Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finishing tile when there is no wall to die into

Posted by GWlolo (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 19:56

We have a brick wall near the sink where some backsplash tile will go. I need to figure out away to finish the tile edges - both vertical and horizontal. The options seem to be either Schluter edge, bullnosed tile edge, quarter round lengths. I would like some advice and pictures to help me figure this out.

Due to irregularity of the brick, it looks like there will be a thickish layer of mud. Will bullnosed tile edges look weird? Will something thicker like quarter round tile sections or Schluter edge be better?

photo 2B90556A-9818-4202-BF73-616D58D2C170-2402-00000112F3F0A8FF.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finishing tile when there is no wall to die into

In my experience, quarter rounds usually offer more flexibility to uneven surfaces. You can roll one way or the other to make up for thickness differences.

o

If I have multi colored tiles, what color do I get the quarter rounds in? All the colors or just one color?

Are quarter rounds too old fashioned?

o

You're probably gonna need either cement board or a skim coat. That means lots of thickness on all four sides. Plus losing the door trim detail. Why not just seal the brick?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here