Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pupwhipped

jodi in so calif---your tile backsplash?

pupwhipped
16 years ago

Jodi, your tile backsplash is gorgeous. Can you please tell us all the name of it? Wouldn't mind knowing where you got your spice rack either. HA! Thanks for any info.

Comments (36)

• aussies
    16 years ago

I was thinking the same thing! I managed to find this previous thread titled "Show me your mini-brick backsplash...", where jodi_in_so_calif provided more information about it -- http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0113540630985.html

"The name of the tile designer is Jeffrey Court and he is here in California. On his web site you can find the brick under Products: Chapter 9: Pietra Opus: Quartz Brick Fire and Ice. It's about $14-16 a sq. ft."

http://www.jeffreycourt.com/content_p_pietra.asp?ContentId=225

Also, here is a link to jodi_in_so_calif's photobucket:
    http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/newelljo/Kitchen/?action=view&current=fireice_2.jpg

Love the spice rack too ... don't have any info on that though :)

• aussies
    16 years ago

FYI - I've just been looking at a similar tile in somebody else's thread that you might want to check out too: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0317424816684.html?23

HTH

• pupwhipped
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Aussies. That tile is gorgeous. Don't know if I will be able to access it or not. Maybe I could get the spice rack, though. HA! Thank you.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, the backsplash is from a California tile maker by the name of Jeffrey Court.

I bought the spice rack from Costco here is Southern CA about three months ago. It's made by Olde Thompson. I went to their web site and they do not appear to carry the one I have for some reason. Maybe it's exclusive to Costco. I like it so much I'm thinking of buying a second just in case I break a bottle or two. I think it was only $25 and in large part the reason I went with our particular backsplash. LOL (said, only half joking)

{{!gwi}}

To the left of the photo is a niche carved out of the backsplash. The spice rack was supposed to fit inside the niche...until we discovered the over the stove microwave was much deeper than first thought. We all conceded that the spice rack looked just fine in the corner. :-)

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Olde Thompson

• kkal474
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say that your tile is gorgeous!! Was it significantly more expensive because it is a specialty tile or was it in line with some of the more common tiles. We are in the process of deciding on a back splash right now and I truly love what you did. Thanks

kristen

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

Thanks Kristen. The Fire & Ice Quartz Brick I think is more expensive than your standard backsplash materials for a number of reasons.

1. Fire & Ice is a fairly new to market having been just been introduced in 2007

2. There are a variety of sizes and colors of quartz brick plus two different colors of 2" x 2" glass to consider

3. Each piece of quartz brick has to be cut a particular length and mounted on a 12" x 12" net backing so it will fit like a puzzle into the next square

The $14-$16 sq ft price I quoted on another post did not include the cost of installation. We don't know what installation cost because it was included in the quote our contractor gave us and we didn't ask him to break it down for us.

The Fire & Ice was actually a choice we had to make at the very last minute. Our first choice was a silver-grey tumbled slate that was a lovely light, bright shimmery silver. By the time we got around to actually doing our kitchen remodel, the slate was coming out of the quarry as a medium blue. I didn't even recognize the tile when our designer showed us a new sample she had received. We went into panic mode and quickly looked at more backsplash samples she had.

By now our granite (Impala Black) and cabinets (Cherry with a Brandy stain and chocolate glaze) had been installed and we realized the silver-gray would not have been much of a statement but when we found the Fire & Ice, we knew it was perfect. But before we found the Fire & Ice, we saw silver-gray at the Great Indoors or Expo (also now a med blue) and noted for the first time, the actual cost, which was $3.44 square foot. When the $15 sq ft cost of Fire & Ice hit us, it didn't much matter, we only needed 50 sq feet and it was so perfect we never even considered looking any further.

Jodi-

• berryberry
    16 years ago

Jodi - Love your tile. We are going to go with it or fallingwater slate. I am curious - the sample of the tile you posted long ago and the one on Jeffrey Court's website is much more gray - where your pic above is more tan.

Does the tile come in more than one set of colors from Jeffrey Court? they only show the one with more gray on their website. Or is the tile really more tan with some gray mixed in?

Thanks

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

BB, the Fire and Ice will always vary because of the wide range of colors in the quartz they use. We stressed out a bit about what the overriding tone would be at first and actually had the installer replace a few strips that were too light or too dark but overall when it was done it just didn't matter because it looked great.

You should know though that the darkest of the glass tiles (dark Amber) does not come with the backsplash, we purchased a square foot of the 2" glass pieces (~$25) and had the installer replace some of the white glass that comes standard from Jeffrey Court. You'll have to look closely to see the white glass, I count nine of them in the picture below.

We bought the dark Amber glass from a place in San Juan Capistrano, CA called Morena Tile (link below).

To answer your question ... our backsplash is more tan than gray. It looks pretty much as you see in the photo below. Our cabinets however are much lighter than the photo shows (not that you asked :-).

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Morena Tile

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Jodi - thanks that is helpful - especially the info about the dark amber glass. I have a smaple tile on order but wondered ho much variation there will be in color. On the glass inserts - so if you added the dark amber - does that mean the tile comes just with light amber and white glass? Which ones did you replace with the dark amber?

Thanks

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Yes, it comes with light amber and white 2"x2" glass tiles. We replaced only the white glass with dark amber.

The reason we went with the dark amber is because we really couldn't tell, even from the actual sample sheet we had, how dark the light amber would be after installation. Especially since the Jeffrey Court brochure (hardcopy) showed the light amber looking pretty dark (see brochure photo below). When we finally saw a sample mounted on a board with quickset and grout, we knew the light amber was not going to be as dark as the brochure photo and went ahead and ordered an sq ft of dark amber glass from another vendor.

Jodi-

{{gwi:1565829}}

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Jodi - hope you are still reading this. I received in the samples of Fire and Ice and they look great. One question though on the dark amber glass. You wouldn't happen to know the manufacturer of it would you. When I measure the glass squares on the fire and ice, they measure 1 5/8" square. Did the Dark Amber ones you used in place of some clear need cut (you mention 2" squares) or was it the exact size? I am trying to find some darker amber in the same size. Unfortunately I can't find the product on Morena Tile's web site and without a product name, I am not sure I can find what I need.

Thanks

• iwantakitchen
    15 years ago

does this fire and ice have to be sealed? If it does did you also use an enhancer? BEAUTIFUL!!!

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

BerryBerry, sorry, I've been out of the country for three weeks and am just now catching up on emails and forums.

The dark amber glass inserts we bought separately from Morena Tile were exactly the same size and type as the Jeffrey Court Fire and Ice. No modifications were needed other than removing the lighter colored existing F&I pieces and replacing them with the dark amber. I can't give you any more information on what we ordered at Morena but if you call them and tell them you want to match their Jeffrey Court Fire and Ice display glass pieces, they should be able to help you. You might even find the glass locally, just take your Fire and Ice sample sheet and show it to vendors in your area. Someone is bound to know how to get glass pieces in other colors.

IWantaKitchen ... our fire and ice backsplash was sealed but not enhanced. I have considered enhancing it for more pop but that is a project low on the long list of things to still do around the house.

Jodi-

• lrmax
    15 years ago

Jodi, I love your backsplash and would like to use this in my kitchen. Can you tell me where you purchased it? I also live in SOCAL. Also, how is it to keep clean behind the stove? Thanks so much for the information.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Irmax, we purchased it through a kitchen designer in Irvine (Orange County) who has an awesome showroom. I can give you her contact info if you'd like.

I don't cook a lot of messy stuff and have only had the backsplash for about four months so I can't really tell how well it will clean up. It was sealed and we were told it would clean up fine.

If you're in OC, let me know and you can drop by and see it.

Jodi-

• drarc
    15 years ago

Hey Jodi I would love the name as well. I live in Irvine and have been posting a backsplash thread. I have gone to both Decor and Tile in Laguna Hills and Tile Matters in Fountain Valley. Would love to know who you used.

• lrmax
    15 years ago

Hi Jodi, yes I would love the name. I live Huntington Beach and like, drarc, I have also check with Tile Matters. I also have a call into Stone and Ceramic Surfaces in HB to see if they can get it. Thanks.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

The gal we ordered our kitchen floor and backsplash from is Lezlie Lovett and she owns Floorsource which has a nice selection of backsplash and granite, as well as flooring materials. Here is the info on her showroom. Not sure what her hours are.

Floorsource
    192 Technology Dr #N
    Irvine, CA 92618
    (949) 679-2901

Tell her Jodi (and Mark) of Irvine sent you. As soon as you mention Jeffrey Court Fire and Ice, she'll know who you're talking about.

She has an awesome mother and son tile installation team she can refer you to as well. They did an incredible job installing the Fire and Ice which is a fairly new product, so hasn't been installed by a lot of people.

Jodi-

• kakimoto
    15 years ago

Jodi, what a fantastic looking backsplash! We're only in the planning stage of our kitchen remodel, but yours is the first backsplash that I absolutely love.

Thanks for including the details and contact info of the place you purchased it from. We are in Orange County as well (Huntington Beach like lrmax) and will go check it out. On that note, not to hijack the thread, but do any of you in OC have a kitchen designer that you like and can recommend? You can e-mail me or maybe I will just post a new topic.

• drarc
    15 years ago

Thanks Jodi, I will check them out. jaty, on the kd, I worked with preferred cabinet, and they were very reasonable and quick. You need to coordinate the tile and appliances, but they work with a great contractor for electrical and plumbing and they are quick and willing to work with you.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I was just talking to my husband about the extra glass tiles we purchased from Morena Tile and he reminded me that Morena carries two similar looking dark amber glass products.

One of the small dark ambers is layered with what looks like copper foil as one of the layers. It was a special order import, takes three weeks to get and was about $24 for four pieces.

The ones we bought were plain glass pieces that matched the Fire and Ice glass exactly, took a day or two to get, came on a 12"x12" net backing and cost $24 for 36 pieces.

If you're going to contact Morena, you might want to mention this. :-) If that fails, I'm sure Leslie at Floorsource can get them for you through Morena.

Because we ordered and paid for the dark amber glass over the phone and our contractor picked it up for us, we do not have a receipt with all the order info on it.

Jodi-

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Jodi

Thanks for the additional info. I emailed Morena Tile and Rick was quite helpful. He tells me the dark amber tile is "# 39 burnt umber it comes on a 12x12 mesh mount sheet. The cost is $25.75 a sheet ,its described as a 2x2 but its more like 1 5/8x 1 5/8"

Once we have our granite in next week and confirm we are going with Fire and Ice (98% certain right now) I will be calling Morena to order the $39 burnt umber.

Thanks

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Perfect! Thanks for the information on the exact name, price and size BerryBerry.

Anyone living in OC that would like to see the actual backsplash, let me know. We can all have a little GW get together in my kitchen. :-)

Jodi-

• kakimoto
    15 years ago

jodi, actually meeting people from the internet? *gasps* ;) Seriously though, that would be great but perhaps a bit premature for me as I don't even have a design yet. I may hit you up with that offer as we get closer to making some descisions on the details.

lrmax & drarc, thanks for the info. We have met with Kitchen & Bath Solutions as well (different designer) and are awaiting their design. I'll check out Preferred Cabinets as well, was there a specific designer there that you can recommend drarc?

• drarc
    15 years ago

The designer is Julie. It is a family operation. The husband comes over and measures and then you meet with Julie in the store for the final measure. They work with a few granite yards and quote the price with the granite. They also work with a contractor, Marcus that does all the electical and plumbing. They are very reasonable and willing to work through problems well.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Since I continue to receive many email inquiries on our backsplash I thought I'd post a couple more photos.

Jodi-

• sfom2m
    15 years ago

thank you for sharing your beautiful kitchen. i absolutely love what you've done. a fire destroyed my kitchen an i'm currently in the process of rebuilding. can i ask where you purchased your pendant lighting?

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Sfom2m, we bought our beaded glass mini pendants from The Great Indoors. I just checked their web site and it appears they may no longer carry it.

The pendant is made by Tech Lighting. It's called Egypt. Ours is Dark Amber. They also carry Amber and Red. Don't let the web site colors fool you, even though the Dark Amber looks brown, it is the one we bought. The Red is really red not rust or orange looking like our Dark Amber.

Tech Lighting also sells another very similar mini-pendant called Maya. It is shaped more like a China hat and the colors are different.

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Tech Lighting - Egypt

• dandrusko
    15 years ago

Jodi-
    What a beautiful kitchen. Your attention to the small details are fabulous. I know this sounds silly, but I love the simplicity of your outlet covers. Are those stainless or a brushed nickel finish with brown outlets? Any information you could give me on those would be greatly appreciated.

• jotwntee2
    15 years ago

i bought the fire & ice backsplash and it doesnt go with my kitchen!! i decided to sell it. I live in Los Angeles. i have 35 sf. selling it for 420! i bought this for 15 sf and selling it for only 12! If anyone is interesed please let me know. my email is jbhongjan@gmail.com.

• dorothyinok
    15 years ago

Jodi,
    You have truly set a trend all across the country. I'm in Oklahoma. I went to a local store and specifically asked for Jeffery Court, Pietra Opus, Fire & Ice and had a copy of one of your photos with me. They asked if I had already been in and when I said "NO"... they said another lady had just come in recently and asked for the exact same thing! They said that they could get it from one of their dealers. They quoted me $16 and no shipping! Just now, I went to the Jeffery Court website and found that there is a dealer in Oklahoma that carries it. I'm sure that's where my local dealer is getting it from. I'm calling them tomorrow to see if it's any cheaper if I buy directly from them & pick it up in person. I've also asked about getting 2x2 dark red glass to replace some white tiles like you did but the so-called 2x2 tiles really vary, none are truly 2x2... so I'm curious how it'll look. Thanks Jodi for posting your photos...this backsplash is like nothing else I've ever seen. I like being different!

-Dorothy in OK

• NCHeelDDS
    13 years ago

I am close to picking fire and ice for my backsplash, but am getting VERY NERVOUS because of the different shades/colors that I am seeing in different pictures and the sample I have. I definitely like the darker shades. I have read about changing out some of the lighter glass tiles for darker ones and use an enhancer to seal the tile, but I am still nervous it is a huge investment. Any suggestions?

• themastersplan2_live_com
    12 years ago

We haven't finished. No grout, no sealer. Custom glass tiles put into place. Original peachy color tiles were removed. Original clear ones were used. All mesh was removed from the glass tiles. I didn't want to take a chance it would show through. Half our fire & ice tile arrived broken. Be sure to check yours out upon arrival. We did not. The glass tiles are illusion brown, indian red, cocoon black and clear ice. The indian red tiles were hand painted by me with Pebleo Vitrea non-toxic, baked on paint.

This link is some before and after pics. They may or may not be in the right order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations Cabernet

• janiev
    12 years ago

Hi Jodi. I love, love,love your kitchen. I'm wondering how many of the white glass pieces you replaced with the dark amber? It looks like I can still see some white ones.???

• ammie805
    12 years ago

Jodi...I must tell you that I searched high and low online for your backsplash only to go to my local tile store (in Port Jefferson, NY Long Island) to find a whole wall displayed in your backsplash!! I cannot thank you enough for sharing your photos!! You were my inspiration for my redesign. The fact that my husband even loves the tile is an added bonus!!!! Thank you!!!