Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_rachel

Backsplash problem. Help!

mark_rachel
11 years ago

Should I take the backsplash all the way over to the sliding door and down to the floor? Or just square it off over the counter? New counters next week!! Ignore this mess! It's been a mess during this facelift.

Comments (27)

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another view

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I would end it with the counter but see what others say.

• heidihausfrau
    11 years ago

So would I. Love your paint color. Can you tell me what it is, please?

• KBH
    11 years ago

Another vote for end at cabs. Love the cabinet color.

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The color is Valspar Artichoke.
    I don't want to stop the backsplash at the end of the cabinets because I want it to go behind the sink. This causes the dilemma of should I stop it at the end of the counter (making the stuff above it look uncentered on the wall) or take it about a foot more to the sliding door. I'm still confused...

• KBH
    11 years ago

Im sorry - didn't explain well - I meant stop at the end of the lower cabs (counter.). I think it would look like it would be just hanging there with no counter under it if you extended it to the door.

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I extend it to the door, I would also tile all the down to the floor.

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

I would just end it at the edge of the countertop. If not, I'd want to tile all the way down to the floor do it doesn't just hang there.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I went through a similar thing as I have a window and door that weren't very far away. I am glad that I stopped at the edge of my counters - Tile Guy said it was the correct thing to do and I trusted his judgement. :-)

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My tile guy said either way would be fine. I have issues with wanting things uniform & semetric. I think if I stop it at the end of the counter, the stuff hanging on the wall will look weird and off center. That would probably drive me crazy.

• corgimum
    11 years ago

teachertile- if you take a photo of the wall from the ceiling to the floor- a straight on view- and a photo of your tiles from a straight on view, I can photoshop the two choices for you. (It would be best if you can move the stuff off the counters and the water thing, too).Also, are you planning to take the tile to the same height as the bottom of the cabinets on the left? Have you thought about adding another cabinet there to balance it out or are they not available? Or maybe some shelving? You can email the photos to me on My Page.

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That would be awesome! I'll take the pic tonight! Can I just post it on this thread?

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Yes.

• Debra W
    11 years ago

I would run one row all the way to the floor beside the cabinet.

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With backsplash

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hopefully one of these will work!

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Can you take a close-up of the tile too?

Also to clarify- you want the tile go 18'' in height?

This post was edited by corgimum on Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 18:34

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes. That would make it uniform with the rest of the kitchen. I guess another option would be to tile straight from the bottom of the window.

• raehelen
    11 years ago

I had a similar situation. But in my case, we had the outlets higher, so I just ran the tile from the window ledge, and then we didn't have to fiddle around with cutting out glass tiles around the outlets. Another factor was that I had plain coloured subways below the window, and multi-coloured glass tiles above (where the window started). so I just did the plain coloured subways to the edge of the counter. I felt it was less obtrusive that having 18" of BS hanging on the wall. Don't think there's a right or a wrong, just what you like. My DH felt we should have continued the whole BS, but in this case I won out...LOL

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Tile to the edge of the countertop

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Tile to the floor

• corgimum
    11 years ago

What I would do:
    Tile to the edge of the countertop
    Get a longer curtain rod so that you can stack the curtains close to the edge of the countertop

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much! This gives me lots to think about!!

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm thinking that I really don't like the top option with the tile cutting off right at the counter. Going down to the floor looks like a little much, but I think with the curtain over and the water cooler back in place, this might look the best.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

I would take the tile all the way to the door and down to the floor. If you or a future buyer decide someday to not to have curtains stacked close to the counter you would have the tiles stopping where you said you don't like them.
    Its not that much more tile to go to the floor/door and you then you have the option of stacking the curtains where ever you want.

• mark_rachel
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the help! The photo shopping is great! Can you do the same thing in my other thread? Another backsplash proble. Help!

• corgimum
    11 years ago

Here's one more with some shelving in that open area. I think it would help balance that wall since you have cabinets on the left of the sink. You could put cookbooks, decorative pieces, etc on the shelves.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living