Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendreaming_gw

help with granite selection...

kitchendreaming
13 years ago

hi,

I have white cabinets (Ikea lidingo). I am having a hard time finding granite, I had found a white and black one that I really liked but it is no longer an option (fabricator wants 100 % payment in advance of installation). So I started looking again. My options right now are bianco romano, kashmir white, here is a picture of the kashmire white against my door:

or, one that I found recently, called Shivakashi, raja yellow or ivory brown (it goes by all those names...):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

The reason I like this last one (the shivakashi) is that it has some orange and green in it, it blends nicely with the decorations in my house and will go well with yellow walls...It also has some burgundy on it. What do you think? It seems that it has both cool and warm colors in it and that it will be cheerful...Is it pretty or hideous?

Please give me your opinions... thanks a lot!

Comments (13)

• marcydc
    13 years ago

I think it's pretty and fun!

• Lori Ryan
    13 years ago

I like the Shivakashi. It has some life to it. I am also looking for a granite that will go with white cabinets and a dark cherry hutch/cabinet in my kitchen renovation. I will keep this one in mind. It also looks like it would go very well with your wall color. But after a while if you want to change your wall color, I think you could go another color and the granite would look great.

• Stefaniebb
    13 years ago

I vote for the Shivakashi! I think it looks great warm and does give you plenty of options for accents!

• dee850
    13 years ago

If you are set on yellow walls, I think the Shivakashi is the way to go. Your pulls are ORB? Also a good match. I love Kashmir white granite with white cabinets, but I don't think those would look as good with your other choices.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Bianco romano is beautiful, but from the photo the sample seems to have a much cooler feel than the other sample you seem to prefer. The Shivakashi also seems very alive and organic versus the more "elegant"/relaxing bianco romano. Choose based on the feel you want.

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! So far Shivakashi is winning by a knock out!
    It is true that it has a more organic feel to it, it has the earth colors and greens of a garden... I am worried that it will be too orange, but then I
    tend to gravitate towards orange, yellow or reds...

I am not set on the wall color at all but it will probably be in that spectrum.
    I want the feeling to be fun and sunny.

Thank you all who answered!

What is ORB? The pulls are Ikea.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

ORB is oil rubbed bronze.

• dee850
    13 years ago

Sorry, I should have written out oil rubbed bronze... signs that I'm spending too much time looking at kitchen stuff!

Off-topic: I'm thinking about Lidingo cabinets, myself, and would love to hear about your experience with them.

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dee, My Lidingo cabinets are all in boxes... But the doors look beautiful and they are very silky to the touch. Which countertop are you considering?

• dee850
    13 years ago

We're thinking of going with Ikea's birch butcherblock if we do the Lidingo - definitely low budget for us. The stones I like are not in the cards for now!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

LOVE the Shivakashi!!!!!!!!

even if you change your mind about the yellow paint
    or the greens and warm oranges this stone even in a tiny
    piece is really pretty. It looks perfect with your
    cab. I say go for it.
    ~boxerpups

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

I too like the Shivakashi better especially as you say you like warm colors more than cool. If you were to put together the same vignette with the Kashmir White, I think you'd say "ick".

I have to say I love how you put the paper towel behind the granite as it leans against the wall! I'm doing that kind of thing all the time while DH can't for his life get it LOL.

HTH

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you all!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations