Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tearose21

Polished Nickel pulldown, Kohler or Newport Brass

tearose21
15 years ago

I would like a PN pulldown but have not been able to see the finish in person. Does anyone have either the Kohler Vinnata or the Newport Brass 94p? If so, what do you think of the finish and how does it perform? Also if anyone has any other PN pulldown I would love to hear about it. It will be paired with a white farmhouse sink. thanks.

Comments (16)

• cheri127
    15 years ago

My contractor has been trying very hard to steer me away from Newport Brass. He says that his supplier has had many fixtures returned because the finish doesn't hold up. Don't know if this is true, but he keeps insisting I'm making a big mistake. Does anyone have a Newport Brass fixture in their kitchen?

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I was seriously looking at the Newport Brass pull down in PN, and was told that the Newport Brass finish held up beautifully and was highly recommended. We ended up going with a single faucet w/separate sprayer, but I've only heard good things about Newport Brass.

• tearose21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

akchicago, thanks for all the insight. I had a feeling the kolher finish was browner looking.

pluckymama, what faucet did you go with? Was it PN?

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Rohl Polished Nickel

• tearose21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, Beautiful! How do you like the side spray? Had my heart set on pull down, but I saw that one in the store (not in PN) and thought it was the prettiest faucet I've ever seen.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

The Kohler Vinatta Polished Nickel is a lifetime finish. It's not prone to tarnishing like natural polished nickel.
    Casey

• friedajune
    15 years ago

Cheri127 - I have not heard that before about the finish on Newport Brass - that's a new one. I am just curious - is your contractor supplying your faucet, or are you buying it? Sometimes contractors steer away from things cause they can't get a big enough contractor discount or pass along a mark-up as easily. That may not be the case with your contractor at all, but we have seen that scenario on this forum many times. Kohler is definitely more readily available to contractors than Newport Brass, and has more emphasis on their contractor relations than Newport Brass.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Tearose,
    I had my heart set on the Newport Brass pulldown until I saw the prettiest faucet I had ever seen as well. It is beautiful and people comment on it all the time. I love the PN finish and the side sprayer works well. It is nice and heavy and does not get hot nor leak. However, there are many advantages to a pull down faucet, like less holes in your counter and the ease of the sprayer being on the faucet itself. The Newport Brass finish is a PVD finish and the Rohl is not which means it may tarnish in time. We have no tarnish yet.

I don't think you can go wrong w/the Kohler Vinatta, NPB or Rohl.

• tearose21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Casey thanks for the finish tip, I will keep that in mind.

Pluckymama thanks for the additional info. I just can't make my mind up!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Tearose, Here is a link to an old thread from when I was looking into the Rohl faucet. You are not alone in having a hard time making up your mind, believe me!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg11123612777.html

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Akchicago, thanks for the info. My contractor passes on his discount so I'm not sure what's driving his comments, unless his supplier has had problems with the more exotic finished? I really don't know. I'm glad to hear others have had good experiences with them, because it's my first choice.

• tearose21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pluckymama, incredibly helpful, thanks! Have you seen the Mico faucet that looks very similar to yours? There is a considerable difference in the cost, wonder why? How horrible would it be to put the kohler or NPB pulldown at the main sink and yours at the prep? too weird? BTW I have a Lacanche cluny (stainless with brass/chrome trim) sitting in my garage just waiting to be installed, demo team started today!!!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Tearose, you are going to love you Lacanche! The stainless is so pretty. We went with the Black enamel, but loved the stainless. jbrodie's finished kitchen has the mico faucet that looks similar to the rohl and I would say for the money you'll save go w/the mico. I also don't think it would look odd at all to have the NPB pulldown at the main sink and the other at the prep. Check out igloochic's kitchen. She has a Lacanche and a pulldown faucet at the main and a rohl at the prep and it looks great. I love the look of the PN. It is such a warm tone and the shiny surface looks great next to the sink.

• tearose21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Pluckymama, I just ordered the NPB pulldown for main sink and the mico for the prep. Can't wait!

• virginiagal
    9 years ago

we are remodeling our bathroom and the showroom salesman seems to prefer moen and kohler. I have asked her to price Newport brass for us too but it is often double the price and she says that there is no difference with the higher end faucets in kohler and moen from newport brass... innards are brass and ceramic for the higher end kohler. another explanation I have read is that nb people don't pump them out by the thousand at a time and hence factory made quicker. I don't know what to think! I can buy nb online for less than the showroom but don't know if it is the same quality
    finish.