just beautiful and well your whole space is perfect. You and your Dh have every right to be absolutely thrilled as your dream kitchen comes together. Well done!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

I have so much more storage I don't quite know what to do with all the space yet.

lol, you'll just have to find more things to fill it up with! ;)

just love that baker's table. :)

rest up, you two. thanks for the update.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Can you put my name on the bottom of that baker's table? I really need it when you're done with it.

Every step of the remodel is the best, isn't it? But now for the very best! Using it!

Just tonight I was trying to think what was the best thing in my kitchen. EVERYTHING!!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree pinch me. Everyday we are like two little kids with everything. DH is blown away by the cooktop. Me too... cleanup in this kitchen is a breeze. We wanted low maintance... so far so good. We have eaten every single meal at the overhang. I just pull out the dishes and silverware from the drawers and scoot them across the counter with the food. IT"S SO EASY!! I'm just lovin' everything everyday!

• carrie_eileen
    13 years ago

*drooling*

My initial thought when I saw it was, "Well, hello, there sexy!" It is gorgeous! What a beautiful find - love the color and how the soapstone works with it.

• bellacucina
    13 years ago

LOVE your baker's table. I love to bake and am just imagining all the fun you will have on that beautiful soapstone. And to think that you refinished it yourself!! Enjoy!

• cotehele
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!!

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Oh my, the table is DIVINE!!! Whereever did you find it? The color is perfect, and it looks marvelous with the soapstone top.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Lovely! And par for the course, of course. :-)

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Old long story ae2ga. And old craigslist find from about 2-3 years ago when i started this remodel. I didn't even have a layout at the time. The piece was totally trashed and rusted. I refinished it over a few months. Then it sat in my garage waiting and waiting. finally just completed it with the soapstone and cup pulls

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

remodelfa

Always great following your journey

I just love, love, love that piece - So happy it has such a good home, all the love you gave it shows...

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I so wish I had gotten the email of the people I bought it from. We traveled up to West Palm Beach to a very lovely couple. I've told this story before so sorry to the old timers here. It used to belong to the woman's grandfather and then Dad. Dad used it in his workshop for like 50 years (and Lord did it show). She made me get on the phone with her brother in Boston to talk to him so they could be assured that I PROMISED that I would take care of it and restore it to something wonderful. I really think they would be so happy to see it. The brother "interviewed" me on my refinishing talents! Was worth every penny of the $250 they charged me.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Just beautiful, and a great story too! Thanks for sharing it for those of us who are new(er), and especially for sharing the pictures.

And how exciting to hear how much fun you are both having : ). That's just how it should be!

Becky

• prill
    13 years ago

It's a great piece, but the story makes it so much better. It looks beautiful. Is that the hardware you're using everywhere?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No... just on the table . I think I want to use

or this one:

or something very similar. I haven't finished looking at all companies yet or ordered any samples. saving up some $$$

Now that I'm looking at them side by side... I prefer the first. Open to suggestions of where else to look. These are Top Knobs

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

You did a wonderful job restoring the workshop table into a baker's table! :o) It looks so nice.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Great bakers table! I totally love that there is a story behind it. I eat that kind of thing up! That's why I love old over new any day. Too bad you didn't use HB bin pulls cause I would have totally blogged that baby. Anyway, I dig how you are using the old baker's table and your cabinets and other hardware are very streamlined and modern. What a great way to mix styles. Maybe I can blog your kitchen anyway (if you don't mind) because it is really original.

LOVE your cabinets, btw. What species wood?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sabjimata... I'd be so excited!! We used IKEA boxes and had the fronts made by Scherr's. We upgrade to the premium QS oak in natural with a clear coat finish. I love the graining of natural wood; particularly one that has intrinsic luster. I adore all the flecking and natural striations. To me, those variables brings greater beauty. We're still working on getting pieces up and running. My pantry pullouts next to my ovens have the most beautiful flecking. They be almost done when I get home from work. I'll take pics and post then.

• rosie
    13 years ago

How terrific to come home to that. Your baking table has me yearning, and I hardly even bake. I could stand and fondle it, though, dough not really necessary...

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

I remember the baker's table before it was refinished - loved it then & love it even more now! The color is perfect & the beautiful soapstone..... Can you tell that I'm envious?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also like this pull... thoughts anyone?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see it all together. Won't be long now.... ;)

I like the first handle better because it is more versatile and works with the bin pulls more.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh, that baker's table is to LIVE for!

It looks amazing with your SS! Everything is coming together so beautifully! Congratulations!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I would have gone with the marble, but I love the table just as it is too -- and I envy having more storage than you know what to do with -- even if that is a temporary situation. I can't remember ever having that. :-D

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Good Things Come Those That Wait. And you have waited a long time. Truly a wonderful kitchen is almost born!

Not to worry about "all the storage space", it won't be there for long. You will be finding all sorts of things to put in those spaces.

Regarding the pulls, make sure to get a sample of what you like first. They vary so much on the actual "feel" in your hand. Some are sharp, "ouch", some have a small space between the handle and the cabinet, you don't want that.

I used coolknobsandpulls.com Their website is great. When you find a style you like, you can see the whole collection, as opposed to wondering "does it also come in a 6" and an 8", etc.

Isn't it fun to know that we are as excited as you are for this project to almost be finished? But heavens, what will you do with all that free time of NOT working on the kitchen?

PS, I've been thinking about you last few days remembering the CL marble you bought. I'm going tonight to see a hunk of marble (22"x52") that comes with some sort of wrought iron leg system--I'm thinking of using it as a desk in my dd2's newly redone room. ($50)

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lascatx... I really love marble too but the piece I got was probably premature of me to purchase. It didn't fit quite right and I wasn't head over heels in love with the shiny finish or fancy edging. If I had ever found a piece of honed Calcutta I might have gone with it. But now that I see the kitchen, I dont' know how much I would have love the contrast with my crazy soapstone. The more the soapstone on the table goes to natural and develops a "patina" the more I'm lovin' it. Kinda like a worn pair of old jeans.

Every day I bring more stuff down so I'm sure my storage space will quickly fill up.

bees... it is humbling how excited everyone is for me. And what will I do with the time? Hmmmm... first the master bath, then the screen room, then re-finish the deck, then landscaping, the new furniture, fix the boat, .... a never ending saga. Somewhere in there, I want to switch out our motor home for a trailer and hit the road!!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I can't tell you how cool I think your baker's table is. Because I might slip and say something inappropriate for a family-rated forum. Just think, diner scene in "When Harry Met Sally". I have to go lay down now.

• kaysd
    13 years ago

I love that baker's table! The color, shape, pulls, top -- all so gorgeous together! What are the curved gray/metallic pieces under the shorter drawers on the right side?

I like the 1st of the 3 drawer pulls you posted best. It is clean and modern, and yet the curves soften it and go better with the pulls on the baker's table IMHO.

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Your baker's table is pretty. I remember the before and the after is amazing!

Ditto with how your whole kitchen is coming up! Can't wait for finished pics.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kaysd... those are the original possum belly drawers made out of zinc. They were all rusted and I metal sanded and banged them out with a rubber mallet thing. Guess I'm like Dent Doctor!

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

The story of your baker's table explains part if what makes it so wonderful: that in addition to being shockingly cool, it is unique, sui generis, a thing made your own to the gratification of the former owners' family as well.

You should be warned, however, that NSA satellites have detected great arcs of drool directed to your house from locations all over the world. You may be flattered, but our entire national security has gone to high alert trying to determine the nature of this mysterious "attack."

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

That baker's table is amazing! You did such a great job. Enjoy!!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I'm so glad to see an update! I'm in love with the graining on your cabs and drawers! Soooo pretty! I like the first pull (slight curve softens the look) or the third one (although doesn't have the curve, the curve on the base pieces make up for it).

And I always love to see your baker's table and hear the story! Never, never get tired of it and always copious amounts of drool while I dream about what it would be like to have such a beautiful piece that you lovingly restored yourself! I'm jealous but in a good way. ;)

Can't wait to see more!!!!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like this one too.

I wonder if the "curve in" handle would be uncomfortable. Yea... I know... I gotta order samples. I'm leaning toward the first one and this. My only concern with the first one is that the largest it comes in is something like 6 7/16". I'm wondering if that'll look skimpy on my 36 inch drawers? I don't want to do two pulls. I prefer the look of one. Any other suggestions of bigger (or do I not need them) contemporary slightly funky brushed nickel pulls? My eyes hurt from looking at sites.

• plllog
    13 years ago

It all looks great!

I really like the squared, second to last pull. REALLY like it. Something makes me think it would look good with your fridge too. But the very last one, which isn't as substantial, but is intriguing looking, and might look better on the shorter drawers, makes me think of your hood. I like both, a lot.

I'm not nearly as fond of the first two. The first one is the one that looks like it wouldn't feel good in the hand (which is an empirical question your sample will answer), and they're both very flat. The latter two both have angles and softer edges--both more comfortable and more visually interesting.

But do go ahead and order samples of them all. That'll give you plenty of scope for changing your mind. :D

• Fori
    13 years ago

Very nice!

I think I'd want to keep hardware minimal on those cabinets though, maybe something like this little retro pull (Rejuvenation, of course, but there are copper NOS ones on eBay):

{{!gwi}}

Otherwise, I like the third one you posted. Just to be difficult. :)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Remod--excellent! i've been doing some posts on "budget" remodels using ikea cabs. love that you used the ikea boxes and scherr's doors. qsoak is so fancy!

email me when you are done... sabjimata@gmail.com

you're in the final stretch!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

But there is something so endearingly charming about you when you TRY to be difficult for!... :-)

sabjimata... I'll be delighted to email you when done. We're trying to save up for my sea glass backsplash

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Did you put my name on the bottom of the baker's table yet? PLEEEEEEZ! Everyone wants it and I asked first! Remember, I DO bake! Often. With sugar. Butter. Cream. Yeast. K?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pinch me, I say when we're 90 we oughta have a road trip. Hook that puppy up to a trailer and cross from FL. to wherever you are. We can drink wine, curse, an allow whatever else our failing bodies want to do because no one else will care. Then we'll hire some hunky studs to unload it and bake ourselves into oblivion! You'll end up with the table, cause I'll forget it was mine to begin with.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Come to Iowa in the summer. I'll come to Florida in the winter. Deal. 90 is just around the corner for me. You can have the wine, I'll do doughnuts and peach pie. And a German Chocolate cake. And COFFEE! Lots of coffee!

Speaking of memory......let's not. Every time I hunt for something I just had I shrug and say, It'll turn up. It does make me put everything away instead of put it down. Even if I'm going to do "this" first and then go right back to doing "that". Put whatever I was using back where it belongs 'cause if I don't I'll have no recollection of what I did with it.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Oh my! Sea glass backsplash. Va va va VOOOM!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz