Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

KAW Margarita Edition

breezygirl
11 years ago

I'm celebrating passing my final inspection today with margaritas tonight! I've been on a margarita kick since the new year and have tried out a few great recipes. I'm making cocktails based on produce seasonally available. I thought I might share some pics and recipes since I know there are other margarita-philes out there too.

Tangerine Spice

1.5 oz blue agave reposado tequila
1 oz fresh tangerine juice
1/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz spiced triple sec*
1/4 oz light organic agave syrup

Party Pitcher:
1 1/2 C tequila as above
1 C fresh tangerine juice
1/4 C fresh lime juice
3/4 C spiced triple sec*
1/4 C agave as above
(Mix in pitcher and refrigerate covered for 2 hrs.)

Shake in cocktail shaker with 6-8 ice cubes and pour into glass rimmed in Allspice Salt.*

*Spiced triple sec:
1 cup triple sec
1/4 t cracked black pepper
1 t cracked allspice berries
2 whole cloves, cracked
1/2" piece of cinnamon stick crushed into small bits

A spice grinder comes in very handy for this. Combine in a bowl or bottle, cover and let stand for 24 hours to infuse. Strain out spice bits.

*Allspice salt:
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 T ground allspice
This makes a lot so you can adjust downwards if you'd like.

{{gwi:1755088}}

Meyer Lemon Margaritas

1.5 oz Meyer lemon tequila*
1 oz fresh Meyer lemon juice
3/4 oz triple sec
1/2 oz (or slightly more if you want a bit sweeter) Meyer lemon simple syrup*

Party Pitcher:
1 1/2 C Meyer lemon tequila*
1 C Meyer lemon juice
3/4 C triple sec
1/2 C Meyer lemon simple syrup*

Shake in cocktail shaker with 6-8 ice cubes.

*Meyer lemon tequila:
Use vegetable peeler to remove large strips of zest only in of 8 Meyer lemons. Place in glass jar and cover with one 750-ml bottle of blue agave blanco tequila. Gently jiggle jar a couple of times per day with lid on. Let stand for 4 days and strain.

*Meyer lemon simple syrup:
Use vegetable peeler to remove large strips of zest from 2 Meyer lemons. Place in saucepan with 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Set over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. When boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes. Cool. Strain.

{{gwi:1755089}}

Pineapple Margarita with Jicama, Cucumber and Chile

1.5 oz blue agave reposado tequila
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz triple sec
1.5 oz pineapple puree*

Party Pitcher:
1 1/2 C tequila as above
3/4 C fresh lime juice
3/4 C triple sec
1 1/2 C pineapple puree*

Shake in cocktail shaker with 6-8 ice cubes and pour into glass rimmed with Guajillo salt.* Garnish with cucumber spear and jicama stick, which help counteract the spiciness of the chile salt when munched.

*Pineapple puree:
3.5 cups of 1" pineapple cubes, either from a can or fresh pineapple
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

Pulse in blender until fruit is finely chopped, then process until smooth and foamy--about one minute. Strain.

*Guajillo salt:
Mix one part crushed or powdered guajillo chile to 2 parts kosher salt. (I couldn't find crushed chile so I bought dried and crushed my own in my spice grinder.)

Yes, all of these are a lot of work to make, but the pay off is so worth it. They are absolutely yummy. I make the party pitcher sized recipe instead of mixing them individually. (I can provide those measures if you're interested.) All have held well in a pitcher in the fridge over night if the entire batch wasn't consumed in one evening, although the fresh tangerine juice tastes a little different the next day.

It helps to have a kitchen slave for the juicing. ;)

{{gwi:1755091}}

Next week is Sparkling Ginger Margaritas if I can round up some fresh kaffir lime leaves. Going into spring, I'll be looking at a Black Current-Rhubarb combo!

This post was edited by breezygirl on Thu, May 9, 13 at 22:23

Comments (19)

• tmy_jax
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

MMMMMMM... Love it! Congrats on passing your inspection!

tmy

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Oh, wow, I'm going to have to get some real tequila and start mixing -- yum! No way I'd put all that effort into making gourmet margaritas with the tequila I've got. Thanks for the recipes, which I've clipped!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Secret? At the beginning of the year, I started using the good stuff and the interesting tequilas we brought back from Mexico over the years. Then I depleted all my stash. With the price of liquor now in our state sky high thanks to less than forward thinking voters wanting to privatize liquor sales (stupid move), I wasn't about to go buy a $90 bottle of a good reposado so I use the cheap stuff. I also began using a giant Costco sized bottle of blanco where reposado is called for because I'm cheap. When I can sneak out of state for better prices, I'll stock up on some of the good stuff again.

I don't really notice a different in taste using the cheap brands in these recipes. I might when using spring or summer fruited recipes. We'll see.

• caliente63
    11 years ago

My liver hates you already! ;-)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

As an old-school kind of guy, I heartily approve of children making themselves useful.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Breezy,

Congratulations! Please do post the pitcher sized recipes as well. How do you keep the pitcher fresh - refrigerator or ice?

Is that a electric citrus juicer? Does it work well?

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Congrats Breezy and just whining here - why couldn't you live on the East Coast, so I could swing by for one of those lovely concoctions?

We need to schedule electrical and plumbing inspections but may put off final for a LONGtime.

How did today go? In and out über fast with no questions or a slow walk through? Very happy for you and DH to have passed, hooray!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Yummy! I'll have to try those when we get our new kitchen! I'm so tired from all the decisions, think I'll stick to the juice box with coconut rum for now.

Congrats on passing!!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your secret, breezy -- let the mixing begin! :)

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

well, you surely have put the blood orange margaritas I made to shame!

And all those times when you talked about cooking from scratch, I thought you just meant food! You go girl. And little boy...

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

oldbat2be - As you are a little further north than we are in the Boston area, at least you are that much closer to NH!

bean

• eleena
    11 years ago

Congratulations!

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Congrats on passing your final inspection! That was very nice of you to make drinks for your GC. ;-)

I love tangerine and lime so I'll have to give that first one a go once there is running water in my kitchen. I wonder if I can get my 4 year old to make drinks for me -- she should earn her keep somehow.

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Caliente--oops! But your taste buds will want to marry you.

Marcolo--Totally agree. I'm a pretty modern woman, but my rules are fairly old-school when it comes to kids.

Lalitha--I will post the party pitcher recipes in the OP after the single serving recipes. I keep them in the fridge. In fact, the larger recipes call for mixing and refrigerating in advance anyway. Tangerine juice tastes much better fresh. I'm surprised how short it's holding time is; not like other citrus.

My electric juicer is a Waring commercial unit DH brought me from work. It works better than any others I've tried. I still have my eye on the Cuisinart unit Ina Garten uses, but I haven't seen it IRL to know if it's constructed better. I juice citrus a lot for various savory dishes, dressings, and sauces as well as citrus-based drinks so I give juicers a real work out. Overall, I'm happy with the Waring.

Oldbat--if you ever get to my side of the country, you can choose your margarita! I think you saw how my inspection went on that other thread. Quick.

Williamsem--I think your juice box and coconut rum combo is genius! And soooo much easier to put together at the end of the day than mine.

Bee--I want to try your blood orange margarita too! I'm linking it below in case anybody missed it.

Thanks, Elena and Tmy!

Kay--The tangerine is one of my favorites. I treat my GC so well sometimes. Must be why she doesn't want to work for anyone else. ;) My 3-y.o. wants to run the juicer also, but doesn't quite have the arm strength to do so. She could probably measure though. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bee's blood orange margarita

• eleena
    11 years ago

Please keep the recipes coming!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Updated OP to add Party Pitcher sizes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This new recipe is light and refreshing! Very subtle and sparkling.

Sparkling Ginger Margaritas

2 sliced ginger root as thick as a quarter, coarsely chopped
    1 fresh kaffir lime leaf, cut in half where leaf is indented (optional)
    1 1/2 oz blue agave blanco tequila
    1/2 oz fresh lime juice
    1/2 oz orange Curacao or triple sec
    1/4 ginger agave syrup*
    Sparkling wine, such as cava

In bottom of cocktail shaker, middle ginger slices and lime leaf until ginger is coarsely mashed. Shake with 6-10 ice cubes. Pour into 6-oz martini glass. Top with sparkling wine. Bruise remaining half of lime leaf by slapping between palms of hands to release aroma. Float on drink.

*Ginger agave syrup
    Combine 1/2 C light organic agave syrup with 2 T water in small saucepan. Set over medium heat and add 1/4 C finely chopped ginger (no need to peel). When mixture simmers, time 2 minutes, then remove from heat and cool to room temp. Strain. Keep in fridge for up to a month.

Party Pitcher
    16 slices ginger as thick as a quarter, coarsely chopped
    8 fresh kaffir lime leaves
    1 1/2 C tequila as above
    1/2 C fresh lime juice
    1/2 orange Curacao or triple sec
    1/4 C ginger agave syrup*
    Sparkling wine, such as cava

In the bottom of pitcher, muddle the ginger and half the lime leaves until ginger is coarsely mashed. Add tequila, lime, Curacao, and ginger agave. Refrigerate 2 hrs. Fill cocktail shaker with ice and 2/3 C margarita mixture. Shake and serve as above in glass with cava and bruised lime leaf.

---------------------------------------

Next week is Black Currant-Rhubarb Margarita!

• AnnaA
    10 years ago

Here's an idea:
    Travel down to Portland, buy your supplies here, stop by and give me a tutoring lesson and taste test and just take home the (crates of unopened) leftovers. :-)

Looks wonderful!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anna--As much tequila and other booze as we've been going through lately (we entertain A LOT), I do think a trip to Portland is in order soon for cheap liquor! Seriously, we are planning a trip to Oregon to shop at a specialty lumber store that carried a wide variety of live edge wood, hoping we can find the right pieces for our mantles.

Black Currant-Rhubarb Margaritas

1 1/2 oz blue agave blanco tequila
    1/2 oz fresh lime juice
    1/2 orange liquor
    1 oz rhubarb puree*
    1/2 oz creme de cassis

Shake in cocktail shaker with 6-8 ice cubes.

Party Pitcher:
    1 1/2 C blue agave blanco tequila
    1/2 C fresh lime juice
    1/2 C orange liqueur
    1 C rhubarb puree*
    1/2 C creme de cassis

Combine in pitcher and refrigerator for 2 hrs. Shake 1 C in cocktail shaker with 6-8 ice cubes.

*Rhubarb puree
    Chop 3 medium stalks (9 to 10 ounces) fresh rhubarb into 1/2" pieces. In small sauce pan combine rhubarb, 1/2 C water, and 6 T sugar. Being to boil, then simmer over medium heat until rhubarb is tender and beginning to fall apart, 10-15 minutes. Cool to tepid. Puree in blender, food processor, or with hand blender until smooth. Refrigerator until ready to use, up to 5 days.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Hey Breezy, thanks for the heads up! I have a beautiful rhubarb plant that I was just looking at today wondering what besides pie should I make out of it. We have a gathering in a couple weekends and I think I'm going to make this. Appreciate the party size recipe, too. It looks delicious! Can't wait to try something a little different.

Awesome! Thank you!